Gas Canister Question

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by z1ulike, Sep 16, 2018.

1. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Does anyone know what type of gas canister this takes and whether or not they're available?

swing1.jpg

swing2.jpg

Thanks,
    Ben

2. hikin_jim

Ben,

That type of stove uses the old puncture type canister. Sometimes the connector is referred to as a "bayonet" connector because it literally stabs into the canister. Camping Gaz was the last purveyor of such that I'm aware of in the US, and they are no longer offering the product.

That type of canister can still be found in old surplus shops and small town hardware stores and such, and no doubt any number of people here on CCS would have them.

Jim

3. kerry460

kerry460 Australia R.I.P.

camping gaz . blue canisters .
    but there are other brands of canisters available , at least here in Tasmania .
    kerry

4. pau-i-amor

pau-i-amor Subscriber

Very common in Spain...

5. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

It is very strange that these piercable cartridges are not available in the US, because Gaz is owned by Coleman.
    The canisters are still available in Europe.

7. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

You can still find em but it takes some luck and looking. And if you find an empty you can refill em on the appliance.

8. z1ulike

Thank you very much gentlemen. I bought the stove and ordered a couple of Campingaz canisters. I'll be adding it to my Bremer Sea Swing collection. I think I've got 4 different versions now. Kerosene, alcohol, propane, and Campinggaz. But I'm not addicted and can quit at any time.

Ben

9. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Where did you find Campingaz canisters you could order??

10. z1ulike

I found them here and ordered two. Shipping doubled the cost so they're probably coming from outside the U.S. We'll see if they arrive.

Ben

11. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

@z1ulike those are not correct. They should look like these
    upload_2018-9-16_17-15-56.jpeg

12. z1ulike

Merde!

Ben

13. z1ulike

O.K. I canceled my order and bought a couple of the butane canisters on eBay from a seller in the U.K. Crisis avoided I hope. [-o<

Ben

14. Marc

Marc Subscriber

That first one, under the "delivery information" tab, said "shipping from UK."

Interested in learning whether you receive your canisters.

15. hikin_jim

How can they ship from the UK? Air mail is out of the question. Is there a way to specify "ship by surface vessel only" on a package?

HJ

16. Garth

Probably no help to you but one of the cheapest canisters available in these parts.

Screenshot_20180917-200249.png

17. webster

webster Subscriber

18. hikin_jim

@webster, for whatever reason, this type of canister fell out of favor over the years. There used to be many brands available, but in recent years only one brand, Camping Gaz, was available. Then, Camping Gaz products were 100% withdrawn from the market about 2 or 3 years ago. Now, there are no puncture type canisters available in the United States (unless one can find some old ones from years past). Moreover, the CV270/CV470 type Camping Gaz canisters are no longer available in the US.

We now have just three canister gas formats available:
    1. The 7/16ths UNEF threaded canisters made for backpacking/hiking used. These typically come in 110 g, 220 g, and 450 g sizes (with some size variations by brand) and contain some mix of n-butane, isobutane, and propane.
    2. The larger, typically green, 100% propane canisters of the type popularized by the Coleman Company. These come in one of two portable sizes, a larger size containing about 450 to 460 g of propane typically used for car camping and a smaller size containing 400 g of propane typically used for welding and such.
    3. 100% n-butane canisters with a "male" connector of the type typically (at least in the US) used for small, square portable burners in restaurants (and sometimes homes).

Canisters no longer available:
    1. PowerMax canisters. These had a rotating hexagonal connector and were meant for liquid feed only which was advantageous in cold weather. Nice format, but it never caught on.
    2. "Hank Roberts" type canisters. These had a wick and were used for "Mousetrap" stoves, Gerry stoves, EFI stoves etc. Actually a nice format.
    3. The aforementioned puncture type canisters.
    4. CV270/470 type Camping Gaz proprietary format canisters.
    5. A 7/16ths threaded canister with a "male" connector. These were one of the first detachable threaded canister formats. They were 7/16ths, but it was a coarser thread than the current threaded canisters.
    6. CV360 type Camping Gaz canisters of the type used by the Rando 360 stove. These had a connector very similar to the CV270/470 type but smaller. They held 50 g of n-butane.

I'm sure there were other canister formats, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

HJ

19. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@webster you have to remember Europe is only slightly less litigious than the US. (at the moment). I would look to the insurance companies for the market decline of piercable cartridges.

It was my greatest delight discovering the Epigas Alpine when I started camping again as it took the scary risk of the canister being wrongly installed and the resultant fire ball. Seen that more than once with the scouts.

20. hikin_jim