Fitting new leather pump cups into the pump tube

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Dean, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

I am sure most of you will have no problem with this task, but today was the turn of a Monitor 17B or High Speed stove, which needed a new leather cup. It makes no real difference what make or model you are working on, mine just happened to be a 17B, which many will realise is a small (half pint) fount with a larger diameter pump assembly.

Fitted the new old stock leather to the brass parts and assembled it onto the pump rod. I then soaked it in neatsfoot oil (other oils are available).

Then came the task of fitting it "frilly end first" into the pump tube. New and bulky leather, all soaked in oil and, there is me, trying to compress the oversized edges into the pump tube. It simply did not want to go.

After some trial and error, I wondered about preforming it to size by fitting the assembly the wrong way around. I removed the cup assembly from the rod and fitted it all the wrong way around on the rod. This meant it was easy to push down the pump tube "frilly end last" and I could give it a few strokes to form it to the size of the tube.

I then removed it again, carefully took the cup assembly off and turned it the correct way around, refitting the securing nut. It was then a very simple matter to insert the preformed cup into the tube.

Regards

Dean

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Good idea Dean. Some manufacturers help a little by forming a chamfer on the inside opening.

John

3. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

That is a good idea.

4. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Good to know it worked :thumbup: