Flames

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by John Leah, Nov 11, 2009.

1. John Leah

I recently bought a Valor No 55 - my first 'silent'.

1257897183-IMG_0513_opt.jpg

Tonight, following a quick fettle where I flushed out the tank, replaced some washers and the pump leather, I fired it up. It lit easily enough and burned quietly with a nice blue flame.

Here it is flanked by my pair of Optimus '00s' that, as can be seen from the flames, need some work.

1257897212-IMG_0525_opt.jpg

Unfortunately, it failed miserably the 'tea test' as it took ages to boil a kettle.

I removed the nipple, cleaned it with a pricker, relit it and, while it was better, was still disappointing. A quick look at the forum found a thread suggesting a low fuel level may be the cause so I filled the tank and tried again. I can't honestly say there was a massive improvement so will repeat the 'tea test' tomorrow.

Does this look better?
    1257897644-IMG_0536_opt.jpg

Meanwhile I thought I'd better take a look at the '00s' and see if I could improve the flames. Pricking the jets while still burning (I needed the light :) ) I was surprised to see they kept burning but with flame coming out from the base of the nipples - both were loose :shock: I concluded that the PO (both came from the same person) didn't have the right tool for tightening them. I do and, after tightening and straightening the flame rings saw an immediate and dramatic improvement.

1257898087-IMG_0537_opt.jpg

OK, the Valor is a bit yellow but I'd just pumped it up for the picture :lol:

Flushed with this success I turned my attention to one of the blow lamps I recently bought. The nipple was blocked but the pricker cleaned it out so I filled, primed and lit it. Uh, I'm glad I was working outside as I got a flame FIVE FEET long blasting across the patio :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm sure you'll understand that I was rather too preoccupied to take photos :lol:

Cheers,
    John

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Knight84

Hi John,

Nice flames!!! and stoves!!!

Looks like your losing pressure, just a little hurts.

Could be from the burner itself perhaps not being tight. The heat proof gasket could be the cause (between the burner and spirit cup.)

Or maybe and most likely from the filler gasket. I seem to rememeber these stoves have a rubber seal on the pressure release valve.

And you might be losing air through your NRV.

Does the stove work okay when you keep pumping it?
    If it works well for a seconds after you stop pumping then dies down then you are surely losing air.

Hope this helps
    Jeff

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi John, you have a good flame pattern and colour on your burner of the Valor No.55, it's just not getting enough fuel through. I assume you are pumping sufficiently.
    As Jeff says, the most likely cause is loss of air pressure, most likely from the filler cap gasket. If the pressure loss was from any other joint or seal it would be paraffin....and you would surely notice!
    Make a new nitrile rubber gasket for the cap, check the safety pressure-release valve at the same time, then post some more photos.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. John Leah

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Yes, it does get better when pumped up but this doesn't last. I'm not losing any paraffin from anywhere and, as you say, I'd notice - I was from a loose fitting on one of the '00s' and I certainly noticed that :lol:

I'll fettle some more and report back.

Cheers,
    John

5. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

I would say the Valor's problem is likely to be the filler cap gasket . . . you can pump all you like but if that is hard the flame will never last.

6. Knight84

It is hard to tell if it is leaking air when the stove is running.

One trick I use if the stove is full of fuel and I am too lazy to dump out the fuel :lol: .
    I just place my pinky finger (little finger) over the jet and then start pumping. After a few strokes you can hear the hiss normally. I know not much of a trick sorry.

Jeff