Found a 111B

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Migwar, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Migwar Lebanon

I have doubts, I am being fascinated with stoves, while that wasn't my hobby for long time, I discovered for the last 10 days my only concern was acquiring knowledge and reading about stoves. What triggered the enthusiasm was a PT-1(Not a pity One at all ) which I found last year. After that, A Standard 296, a Primus no.1 and recently an Optimus 5r. Then today a 111B, yes found this treasure today and liked to share some pictures, I've spotted it on a local website, it is not at best condition and I am pretty sure it needs plenty of work, the burner looks tired (The seller claims it works), I didn't however resist to pay for it as is (few photos as received from the source below) and supposedly it will be dispatched towards the end of this week. If there are different types, models, or manufacturing dates for such 111B, and any other advices, please don't hesitate . All the best. Migwar Screenshot_20210726-214706_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210726-214651_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210726-214637_Facebook.jpg

2. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

condition is "typical"
    -----------
    if it will be Yours "first time" with 111b
    read here 111b not staying lit.
    what is "windshield" in 111b

3. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

Does it fold out? It's been modified to run without tilting the tank forward, somewhat like a 99.

But generally the 111 series are hard to stop.

Read up on the 111b and don't be tempted to test it until you have ensured safety.

4. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

epic version of "111b windshield meaning"
    "last week hunteed"]last week hunteed[/URL]

5. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Usually they need the pip in the NRV changed as petrol seems to be hard on them.
    Duane

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

7. Migwar Lebanon

Well thank you all, @gieorgijewski @hikerduane @Scrambler
    @kerophile the thread contains important and satisfactory information indeed, will go further once I put my hands on that stove which is not delivered yet. Below 2 more pictures, one of them barely showing the 111 B engraved on the box. Screenshot_20210727-143708_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20210727-143734_WhatsApp.jpg

8. kerophile

Hi @Migwar the Op.111B is a Coleman fuel/ gasoline-fuelled only stove. It will not run satisfactorily with kerosene as the burner cannot support vaporisation of that fuel.

upload_2021-7-27_13-27-19.jpeg

From 1957/8 Optimus catalogue
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  9. Migwar Lebanon

Well @kerophile . Many thanks first.

Getting back then to the dilema we are facing in our country.
    We are not sure which one is what :roll: .

Coleman fuel/naphtha is off-topic here, and I'm not sure what an equivalent would be (speaking of 50-55 Octane rating only).
    Gasoline not clearly identified and not sure it is available (I doubt it is benzene here because car petrol here is benzene / which is extremely dangerous I guess) the same apply for Kerosene (they also call it "Kaz" here with a "K"), the latter is what I am using for the Primus 1 and Optimus 5r currently (burns well but not the cleanest ever).

Anyway, I'll only burn the stove if I can find the relative correct fuel without causing any problems. Thank you once more for the additional and supplementary information.

10. Migwar Lebanon

When they mention in that catalogue "consequently ordinary car petrol containing lead too" do they mean the regular 95 octane? Not sure what was defined as ordinary at the source during 1957/8. Thanks

11. kerophile

Hi @Migwar Once the stove is fully fettled, with all new washers and seals it should be OK to try your Op.111B with modern automobile gasoline..... you should be sure to do this outdoors with a fire extinguisher and empty bucket available for any problems.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

12. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

First thing to check for is that the pump rod doesn't rise up after pumping. That would indicate a leaking NRV valve, letting fuel enter the pump and possibly igniting a fire. Best wishes with your new stove.

Tom