Flinson Port-A-Camp

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by paulw101, Aug 19, 2010.

1. paulw101

Hi, all. New to site, and wondered if anyone has seen anything like this. I picked it up on ebay last week, and used it up north camping this past weekend. Works great! Thanks, Paul

1282177996-stove1_opt.jpg

1282178016-stove2_opt.jpg

1282178059-stove3_opt_2_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Archivist

Archivist Archivist

Welcome to the site & thanks for the great pics of an interesting stove. Looks just the job for car camping!

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Evening, Paul,

Welcome to CCS! Your setup looks like it may have been cobbled together with Coleman parts. I'd love to see more of it, like the burners, and such, if you don't mind sharing. Again, welcome, and have fun here! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. hoodie

Nice, I was watching that stove on ebay because I had not seen anything like it bfore. I would take Doc's advice and send in some pics of the parts.

5. paulw101

Here is a picture of the burners, I thought it looked like Coleman parts also.

1282180942-stove4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  6. RonPH

Its a coleman alright but must have been manufactures for another brand.

7. bolexguy

bolexguy Subscriber

I was wondering if that stove would end up on here ha! looked great for a big family car camp excursion

8. flivver United States

Hi all/Paul: Definitely Coleman parts but it is a factory made item. I have come across several in the past. Very cool!! Mike...

9. BernieDawg Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  10. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Mail-order rifles and shotguns, too, in the Boy Scout mag. Those were the days!

11. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, Brother Ed,

You are, oh, so, right, my Friend!! Those WERE the days, indeed!! You know, the funny thing is that, even with all that mail order of shotguns, rifles, and yes, even pistols, very little abuse took place. I'm sure there must have been "some", but in truth, I cannot recall ever having heard of it, until the Kennedy assassination. After that, and GCA became law, it was all downhill from there. Pity, really. There was a trust and innocence that was very warm and wonderful, back then. I miss it, to tell you the truth, and wish we could get back to those halcyon days of old!! Take care, and God Bless
    !

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

12. paulw101

Cool stuff! Thank you for the links!

13. campinut

Hey Paul, I am new to this site. I have been looking for some information to a stove I have owned for about a year now. So I googeled it and this forum popped up. I found it in a barn and thought it was a tool box but much to my surprise it was a Port-A-Camp kitchen stove! I collect camping stoves and lanterns and this is one of my favorites. I am glad to see some more out there...campinut...

1290754278-096_opt.jpg 1290754294-094_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  14. RonPH

No problem campinut, you will get the hang of posting soon enough. Nice set up there. Am partial to smaller stoves although I have a coleman 425 which I use for car camping together with its smaller primus, optimus, svea, phoebus, radius members.

Whats nice about your setup is that you already have a place to hide your cooking utensils :thumbup:

Ron

15. campinut

Thanks Ron, for cleaning up my mess last night! I collect more stoves and lanterns than I will ever use now that I own a camper and have everything I need on wheels. I think the smallest stove I own is a Coleman 502-800 stove and cook kit I picked up at a flea market still in the box and never used for $20 I take it you are more into the brass tank, earlier stoves? It is nice to find a place I can go to for questions about some future projects now. Thanks again...campinut...

16. campinut

More detailed pic's of my 1949 Flinson Port-A-Camp kitchen camping stove. I rescued this one from a barn in Missouri. This was my first complete restoration job on a camping stove. Everything you see was included inside of this stove. aluminum cookware, melmac dishes and cups silverware (slide out drawer)salt and pepper shakers. After a lot of elbow grease sanding, body work, priming, painting exterior and painting interior( High temp silver )This was my reward. After some research on this stove an original decal was not available so I used a Coleman 9d decal because all the components were Coleman. I installed the decal on the inside upper portion of the lid which I think is a better location than the original placement (behind tank)I use this stove as a display piece in my home but could be taken to the woods at any time. For a realistic look I cut bottoms out of the pan and coffee pot and installed flicker bulbs with reflectors and wrapped top burner plates with aluminum foil to reflect the light, giving the appearance of a real flame. My hats off to the Flinson company for a cool idea for camping in the great outdoors....campinut...

17. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Good lucking, useful piece of kit!

Now that is a unique approach to displaying a stove! Put's me in mind of something you might see in a social history museum.

18. fyrwokr

fyrwokr Subscriber

Beautiful. Would love to find one of these.