Fuel Injector cleaner?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Damon reece, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Damon reece

Hi I just wondering if anyone has ever tried adding a drop of fuel injector cleaner to unleaded petrol to use in their stoves? I run an old 1944 Coleman 520 G.I pocket stove, perfect for motorcycle camping as I can just drain some fuel out of the bikes petrol tank!
    I read on an adventure biking forum about adding injector cleaner to slow down the gumming up process if you are using unleaded in a stove therefore longer gaps between cleaning. Sounds like it might work‍♂️ Just wondered if anyone else has tried it.

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Gumming I don't think will be an issue, it would be the additives, like carbon build up in a engine cylinder. I also believe the issue might be if you used the stove a lot, like hours and hours. Unlike a lantern generator, the stove genny would be easier to access and clean.
    Duane

3. BigScott

BigScott Subscriber

In the UK we have a product called 'Redex' which is a fuel additive cleaner. It comes in diesel and petrol forms although I suspect the diesel one is mostly naptha. If I haven't used a stove for a while I always add a little diesel Redex to my kerosine although I use Jet A-1. (Overkill I know) The same for the the White Gas ones as well. There are other brands of additives but for me Redex is the traditional one.

4. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

It might work. And it might not. Probably not. Save your money. You can read a lot of stuff on forums, even this one!

5. Fettler United States

I have to question the premise. While it is true fuel injector cleaner does tend to work for fuel injectors a campstove generator is a completely different application and set of conditions. I have heard the claims from those operating in remote areas (where only automotive gas is available) that it tends to keep generators from getting carboned up so quickly. I think I'd not worry about it too much, and resign myself to more frequent maintenance.

6. itchy

I'd fill the stove with Coleman or equivalent for the trip. Then I'd go ahead and refill with gasoline during the trip, and when I next got the chance just empty that out and replace with camp fuel.

7. Jaime Massang

Jaime Massang Australia Subscriber

In Australia, Redex was/is an upper cylinder lubricant i.e. left a film of oil after the combustion in the upper cylinder to lubricate the valves and some extent the piston rings.
    It did prevent some carbon depositing , I believe, possibly some additive(?).
    As there are no moving parts to speak of in a stove, perhaps a carburetor jet cleaner may be a better option to dissolve any gum deposits.

8. Fettler United States

Some people who burn lots of dodgy gasoline in the field have reported success with injector cleaner. I remain a bit skeptical, but if it works in real life, who am I to question theory? Seems like E10 or E20 fuels would help, too, by the logic. Maybe it's a matter of "the solution to pollution is dilution".