For all you Gaz globetrotter fans

Discussion in 'France' started by It'l Dodat, Apr 29, 2019.

1. It'l Dodat

For all you Gaz globetrotter fans

The background to this is that I’m trying to put together the hiking equipment tha I had, back in the late 1970’s early 1980’s.

After about a 40 year odyssey, I’ve managed to find just about everything... A Backpacker Kestrel III, A backpacker Elephant, Backpacker Benerdorm sleeping bag, and the Gaz Globetrotter cooker...

But, there is a niggle in the wood there because as we know, the 90g canister for the globetrotter has become obsolete.

So, in my search, I’ve managed to actually find two of them, one very scrappy, and the other almost brand new. So much so, The 90g canister that’s clipped into the burner, and still has gas in it, is probably the one and only canister that’s been on the burner.

After much deliberation about cutting the clips and welding in an extension, or bending up new clips I decided to try and bend up prototype clips just for a look see...

So, The original clips are made from 4mm diameter wire, but I don’t know if it’s a higher carbon metal, or if it was hot bended, or both, so for a prototype, I simply used 5mm galvanised fencing wire....

And really, A vice, a hacksaw, a file and a ruler where all the tools I used.... It’s so simple it’s stupid

Once completed, with great trepidation I clamped in the bigger canister, and with thoughts of gas and canister exploding in a thousand directions I screwed down the burner & punctured the canister.....

And the prototype worked perfectly, so much so, I’m not going to make another!

So for all you globetrotter fanatics, here is s simple a way of modifying the canister clips, to suit the 190g canister, without having to ditch the burner.

Personally I so much prefer the globetrotter’s burner because it has a little windshield round the burner, whereas the other types don’t, or the windscreen is too far from the burner.

Ok, so that’s part 1 of the whole modification.

Now because it’s taller than the original, the two billies won’t close over each other, so I’ll be fashioning a tube out of a thin piece of aluminium sheet that will go round the canister & burner but inside the billies so the the billies will be like caps over each end of the tube....

Here are some pics, I’ll do comments on each of the pics, just click on them.

globetrotter mod 00 90g cannister obsolete.jpg globetrotter mod 12 old and new side by side.jpg globetrotter mod 11 so good keep the prototype.jpg globetrotter mod 10 the underside brilliant.jpg globetrotter mod 09 my verson fot bigger canister.jpg globetrotter mod 08 the original.jpg globetrotter mod 07 comparason to orig good.jpg globetrotter mod 06 comparision to orig great.jpg globetrotter mod 05 bend 5 and all straigtened up.jpg globetrotter mod  04 bend 4 65mm inside legs.jpg globetrotter mod 03 bend 3 32mm to centre curve.jpg globetrotter mod 03 second bend 95mm.jpg globetrotter mod 02 first bend 25mm to inside.jpg globetrotter mod 01 5mm galv fence wire and tools.jpg

2. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

clever project.
    when you make your old camps please post the photos.

3. It'l Dodat

Hi Dave...

I’m planning on doing a car-camping trip, with some hiking / backpacking <never quite knew what the difference is, but there is> thrown in.

My intention, in my old age is to replicate what I managed to do as a youngster.

Back then it was Bikes / touring / stealth camping / hiking as many of the noteworthy places that I could manage to visit. A list of the places I experienced won’t be of much use to you <unless you know my country> but it’s quite a list..

Great memories, and glad to have done it, but I don’t want to do it again... Many of the places I went to back then have been messed up, and I’m glad to have my memories, as it was, back then...

So in my older age, the plan’s been to do this car trip but with a little difference, now I want to visit all the small little settlements.... You know, those that are not on the map... Where a mere 500 people have settled... Taste the flavour of the place... Hike / backpack / bumble around and see what’s there, why people settled there..... See the sights

Doing this has been on my bucket list, for a long time, and how nice would that be, to do this adventure, using the same gear I had back then....

The gear I had is no longer manufactured, and in the case of the Globetrotter you can't get the 90g cannisters, so silly things like the colour of the tent and the backpack are not quite the same and the cannister is bigger, but after a 40 year odyssey it's as close as I'm ever going to get...

here are pictures of the rest of the gear... so far.... Most of the other items are army issue stuff, which I have, but the KEY gear is all the same

Cooker
    Backpack, <Backpacker elephant>
    Sleeping bag Backpacker <benedorm 3 seasons>
    Mess kit
    Tent Backpacker <Kestrel III>
    Back then, in the late 70's early 80's this was the finest gear money could buy in SA.... Until the advent of the geosedic dome, this tent was the tent of choice worldwide for Himalayan expeditions.... beat that!

globetrotter mod 08 the original.jpg backpack 3 compression straps.jpg sleeping bag outside first time out the bag.jpg sleeping bag lable.jpg Backpacker Benederm Sleeping bag.jpg backpack first gear cook & eatware & globetrotter.jpg Tent Backpacker Kestrel 3 green bath-tub floor.jpg Tent Backpacker Kestrel 3 green front vestibule.jpg Tent Backpacker  Kestrel 3 Green full pitch including fly-sheet.jpg Tent Backpacker Kestrel 3 green full pitch including fly-sheet 01.jpg Tent Backpacker Kestrel 3 green full pitch including fly-sheet 02.jpg

4. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

@It'l Dodat If you make the aluminium pot set extender so it wraps twice around the stove and put a couple of pegging out holes in it you could then unroll it and use it as windshield.
    Regards
    John

5. It'l Dodat

Hi Jeopardy, thanks for posting, I do so appreciate the conversations and input.

Yes thats the plan. I envision 4 holes at one end, through which I will put 2 pieces of say 4 or 5mm aliminium wire horisontally and stick out so that they will also "keep" the folded sheet "open".... But... That will only give me a windshield as high as the stove, and as you know it needs to be a tad higer to be effective, so until I can figure that out.... Part 1 complete, part 2 ?............ Well its still a-cookin in my frozen-mincemeat I call a brain....

6. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

I'm a sucker for the old Gaz stuff.
    Is simple enough to refill the old canisters.....

I too am scheming a retro kind of trip, and my globetrotter will be there. I am lucky enough to still have a stash of canisters should I decide to use a virgin one.
    Keep the pictures coming!

7. It'l Dodat

Yes, I’ve seen that, <re-filling> and one thing and another decided to go this route, It just seemed simpler and cost effective.... I live forever in the hope that I’m gonna come across a pile of the 90 grammer’s at some sale or other.... Gives me something to look forward to.

I’ve got the 2, so the brand new one is for display only, and I’ll camp with the older one that I modded

8. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

@It'l Dodat I'm lucky enough to have a complete globetrotter plus a second pan set. I've one unopened 90g cartridge that I've managed to avoid using for quite some time although that day will come. Once that has been used, I did think about unscrewing the burner and fitting it onto the valve body of a Coleman F1 Lite so we'll see if that works if it ever transpires.
    The second pan set is enclosing my Optimus 123R, a job they could have been designed for.
    Regards
    John

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  9. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Great project!

The Gaz is a classic, to be sure. Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier, Summer 1963:

[​IMG]

10. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Love the old picture Ed.

11. It'l Dodat

SIGH...... Yip..... memories..... Had a lot of fun yesterday, <a public holy-day here> going down that exact road.... Memory lane... Spent the day finally putting my sleeping bag, tent, cooker ,as far as I've got it> sleeping mat into the backpack... First time since 40 years ago....

Remembering all the little tricks how I strapped the tent to the bottom of the bag so that the loop through which the strap passes does not take the weight, the strain of cinching the straps tight round the tent and things like that really brough it all home...

This time though, I'm going to incorporate an evolution that I've cooked up that had it's roots from later military service, where we where issued chest packs for ammo... I've converted one into a day-trip resource chest-pack, It works well with the back pack, reduces the weight in th back pack, and transferres it to the front (i'm better balanced) so essentially, the backpack mostly stores shelter / bedding & bulk supplies.

BUT this is a stove forum, there was an article somewhere here about making a device to transfer gas from a screw in version to a puncture / bayonet version, through the burner header... Something about leaving the globtrotter head in-situ and removing the jet???.....

Hope someone will rememeber and post the link....

Here are some pics of my chest pack, haddent pulled it up to my chest yet.

hiking-survival pack straps on in front.jpg hiking-survival suppl. pep. spray, knife & ligter.jpg hiking-survival equipment compact binoculars.jpg

12. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

13. It'l Dodat

Update on the Gaz mod....

Seems I wasted a Sunday! bendin and twistin and restartin.......... Went to the flea-market last Sat, and I could have bought a junked prick system cooker with extended legs for R20 bucks ZAR

Bwhahahahaahwaaaa :doh::doh:](*,)](*,) :rage: :cry: :cry:

14. It'l Dodat

So I popped in at the flea market and got lucky.... Another Globtrotter complete with billies and handle, and 2 UNUSEDcanisters....

The burner's well used, the billies are OK, one has a minor ding but it's the cannisters.....

So now, I have a pristine unit, with a half full canister clipped in and 2 unused cannisters.. She's gonna be, <As somebody here said>... A shelf queen.

Brings my globetrotter collection to 3, one pristine, one OK but self modified <see above post> for the bigger cannister, and one, without a handle for spares...

I've been dragged away from the project of making a wind deflector / billy-can tube for my modified one, because I'm re-configuring my Landrover Discovery II into a one person camper, so that I don't need to tow.... So far I've got it asll functional, but I've got to get it ready for June 16 holiday get together, but I'll get there...

The pic of the self modified one... Stupid me.... Spent a goodly part of Sunday afternoon bending legs, when I can buy a junked Gaz cooker with the longer legs..... Saw it the week after I made mine, Last week it was not there, but the seller says he'll bring it next week...

globetrotter 1 near pristine shelf queen.jpg

globetrotter 3 for spares.jpg

globetrotter 2 modified set.jpg

globetrotter 2 modified legs stupid me can buy.jpg

globetrotter almost pristine.jpg

globetrotter 3 full set and 2 canisters.jpg

15. Chris J United Kingdom

Only just come across this forum and joined immediately. I feel like I've come home! I have my original GT Mk1 complete with about 5 of the 90g cartridges. I also have the MkII version stove with the matching lantern in their carry cases. Imagine thinking that you're the only person left on the planet with one of these then finding this! Frankly I've too many stoves to mention - but now I'm thinking is too many really a problem?

16. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Welcome! Pull up a seat, make yourself at home. No one will mind if you light up a stove on the coffee table.

17. Chris J United Kingdom

Well they might when I tell them that I just went and had a look and in fact I have 7 of those 90 cartridges. :oops:

18. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Welcome @Chris J so long as you have at least one you can refill to your hearts content.

I now want a Globetrotter.

19. Chris J United Kingdom

I wish, but they're old style pierce able canisters.

20. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@Chris J There is a wealth of info here.

Refilling gas canisters

Make.yourself a LARGE quantity of tea and look around the site. The search facility will throw up something before checking historical threads.