Gerry Backpacking Stove Flame Issue

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by dcfitz, May 21, 2020 at 5:00 PM.

1. dcfitz

I have my original Gerry backpacking stove from the 1970’s. You can no longer get the original fuel canisters for this stove. I have purchased an adapter that allows you to use standard butane canisters with it. When I’m using one of these canisters, all I get is a tall yellow flame. It never settles down to a nice blue flame. Does anyone know what the issue might be?

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Are you using modern butane canisters that have a different thread than original or just "butane" canisters of propane or isobutane you have adapted to? Stove sounds like only designed for pure butane in my quick search.
    Duane

3. dcfitz

I’m using straight butane canisters. I have the adapter to use with my stove.

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Per Jim/Hikin Jim's blog, Adventuresinstoving, he states if used in too low of temps or too high a flame to start, the flame will be yellow and flare up, says to start at a lower opening then slowly increasing flame. I'm sure you know this already since you have had it for years. Maybe check that nothing is obstructing air.
    Duane

5. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Sounds like the burner needs to heat up enough to properly vaporize the fuel. Try running it on low for a bit and then turn it up only slowly, and see what happens.

6. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Make sure you are getting gases and not liquid butane to stove. Canister has to sit with valve up.

7. redspeedster

redspeedster Subscriber

If using the bayonet type cartridges, you need to make sure the "dip" tube is pointing upwards. There is usually an arrow on the side of the cartridge indicating up.