Friend Campers Stove

Discussion in 'Japan' started by MrAlexxx, Aug 24, 2018.

1. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

Bought in a lot at a local auction. I was more interested in the other stove in the lot and paid scant attention to this one except to open the tin and look inside and "see" a coil burner. Got it home and still expecting a coil burner took it out of the tin then thought that someone had put another stove in the tin. I guess if I would of paid attention to the tin graphics I would of seen it was a roarer. The eyes see what the mind wants it to see. lol

Anyways...has all the goodies...pricker, small hand preheating torch and the valve control wrench with spare jet. Also a full tank of rank smelling fuel so figured I'd give it a go. Had obviously been fired before so just followed the lighting instructions printed on the tin. Not something that I would burn for a long time due to the cheap feeling construction but in a pinch would definitely heat water for a cup of coffee and probably do a whole lot more if one was so inclined. Once it warmed up it roasted along pretty good and had nice simmer control. For what it is I was impressed. I think I have a new friend! :D

DSC08753.JPG

DSC08751.JPG

DSC08718.JPG

DSC08729.JPG

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Most interesting. A coil stove that isn't!

3. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

A most excellent stove. Reminds me of a Svea 123 only with nicer graphics.

Ben

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  5. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Fun. I too saw the tin in your picture and thought coil burner.
    I have a Lil Injun coil burner, actually a great lil stove.

6. itchy

Nice little stove. The spare jet in the tool is a nice feature.
    I have one the also runs great, but I agree they feel a little thin and do make one hesitant to run it a long time.

Mine is missing one of the legs/pot supports. It fits nicely in the British Army No 7 case -- but, again, it might be asking for trouble if it were to overheat.

7. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

@MrAlexxx Nice! Don't be put off by the construction.
    I've boiled rice for four people on my Stesco coil burner but had to keep my eye on it all the time. You have the advantage of being able to simmer and a proper shut off valve.
    Regards
    John