Found svea 123 in a closet

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Jake, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Jake United States

Currently at my parents place where I found what I believe to be an original svea 123. My dad says it must be about 30 years old and we ended up trying it out and it works! Is there anything I should be aware of with this stove? Any advice is appreciated. I was able to find a needle tool, the fuel cap, key, and windscreen after I took the photo.
    503941BA-F418-4D96-9682-907DC67302DC.jpeg

2. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

Nice one. I guess you need the Cup/Cover and angled lifter, but most people now switch them out for an 18 Oz GSI cup, the kind that fits on the bottom of a Nalgene bottle.
    Runs on Coleman fuel.
    You can prime it with an eyedropper full of white gas in the priming well at the base of the regulator stem -- but the preferred method is to keep a small bottle of ethanol alcohol like Everclear or Kleen-Strip for a priming shot. Less sooty, and a lot safer.
    Don't use ammonia-based brass cleaners [Brasso, Dura-glit ] as the ammonia ruins the metalurgy of the brass alloy when exposed to high heat. Citrus based cleaners are safer.
    Have fun.

3. Daryl

Daryl United States Subscriber

What you have is apiece of early light weight stove history between 50 and 70 yrs old. It is still made today which should say something about how it has stood up to the test of time. Take some time and read about it history and thank your Dad for keeping it indoors, looks to be in good shape. To polish or not to polish its up to you. These little stoves always work and put out a lot of heat and I find cast iron pans a very good match. stay safe

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

5. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

@Jake
    Nice finding.

Now that the little stove has seen daylight and fresh fuel - beware - these are known to breed in the dark when left unattended 8]
    Suddenly you will start to see a raise in your amount of stoves and a decline in your savings [-o<

(its a great hobby for lots of us in here from around the Globe)

Best wishes - looking forward to a flame shot ;-)

6. redbaron8 United States

Great little stoves. I have the one I bought in 1972 for use in the scouts. Still use to this day, usually about once a month. Stupidly simple and dependable. I got a pump for it about 30 years ago. Makes it as simple a lighting a match to fire it up. Great find!.