French? Stove Ekinox

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Matthew92, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Matthew92

Matthew92 SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi stovies :p , it's been a while since I've posted any thing here, but if I'm honest, I haven't really bought much in the way of stoves. That is until I found this stove at the car boot this morning. I was in two minds as to whether or not I should buy it, but decided I'd probably regret it if I didn't, so here it is. I don't seem to have had much luck finding anything about this one so I thought I'd post it here, see what I can find out and then post it in the gallery. Hope I haven't bought a heap, :doh: . If it's of any help, it's a big old beast at 26 inches from one wooden knob to the other.
    The tanks reads

"EKINOX L.B MARQUE & M LE DEP B TE SCDG"

The letters underlined, are also under lined on the stove and although also capital, they are smaller than the rest of the writing.

1396210181-Stove_a.jpg

1396210188-Stove_b.jpg

1396210195-Stove_c.jpg

1396210203-Stove_d.jpg

1396210210-Stove_e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

In 1925, it would have cost you 160 French Francs.

The single burner, has two cast iron legs, and would have been a third the size of your two burner.

The bunsens on these, Coleman copied on the 502.

If you do not like this POS, I will happily take it off you Matthew

3. Matthew92

Thanks Ian, so is Ekinox the make? I imagined it was but nothing seems to come up when I google it. No plans to part with this one yet, but I'm thinking a few of the three leggers might have to go. :D :lol:

4. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Matthew. If you Google "Ekinox rechaud" a few old ads will come up.

'Bte' is 'Patent'.

'SGDG' is 'No government guarantee' which was the French gov effectively saying "Although we've granted a patent, it is no guarantee that it works or is safe".

Hope to see you again at Newark.

Terry

5. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

That is a wonderfully and stereotypical French stove from between the two great wars. Nice find.
    Terry is correct in saying Bte = patented as it is a shortened version of breveté . Similarly I take "M LE DEP". To mean Modèle déposé. Or registered design.
    Regards
    John

6. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Matthew

Yours is Model No 5 - I have got an email with all the stuff on, I will find it and send it to you tomorrow.

Trojandog/Jeopardy
    SGDG etc is stamped all over French stoves, Petrol, Alcohol etc etc

7. Sparky

I cannot add to the technical details but that is one gorgeous stove!

8. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

No, you've not brought a heap, Matthew.

It'd be good to see you - and the stove - at Newark.

John

9. geneislucky

It is gorgeous

10. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

G,,day. very nice.
    in one way I hate the colour, but love the looks it gives to the stove.
    if it was just plain black or something bland it just wouldn't look "right"
    cheers
    kerry

11. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Only seen 2 other stoves even half pie similar to this. One was blue the other the same green. Both were also french. There is something about a stove with artistic flare rather than just function. Doesnt make it go better but kinder on the eyes

12. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Hi Matt, Beautiful :thumbup: :thumbup: . I love that French green enamel, really nice. Well done :mrgreen: . See you at Newark, all being well. Steve.

13. Stonehopper

Excellent beast! Can we have a few shots of the underside and piping please? I will presume, because it's French, the fuel to be used would be essence/gasoline/petrol? In which case there would be no spirit cups, and the filler neck may extend down into the tank to prevent over-filling leaving one third or thereabouts air space for compression. I have a similar stove that came from my Mother-in-Law's neighbour in France. They used it from new until they purchased a gas stove in the 1960's.

Nice find.

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, Matt,

Excellent score, Sir!! Your "new" old French stove is lovely, and definitely a delight to see. Those old timers are seldom seen in the US, if at all, so count your blessings on finding that one. I look forward to seeing it at Newark, but alas, only through photos, as we won't be able to attend. Well done, and thank you for sharing it here at CCS!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

15. BernieDawg Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  16. Quietstove Banned

Wonderful stove! There looks to be three burners but only two are visible in the photos. Any chance on getting a view from the top?

17. Matthew92

Thanks for all the info and good comments guys. I've got the week booked off for Newark, so there's no reson I won't be there, and with some of my own sloe gin to sample this time Steve. :lol: Its just a double burner and I can only imagine that the centre trivet is for warming or such like using heat from the two burners either side. I'll get some more pictures loaded when I get a chance.
    In the original post, I said that the underlined wring was small, but looking at the stove again the L.B isn't underlined or smaller and is actually as large as the name so may be of some significance. Not too sure. :D
    Thanks again. Matt

18. Matthew92

Here's a few more pics, sorry about the quality, iPads the best I can do at the moment. :D

1396291579-image.jpg
    1396291605-image.jpg
    1396291615-image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  19. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Matt.

I turned up this interesting advert via Google - Link

It seems to show that the "Inventeur" of the Ekinox brand is Loius Bouyssou. That may be the L.B. mark. He may be the same person who applied for a patent on 25th Nov 1930 for "Improvements to stoves and ranges for liquid hydrocarbons" ( Link)

Terry

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  20. Stonehopper

A translation from BernieDawg's link:

TOULOUS, November 10, 1928

Sir,

Here comes winter, bringing with it the cold, rain, & snow ... What is your desire? To have the maximum comfort for you! Our house can give you this, by offering its calorifier heated by radiation and hot air circulation in addition to the stove that you already own.
    You know it is an inconvenience to light for a few hours a wood or coal fire in the room, which causes : Loss of time, dust spreading into the room and, in addition, very low heat before the fire gets blazing in the fireplace.

With our stove, simply by lighting your stove after turning it on as usual - all these troubles are removed. In fact, this unit with a heating power of 20 to 22 ° 50m3 of air, quickly heats the room to your desired temperature, as agreeable as that obtained with central heating, and without any dust. You will get that with the minimum expenditure as our stove heats instantly, you only turn on when you need to be warm.

Another indisputable advantage : you can heat rapidly and successively more parts.

We also draw your attention to the special device which allows for anytime of running water (see diagram overleaf).

In a nutshell this stove meets a perfect way to the demands that everyone should have : HIGH HEAT AND CLEAN WITH A MINIMUM OF EXPENDITURE .

Waiting for your order, please accept, Sir , the assurance of our devoted sentiments.

MANAGEMENT