Found old 426D

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by giddyfielder, Jul 20, 2019.

1. giddyfielder United States

Today I somewhat randomly decided to buy an old camp stove from a church garage sale, and it turns out it is a 426D inside of a green canvas zipper bag that looks like it was made for the stove (somewhat beat up and dirty). After getting home and opening it up, i found it also has a fold-up table and little aluminum shelves that attach to the sides.

Anyway, it's pretty dirty inside with grease from cooking, and I'd like to try cleaning it up before doing much with it. But I don't know much about this and I don't want to damage it. Wondering if I should take it apart, or if I should just use a grease cutter like dish soap and a brush? I've also never even used a camp stove like this before. How do I go about testing it safely? will be on the lookout for some coleman fuel I suppose.

Thanks for the advice.

2. Haggis

I bought a 426B today, and it needs a cleaning as well. I’ll just be using dish soap and a sponge. Mine lights up and works already, but if it didn’t, I’d start by a good visual inspection of the tank, for cracks or leaks. Then try to pump it up, and listen for air leaks...

These are simple stoves...

5ED68E4E-5914-46A5-89EA-528D4641E37C.jpeg

3. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Soap and water will do fine. Brush is fine if you're not talking about one with metal bristles.

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Welcometo CCS.
    Photos are well liked here.
    Great find. The 426 often had a stand inside. The shelves are a super plus.

5. giddyfielder United States

Here's a couple pictures. And the bag is stained (maybe fuel?) and a bit rough on the edges, but it seems like a nice touch!

20190720_201550.jpg

20190720_201653.jpg

20190720_201617.jpg

6. Haggis

I have a 413 2-burner with a zipper bag such as yours,,, very well made, but I’ve yet to find a pair of shelves such as yours.

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Most likely, after cleanup, you might only need to replace the filler cap gasket and oil the pump cup leather.
    I would pump it up and check the next day if it held pressure.

I have my parents 426D that they bought new.
    @Cavry gave me a set of those shelves.

8. giddyfielder United States

Oiled the leather and pumped it up, it held pressure overnight! I disassembled everything and am cleaning it up. Also found the date stamp on the bottom, 72. I'll try firing it up in a couple of days, once I'm finished.

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

10. Duck

Duck United States Subscriber

I don’t care what you paid for a 426 with stand carrying bag and the highly sought after chef trays. Very nice. Ok so your tank holds pressure now take it outside add fuel (Coleman or similar) and pump it up with the lighting level in the up position open the valve and you get a mist put the lever down and get a stream. If you do that means your pickup tubes and generator is clear and your good to fire it up. Congrats on finding such a great setup. And post pics of it lit.

11. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

They are very nice stoves. I am keeping a 426D on the camper this season, along with a 502 for four burners. I might replace the 502 with one of my 413G stoves. The 426 is basically a three burner 425. I like the bigger spacing of the 413 for bigger pans and the Coleman oven. Brad

12. giddyfielder United States

Finished cleaning up, and here's the first run.

20190721_204429.jpg

13. Barrett New Zealand

14. giddyfielder United States

The picture hides a lot of flaws, there are quite a bit of dents and paint chips in this! But it works, and looks good (i like that it's been used)! i wasn't going to admit, but the church sale was a donation sale. They items were donated, and it was pay what you wish. I had zero clue what I was getting here but I paid $15. They were very happy to sell it and were just glad to find someone who could use it. I had been considering getting a stove but was not even looking for one, just happened across it and decided why not give it a try. Pure dumb luck here folks...!

15. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Congrats! You got a winner.

....Arch

16. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Yahoo.

17. Duck

Duck United States Subscriber

Well that cleaned up nice. And you you got it working with just some elbow grease. Again congrats on getting a nice setup. If your curious go on eBay and search for Coleman chef trays, you'll see just how good a deal you got. Now keep your eye out for an oven.