1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fix or replace advice needed

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Adam2017, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Adam2017 United States

I've been strongly debating if I should attempt to repair this (to keep it orignal) or replace it with one that's got much larger holes, any advice? Remaking it isn't the real problem I'm having, the real problem is that the holes are so tiny that I camt find a drill bit small enough but sturdy enough that it won't break off and I'm assuming I won't and same goes with a punch. Any advice would be great!

IMG_4976.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  2. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Hello Adam,

What is it we are looking at? I'm finding it hard to visualise it in use?

Alec.

3. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

4. Adam2017 United States

Hey Alec,

I'm not sure what the name is but it surrounds the burner. Here's a pic of it on the stove IMG_4850.PNG

5. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

I may be wrong, but it looks as if this sits around the wick holder of a wick stove? If so, it is not of great importance for it to be in pristine condition, a good clean to take away the rust and Bob's your uncle! As long as it does not restrict air flow it works fine. If I got it all wrong then please post a photo of the complete stove so that we get a better idea of what we're looking at.

Best regards,

Wim

P.S., I just read your post "Thread size and pitch", so indeed it is a wickie stove.

6. Adam2017 United States

Thanks Wim! You are correct sir, it's a wick stove. :) ( kerosene) I'm gonna just ask this because my goal is to restore it as close as it would be brand new. Can the stove be considered "fully restored" even though the cleaned up mesh or whatever the proper name for it is still has that break in the corner? I do plan on cleaning it up and polishing it even more than it is in my 1st pic