Flame Ring Dimensions

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by kerophile, Oct 12, 2008.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, there has been some recent correspondence about availability of flame rings and the possibility of alternative suppliers or even home manufacture.
    I thought it might be useful to record the appearance and dimensions of some genuine Primus/Optimus flame-rings:

Flame-Rings-1.jpg Flame-Rings-2.jpg Flame-Rings-3.jpg Flame-Rings-4.jpg Flame-Ring-Dims.jpg

Best Regards.
    Kerophile

2. Twodogs

I dont know any thing about the large stoves but looking at the largest flame ring compared to the 210 it must be a beast :shock:,
    Cliff

3. kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. Twodogs

Love it :clap: ,

That really is a beasty :D , thanks for that made my afternoon .

Cliff

5. ci.stovenut

Thanks Kerophile, I was just about to see if I could get some help on CSS about the Optimus p/n 2151 flame spreader ring for my no.1 that is missing,and here you already have the specs. Rather than by going mm sizes,I will probably convert mm's to inch sizes and go that route. :idea: I do believe I can make or fabricate one of the rings from some thin steel or brass plumbing drain collar parts I may have. Seems a lot of these flame spreader rings are missing on a lot of stoves I see on the internet (ebay) for sale. Makes a person wonder how they get lost so easily.

6. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

I have access to several hydrolic presses and a large hand operated fly press. I have wondered in the past if it was worth making up some press tools to make these. They seem to be the "Part that walks" first on the stove. How much are they from base camp and do they have a big supply.

Si

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, Kerophile, and all,

George, your meticulous presentation on flame ring size is simply outstanding!! As always, you are very kind and sharing in your stove research and experimentation, and I very much appreciate it, my Friend!!! Thanks, very much!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi Si

If you can make them for a reasonable price, you will have a very eager audience! :D

9. bark2much

10. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Me 3
    Especially the 00's and # 1 size, that covers most of the stoves I come across.

11. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

I'll have a word with a mate of mine who designs press tools, This may be a bit of a long term prodject, After chating with another engineer friend it seems to not be as straight forward as I thought, so I'll keep you posted but don't hold your breath.

Si

12. kerophile

13. Robtz

Robtz Subscriber

Hi,
    I'm sure that there's a few in NZ who will manage an order for various rings.
    Regards all,
    Rob

14. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

I presume that they are manufactured by cutting a length of tubing and then pressing it to get the required flare. This must result in the flared section being thinner than the straight section, but I can't say I'd noticed this :-k

15. barrabruce

Have to anneal the brass first or other wise it will crack.

Now if me pipe flaring tool was just a bit bigger....

16. theyellowdog

Heres hoping that we do. I have a 111 that would love one of these little head dresses !

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  17. james.taylor250

I don't suppose that anything further has happened on the 'DIY flame rings' and the potential for getting some in NZ?

18. kerophile

Hi James. It is possible to purchase No.1 size flame-rings, made from steel NOS. for approx £1.50 in the UK. New brass ones are £5.

Base Camp now has the brass No.210/Optimus No.00 size back in stock at £5.50 each.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

19. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

James keep an eye on trademe. Theres a guy in Carterton that keeps coming up with unusual primus parts. I bought some optimus 00 style filler caps from him. They are obviously a less than perfectly finished copy but fit perfect and got my Hippolito 1 going again

20. DavidOR

Not sure if this is the same guy, but I recently bought a couple of rings off eBay from him. He lives in NZ. Told me that he was going to be gone for about a month but would be offering more items in June. Goes by Brian.