Fuel containers

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by woodsy97845, Aug 9, 2012.

1. woodsy97845

This is a general question and I'm not sure where to post it. If it needs to be in a different section, please move it.

I have been trying to obtain a fuel bottle for transporting fuel in my pack...7-10 day supply. I have noticed Optimus and Primus bottles for sale, but I have seen a lot of reviews with the "new" childproof cap being substandard and leaking. Has anyone had any dealing with this issue? Can I use the normal "give away" stainless steel water bottles as transport containers? Are they "white gas approved"? What about kerosene?

I just don't want to spend 30+ dollars on a couple of approved bottles that leak all over my sleeping bag and trail mix.

Thanks,

Bryan

2. dwarfnebula

dwarfnebula United States Subscriber

I tried to use one of the giveaway water bottles and the o-ring on the cap failed almost immediately. The bottle itself is most likely fine for storing fuel but I'm not sure I'd trust it under pressure, which is moot as the cap threads are different than those on my pump.

I have an MSR fuel bottle with a kiddy/cold hands proof cap and have not had it leak yet. Not to say I like it or anything.

3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

I have some cheap waterbottles, and it looks like they have a coating on the inside (like a clear laquer of sorts). Not sure if it won't dissolve in fuel. I have bought some second hand Sigg fuel bottles lately (1.5liters, 5€ apiece) and they look perfect for the job. I think it is best to use correct bottles for the liquid you want to put in them ( better safe than sorry ;) ).

Best regards,

Wim

4. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

I've got a Sigg bottle which I bought at least 20 years ago. It has had all sorts of fuels in and has never leaked.

5. woodsy97845

I think I am going to try it out and see what happens. The worst that can happen is that it leaks and I can't use it on a hike. If it "fowls" the stove, it will give me an opportunity to tear into it and see the inner workings, and give a our sponsors a few more bucks.

I am using it as a carrier only, I don't have a newer stove that has to have a pressurized bottle. I think I need to have a bit more fuel than my stove holds.

Cheers,

Bryan

6. dwarfnebula

dwarfnebula United States Subscriber

A stainless or aluminum bottle will not foul your fuel, I suspect the plastic of the cap will not either, you could test it by giving the cap a dunking for a few days. The seal on the cap is almost certainly not fuel resistant however. Pull it off and score a viton or nitrile one from the auto parts store. Generally the fuel/oil o-rings are nitrile and the hydraulic fitting o-rings are viton. If it's rated for brake fluid stay away from it, those will dissolve in fossil fuels.

7. nzmike

Having your fuel bottle as far away from everything else as possible can give you some peace of mind too. Mine usually rides in the outside pocket of my pack. Having it in a couple of ziploc bags would not be too paranoid, either, at least until you get used to it.

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I have a Nalgene bottle for transporting fuel. 16 ounce I think.
    It is labeled such in LARGE LETTERS. It does NOT look like a drink bottle. It has a small tip that is reversible for pouring into a stove.
    The number in the triangle is 2. So safe for fuel.

Ken

9. hobowonkanobe

I am running with 3 msr bottles, 2 older ones with the older grey caps... still working great, and one newer one with the "child (aka drunk adult) proof cap. It is a pain to open, but, so far no issues with it leaking. Though, I did make the mistake of putting spirits in it, dryed out the cap and gasket so bad, I almost didnt get it open to use it again. Kero against palstic caps, nah, no worries. Petrol? maybe, dunno.
    Spirits, apparently not as it is so hydroscopic that it messes up the o ring gaskets.

10. RodH

RodH Subscriber

I've bought plastic bottles that have the same plastics recycling number, same material, as gasoline containers. Only cost a few dollars at the industrial plastics store. Paid a dollar extra for the good caps, same plastic, that won't leak. These bottles come in a number of sizes to suit one's needs. Works for me. Never had an issue.

I've also bought used spirits flasks at the flea market. Smaller for meths and larger for stove and lamp fuel.

11. Mikko S

I have metal fuel bottles from Sigg, Optimus and MSR... All are good and have no childproof caps here in Europe, but they are not very good to pour from. I prefer the Trangia bottles to fill stoves and lanterns. Only problem is that I need so many bottles, 3 different sizes and 3 different fuels. :(