Gasoline in Optimus 00

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Sternenlicht, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Hey everyone!

Is it possible to modify an Optimus 00 anyhow that it can be run with gasoline instead of kerosene?

I know from the Phoebus 625 that it is possible to change or to drill the jet. Works the same with the Optimus stove. Or is that too dangerous?

Regards Bastian

2. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Bastian,

Welcome to CCS.

The short answer: It's too dangerous - dont!

The long answer is that it's more than the jet you need to worry about. There are other significant differences between the 625 and the Optimus 00.

The 625 has a regulated burner, the Optimus 00 doesn't. The Optimus 00 is regulated from the pressure release knurled screw on the filler cap (the 625 doesn't have this item - but it does have an over pressure safety valve). If you regulate the Optimus 00 from the pressure release screw you'll be releasing a mist of gasolene right by the flame. With kerosene that doesn't matter. With gasolene, kaboom, no eyebrows, or possibly no face!

If you really wanted to do it you could replace the filler cap with one that has an integral safety release valve (not sure there's a direct swapout though off the top of my head - others here might offer an opinion), and you'd need to replace the Optimus 00 burner with a regulated one - you'd need to find one and would probably need to modify the burner riser or manufacture an adaptor). Others have fitted regulated burners to this type of stove and will be able to offer opinions on how best to achieve this change.

But just changing the jet and running it on gasolene is a definite no no [-X

Hope that helps!

Cheers, Graham

3. Kristian123

Why not just buy a Optimus 123R or a Phobeus?
    You also have the BAT 45/2 "if I am not to wrong".

4. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Thanks a lot!

I wanted to buy a Phoebus, but then I found a 00... I'm quite new in that topic. On my trips I'm usually using a Primus Varifuel or a alcohol tin stove.

Regards, Bastian

5. itchy

You are fortunate to fine the Optimus 00, it is really a nice simple and safe stove as is. Source some kerosene and give it a try and you could be quite pleased -- and might even prefer it to gasoline*. Starting it is not much different that of the Phoebus (since you already have the alcohol for priming it seems).
    Then keep your eye out for the Phoebus, they are both good.
    And welcome to the site.

*Few here would recommend regular use of automobile gasoline in any stove if that is what you planned to use.

6. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Hej itchy,

the more I read in this forum, the more I'm fascinated from this kind of stoves.

You are right, my initial thought was to run the stove with automobile gasoline (or motorbike gasoline, respectively :lol: )

I wanted to use my new stove on bicycle and motorbike trips. Therefore I prefer a gasoline stove. I will continue looking for a Phoebus 625, maybe I can find one, which is not too expensive.

Regards, Bastian

7. hobowonkanobe

look at these, they are modern in that they are supported, burn anything and are still rather hansom in Brass. The only comparative drawback is that it takes 90 to 120 days to get it.

http://shop.britelyt.com/britelyt-stoves/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. rik_uk3

NO gasoline in an 00.

The Britelyt stoves have build quality issues IIRC so stick with stoves designed for gasoline or better built dual fuel.

123 or a 111B would be a good start.

Bastian, your in Germany, look out for the Russian Optimus 8 clones, they are a good little stove.

eBay item 320972237483

1346353135-BENZINKOCHER1__Small_.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  9. davidcolter

The Optimus Svea (formerly Svea 123) is my suggestion for the perfect cycling and motorcycling stove. They can be had new or second hand very easily.

10. Ian

Ian Subscriber

If you want a gasoline fuelled Phoebus, the 725 is the one to look out for.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  11. Kristian123

I would have bought one Britelyt stove if it was not for the bad reputation they got. They look kind of nice and the seller say they can fly to the moon and back if you pour gasoline in them.

I would also recommend the russian 8R or the Optimus 8R. Also the Enders 9061 is my favorite.
    Still dont think it is a good idea to use gasoline on the 00. :roll:

12. Pillepalle

Hei Bastian,,

Using Gasoline ("Benzin") in an Optimus 00 will qualify you for the Darwin-Award. Hence: Pfoten weg [-X !

If you want to use Gasoline then look out for an Enders 9060 or 9061, which come up on German EBay almost daily. An Optimus 111 T also runs on Gasoline, however, I would not use car gasoline but White Gas ("Waschbenzin") instead.

By the way, I was told that also stoves not necessarily decades old and made of brass might work :-$ .

Gruß, Philipp

13. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Wow, thanks for the great support!

Today I received my Optimus 00. I was surprised, it is relatively small. It was a NOS from the Swedish Army, nice apparature. After replacing the old seal rings with new self produced ones I started it the first time. And then I was surprised for the second time, I thought it will be much louder. Compared to my Varifuel it is nearly a silent burner (slightly exaggerated :lol: ).

1346413082-Optimus_00_2.jpg

1346413124-Optimus_00_1.jpg

But anyhow, I am still looking for the Phoebus 625, and maybe 725. The other stoves are too heavy.

Ciao, Bastian

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  14. itchy

Juwel sells a modern little petrol stove. I am guessing they should be easy to find in Germany. Don't have one though, so I can't comment on how good they are.

15. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Hej itchy,

right, they are also known as "Barthel-bomb" here in Germany. Often used in the GDR's army. They don't have a pump, pressure is built up by heat. I heard, longer cooking time is not recommended for this type of stoves ("bomb").

But I don't know if that is true.

But a few minutes ago I found a Phoebus 625 for an acceptable price. Hope it's coming soon.

Ciao, Bastian