Gates Folding Stove 1918

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by cottage hill bill, Jul 29, 2020.

1. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

This is a Gates Folding Stove. There is another on in the reference gallery here:
    Gates Folding Stove - USA *

Mine appears to be identical except for the wording on the badge. Mine reads
    Gates Folding Stove
    Parented 1915 other patents pending
    Manufactured by
    W. J. Baker Co.
    Newport, Kentucky

I have found two patents awarded to Frank Gates. On the first he lists himself as a resident of Lents, Oregon and the patent is assigned to Frank Gates and William J. Baker of Newport, Kentucky. It was filed in December of 1914 and awarded in June of 1915
    STOVE. Click in the middle of the drawing to scroll through the patent.
    The second lists Gates as residing in Los Angles, California and the patent is not assigned to anyone else. It was filed in July 1917 and awarded in December if 1918
    STOVE.

Both my stove and the other in the reference gallery conform to the 1918 patent rather than the 1915. From the information on the badges it looks like Gates parted from the Baker company and started having the AD Stove Company produce his stoves. W.J. Baker is still a going firm
    W J Baker Company, Inc.
    A couple of inquiries to them have gone unanswered.
    [​IMG]
    The paint appears to be original. Included were the pump, skate key, pre-heating torch and funnel. The funnel has been modified (read squashed) to fit within the case. It is similar to many I've found in early PW or AGM stoves and I suspect is a common off-the-shelf product of the period. The skate key works the fuel valve (square hole) and the wrench portion fits both the gland nut and fuel cap.
    [​IMG]
    Folded the stove is 9"X8"X5". The big hex nut at the bottom of the picture is a plumbing union that allows the tank to pivot into the case for storage. More on this brilliant design feature later.
    [​IMG]
    On the primary burner vapor enters through a hole in the side of the burner, red arrow, flows across the tube cast in the center of the burner and comes up at an opening at the blue arrow.
    [​IMG]
    On top of that goes this thin steel plate.
    [​IMG]
    Then the burner top piece. The secondary burner is just a simple cast bowl.
    [​IMG]
    A sheet steel tube is riveted to each burner, the one on the secondary just a hair bigger in diameter that allows the two burners to connect when the stove is opened. In the primary burner this damper is the on/off mechanism for the secondary burner. Annoyingly the bend in the handle is at right angles to the damper, unlike modern valves. When the handle is parallel to the tube the damper is closed.
    [​IMG]
    The control valve/orifice is this brass piece. The skate key opens the valve, the orifice is in the right end of the casting. The packing was still good enough to seal just by doing up the gland nut.
    [​IMG]
    Valve shaft is a simple steel piece that serves as both pricker and shut off.
    [​IMG]
    In the long piece of pipe that serves as a vaporizer I was surprised to find this mesh insert. I resisted the temptation to pull it out to see if it was clean.
    [​IMG]
    This is the mating face of the plumbing union. It may have done the job when new, but it leaked horribly no matter how much I tightened it even after polishing the mating faces. . I finally fashioned a lead washer and that worked but only if the union is tightened with a wrench. I may run the stove for a realistic cooking time to see how hot this union gets to see if a viton seal would work. Since it is connected directly to the vaporizer with iron fittings I don't think that solution is viable. [​IMG]
    In operation the vapor is expected to jump the gap between the orifice on the left and the hole in the burner. Not unlike some early PWs I have.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is chugging along at full throttle. It took a huge amount of pre-heat to get to this point and operation was never completely reliable. It is possible the orifice has been enlarged by overtightening the valve as most of the time there was a lot of yellow flame, especially when running just the primary burner. I also had trouble maintaining pressure. The small bore pump, method of attachment and fill cap/air screw arrangement make for fiddly pressurization.
    [​IMG]
    Hard to read, but for completeness here's the badge.

If anyone has experience with one of these or something similar any suggestions on proper running would be appreciated.

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks, CHB.

Cheers

Tony