Franken-Svea 121, late Optimus-made.

Discussion in 'Svea No:121' started by Staffan Rönn, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner Subscriber

In my stash of relics, I found this incomplete Svea 121 of late Optimus manufacture. It also did not have a correct pump rod. So I decided to make it complete by fitting/replacing the missing/wrong parts. What I did not notice from the beginning is that the pump tube has been replaced with a larger diameter one, so the spare 00-pump rod I had does not fit. Instead, the pump rod from an Optimus 45 fits. The stove seems not to have been used, but I have no record of why the larger diameter pump tube has been fitted. Possibly someone in the old R&D team just played around practicing soldering or something.

As found:

IMAG8891.jpg
    IMAG8892.jpg
    Burner marking "Optimus Sweden" (so probably later burner) and flame ring marking "Sweden Sweden":

IMAG8893.jpg
    Stamping "Made in Sweden" on bottom of tank:

IMAG8895.jpg

Pump rod from Purgatory or something. It has a brass lid, but aluminium rod and plastic knob.

IMAG8894.jpg
    Next to a Optimus 00 spare pump rod:

IMAG8897.jpg
    Traces of solder job:

IMAG8896.jpg
    Fitted with the few parts missing. I'll have to find a spare No. 45 pump rod to make the stove complete, the reserve lid has to fit somewhere when the stove is assembled. I'll make my mind up later if I should light it or keep it as is.

IMAG8898.jpg

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Interesting. If only it could tell its own story.

3. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner Subscriber

You could say that again @snwcmpr ...
    As long as I have been acquainted with Optimus (beginning early 1990's), this stove was always in the office exhibition. It probably had been there since a while, I think the 121's were discontinued in the 1970's.

So - this unit has seen the old office in Upplands Väsby, the following offices in Solna, Hammarby, Skarpnäck and finally Sollentuna. It's seen (and heard) a lot of employees and up to some 10 CEO's. It has probably heard a lot besides having been under the knife for that pump tube surgery...;)