Fuel for Hank Robert's Mini Stove?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by mtnmannh, Sep 22, 2004.

1. mtnmannh

[color:green][/color]I recently bought a Hank Roberts's Mini Stove at a Flea Market for $4 usd. Now I can't find what canister of fuel will work with it. It has no screw on threads, just a needle that you are supposed to wet before you push it into the fuel can. I live in the NorthEastern U.S. and I would love to find out for my son if there is hope for this simple little stove to burn again. Is there hope?

Thanks, MIke

2. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

i would say it's a dead loss to try and find carts for this stove..i got one on ebay
    mostly for the interesting cook kit that came with it but a web search and looking back at
    the the posts on this forum came up dry.a converter for scorpion stove fuel carts was
    rumored to be out there but i never got a answer back from the outdoor supply shop
    that showed them on their web site..this is one of those items like 620 film for the old box cameras,a small business person could find a profitable nitch with items like this

3. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

Dave, how was your trip?

There must be a support group out there for owers of cannister stoves for which fuel is no longer made.

Hello, my name is Alan, and I own a gaz globetrotter stove and lantern.

4. rik_uk3

My name is Richard, I have 2 Primus 2242 gas canister stoves, I'm not using them today, thats not to say I will never use them; I take it one day at a time

5. usdan50

usdan50 R.I.P.

Coleman made stoves and lanterns to burn that cartridge and they are gone! We were able to buy NOS Coleman cannisters at the convention at a rather expensive cost.Most people planned on collecting the cans not using them.There is no known source left for those cartridges.The last link I had went bust.Chuck tryed to get in touch with them and found no phone or email,just a dead link.We still collect the stuff but not to use.I just purchased a Camp-Lite lantern that used the K Fuel as it was called.Dan

6. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

Hello Richard.

Do you sincerely believe you will use these stoves again? Perhpaps you are in denial.

7. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello,
    There was a website called http://www.camppro.com the website still works but, the phone has been disconnected and none of my e-mails were ever replyed to. But, strangely they were never bounced back to me. But, I wouldn't allow the cruel seeds of hope to take root as I fear they are gone. As far as the conversion kit goes there may be something out there. I would suggest taking the stove to a store (not a Kmart or Walmart) but, an outfitter store. and see if they have a conversion kit available. It doesn't hurt to try and if not console yourself with a purchase.
    I have inserted a photo of what the canisters look like. As you can see they are small and have a rubber bud on the top. I have never seen a conversion kit but, they must exsist.
    Chuck

|imgRemoved|

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. Ian

Ian Subscriber

If you get something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16036&item=7102454570&rd=1

and replace the burner with your Hank Roberts stove you should be able to run it on any of the modern screw-on carts except Camping Gaz.
    You may have to do a little elementary plumbing to get agood fit for the hose but you may not.
    These stoves are on ebay UK all the time and go for about ?10

PS
    If any of you have a Hank Roberts you wish to part with I am sure we could come to some arrangement.

9. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Ian,
    I have a spare Hank Roberts lantern kit that has never been lit. Basically you un-screw the burner and screw in the lantern. The stove acts as the base of the lantern and a fuel access point. There are no mantles sorry. But, I can make a copy of the instruction sheet
    I don't usually sell a stove or anything stove related I prefer to trade. You can PM me if you want to talk more. Or keep the discussion here. Makes no difference as we are all pretty much cyber friends anyway.

Chuck

|imgRemoved|

|imgRemoved|

10. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Chuck,
    do you have the stove to go with it?
    I was much taken with the whole outfit the first time I saw it on the forum. I visited the site, emailed them, enquired via snailmail and finally rang the number - drew a blank all ways round, As it uses a remote cart it should be easier to convert to contemporary fittings than stoves with an integral cart ,eg GT which is giving my thought processes a work-up.

11. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Ian,
    Unfortunatly at this time I only have one stove and two lantern conversion kits. You are welcome to have the lantern kit. Would you like to trade one those cheap UK burners for the lantern kit? I am trying to get the lantern and stove to work as a combo unit. I am sure that someone here as a stove for you.

Chuck

12. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

13. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Chuck,
    Hanks, but no hanks (had to do it,couldn't help myself - i do apologise :oops: :roll: )
    I'll hold out and see if the complete setup comes along.
    However, if you want one of the cheapo stoves sending on, say but the word, and it will be on its way.

14. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Ian,
    Hanks for the offer. :) Let me see how things work out here in the next few weeks.

Chuck

15. Georgi

I don't know if this helps, but, here is what is available to Canada .

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=672817&bmUID=1095901662208

There is another stove cannister that is considered butane listed for a stove called the Tokai stove and that really looks close to what you call the Hanks cannisters.....

I would have to go to the store and see shat the actual dimensions are of the unit, but, I'd swear its close to what I see in the Hanks cannister.

The closest I come to having one one these stoves is an auction off the bay where the Seller mislabeled the unit , looking like a Primus Easy fuel turned out to actually be a Primus Multi-fuel.

I was pleasantly suprized when I opened the package to reveal a pump!!

Woohoo!

Anyway, I wonder if any of these fuel cannisters are what your looking for? ...or I'll go check on the butane one I know of.

16. Handi-Albert

Well to-day I traveled 600 Km looking for stoves and lights. I only saw 1 Primus #5 with out the spreaders (that stoveis still there.
    I saw a BAT new. Trouble was the conversion was not done with this stove. This is it should be adjusted from the top with a 14 lb hammer. :lol:

I did see about 8 different LPG canasters. Trouble is how do I post them?

17. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

Chuck, the larger cannisters are still sold. I've seen them in many shops including REI. You can also get them from the Coleman website. However, Coleman makes you buy a case at a time and you have to pay a hazordous materials handling fee of $20 on top of the shipping costs.

The rub is finding the small ones that fit the globetrotter. I think these are a 106. My experience suggests that the larger cannisters push out too much gas relative to the size of the smaller valve and burner head of the globetrotter. Much more experimenting to be done.

I've also tried the camp-pro website and phone numbers and came up empty handed. That would be another slick stove/lantern set to own. Someday.

18. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello Alan and the rest of us, you, or them!
    Even though this site is based on kero / white gas / petrol burners it seems as though the older LP stoves have a place. Possibly becuase they are silent due to the rarity of their fuel. I have no doubt that someone here will come up with a fix to get an old Hank Roberts to work with the new canisters. My money is on Ian. I will do my best to find one for you Ian and forward it to you when my quest is complete.

Chuck

19. Ian

Ian Subscriber

20. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Ian,
    The lantern is light. The stove and lantern combo can't weigh more than a pound or 1/2 kilogram. Seems to be made of aluminum. The glass is the heaviest part. Looks like the seller is guessing at the weight.

Chuck