Gas or Kerosene? Optimus 22

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Tom Smokov, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Tom Smokov United States

Hello I just purchased this Optimus 22 that was oncethe property of the Royal Netherlands Army. I was told it's a gas burner but I'm skeptical l- was thinking Kerosene... Can someone help me out with an answer?

Attached Files:

2. itchy

Why do you think it is a kerosene stove?

A closer look (picture) of the burner, with the ring and shield removed, will quickly distinguish the two possibilities.

If there are 4 vertical tubes to the burner plate, it is kero. If there are two, it is gasoline.

3. Tom Smokov United States

Hello... I thought these older 22's used kerosene. The stoves enroute to me from the Netherlands, I recently purchased it. I just noticed on the instructions which are in Dutch... that it states Benzine. When it arrives I'll give it a look see on the 4 tube vs 2... Thank's for the reply.

Best regards!

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Benzine=gas. 22B = gas.
    Duane

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Him @Tom Smokov ,

Yep, unless someone has changed out the original burners, your stove is meant to burn Coleman Fuel/White gasoline. If you keep the NRV working as it should, by servicing it on a regular basis (i.e. every year or so), you should be very happy with your 22B. My first several 22B stoves were used on a regular basis, and I never had a single problem. I have a couple of regular 22's, now, too, and a 22B that's meant to burn Meths. All are excellent!

I mention the changing out of burners, as I have an Optimus 111B on which I changed out the burner to be a standard Optimus kero burner. A CCS friend very kindly sent the kero burner my way, and the swap worked a treat!! So, look for the burner tubes, as has been mentioned. 2 tubes = Coleman Fuel; 4 tubes = kerosene. Easy-Peasy, and all good! Congrats on getting a wonderful stove, and enjoy using it. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. Tom Smokov United States

Thanks and.. Yep... figured that out when I looked closer at the paper work pictured.

7. Tom Smokov United States

Thank you for the response... I've got several single burners and all in nice shape but was Itching for a model 22 bought due to its condition. Comes with extra parts too. Probably paid more than its worth but it'll get used.

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Tom,

Even if you paid a fair bit for your stove, I think you're going to love it! I know we have loved using ours, over the years. Be careful with the left hand burner, as those are exceedingly hard to find, if you muck your's up. But, in truth, the only problems I've had came from the heavy-handed way some previous owner of one of our 22's abused the burners. I eventually got it working OK, but was bummed to find out how rare those left burners were, if I had had to replace it! YIKES! Hearty congrats on your purchase, and have fun with it!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. Tom Smokov United States

Hello... I'm sure I will, do you happen to know whats with the stainless steel tank vs Brass? All of my other stoves have Brass Tanks.

10. G1gop

G1gop United Kingdom Subscriber

Can I clarify something? Not just related to this stove but say 111.
    If it is a kero burner (four tubes), then is there any reason why you couldn't burn gas in it?
    Before some one asks why would you want to, I am thinking back to a time when I only had gas and used that with no problems in a 111(four tubes).

11. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    There’s no problem about it burning well, except for the fact that the NRV in these stoves is a Primus-type and not a check valve with a screw-in shut off like a Coleman. Therefore if gasoline leaks through the NRV, a conflagration will ensue, such as this example hosted accidentally by a well known member of CCS:

69202DAE-0F20-4082-80B2-E8FB2DA27962.jpeg

This applies to all versions of the Optimus 111, which is why I use only the kerosene Optimus 111 burners or kerosene in the multi-fuel burners. Kerosene is very unlikely to flash-burn, whereas gasoline is very likely to do so.

If I needed to use gasoline in that kind of set up I would triple check the NRV every time I used the stove.

Cheers

Tony

12. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

The early Optimus catalogs say the 111 can burn kerosene and gasoline. Later, after the 111B was introduced they edited the 111 description as being capable of burning kerosene and pure petrol while the 111B was described as burning all gasolines. The stove didn't change but our automotive gasoline did.

111-58.jpg

13. G1gop

G1gop United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks. Yes I understand about the nvr and checking it. I do that as routine with all my 111's
    I do use gas in the 111b and have had to when run out of kero used gas in the 111.
    One person with me told me in no uncertain terms it was going to 'blow up' because it was a kero stove lol.
    I pointed out to him that the only difference was the number of tubes. All that is going to do is vaporise the gas more.