Gifted a beater with some history

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Barrett, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Barrett New Zealand

An old colleague and friend who assisted in the delivery of my recent 4M mentioned he had a little old stove that he had used to cook most of his meals on during his early travels after university many years ago.

From the size he was indicating with his hands and saying he had lost the lid, I thought Optimus 8R.
    He said he would dig it out over the weekend and that I could have it ( I regularly supply him with fresh fish, so a fair trade :) )
    He sent through a few pics, and arranged for my wife to bring it home from the office last night.

So here it is.... a well traveled and used Shinabro 170GR?
    20190722_190806.jpg
    Traces of brown paint remain, so I guess it was sold as a Shinabro.

I have asked him to write a brief history for me to file, he certainly remembers packing the stove and a frying pan with which he cooked most of his meals in his travels through India and Chile, but needs to think about where else it has been.

Really happy to add this and its stories to my collection, it will get a mild Rustoration to preserve it in its lifes patina.

It seems though that when it comes to stoves with wicks I struggle.
    Lit it up after cutting a new cap gasket and the flame was weak, tried a new wick with some improvement but I don't seem to be getting a good head of pressure, stripped it apart again (since below pic) to clean it again, but something isn't right.
    20190722_203621.jpg
    I know there are some excellent write ups on 8R fettles here, so I shall do some more reading.

Cheers
    Barrett

2. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@Barrett, I've come to believe there is some arcane ritual involved in fettling wick fed stoves. Sadly unpublished on CCS. :(

3. Barrett New Zealand

I could almost believe that @Simes

Another tear down and new wick, this time out of cotton bandage due to having used everything else useful, and I've got a bigger flame and some roar, but very orange and doesn't seem like much heat.
    20190723_164259.jpg
    I don't think it's the jet as the cleaning needle will snuff the flame instantly if you are not attentive.
    I'll run for a while to let it breath, and then have another go.

4. Lennart F Norway

I think it could be carbon deposits between the valve and the jet - experienced it on a bunch of Aethna/Primus 632 style blowlamps and found same deposits around inside of the jet on Primus 1/5 style stoves - could bet it happens to some Optimus 8R/111 style stoves too.
    Sometimes it's enough to take out the nipple and scratch out the carbon around the inlet end of the jet - this would explain why flow seems restricted and why the cleaning needle tend to snuff the flame, ring of carbon acting as a box seal.

5. Barrett New Zealand

Thank you @Lennart F, you could be on to something there.
    I did the heat and quench on the main assembly, but nothing to the jet/nipple as I could see light through it even with my bad eyes.
    Tried running without cleaning needle with no improvement, so it has to be fuel intake or discharge.
    Original owner has told me that in India fuel was scarce so it got a least one load of pump gas, and there appeared to be a yellow sulphur build up on the underside of burner plate.
    I'll look at the jet after dinner.
    Original owner has also found the small spanner, lost the lid but managed to keep a miniature spanner after all these years lol

6. Barrett New Zealand

Dinner can wait when you're fettling can't it.....
    @Lennart F I'd shout you a beer if you were nearer
    Quick scrape out of jet/nipple underside of carbon covering some yellow build up had this result of bluer flame when compared to earlier pic, and cleaner is less sensitive at cleaning point.
    20190723_184407.jpg

Still not screaming, so another full tear down and more intensive clean after dinner, I also wonder if there was some dried residue that my tank flushing didn't remove, but is now dissolving with the CF and heat.
    I think I need to lift burner plate too as the flame seems to be tumbling down into bell as well (notice blue flame in bell air slots.

Cheers
    Barrett

7. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

I wouldn't expect a "screaming flame" from this variety but it should chuff along nearly as well as a SVEA123. Run a few tanks of clean fuel through it and you'll probably improve. As you discovered the underside of the jet and around the cleaning needle get a thick tar like fouling. Replace the tank gasket if you haven't already.

8. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Congrats Barrett,
    For any stove the provenance might include "a key" detail. Having a stove "with a story" :thumbup:, in your case since new, is always a plus.

Made by Shinabro, check.
    There is the Shinabro with 170GR stamped into lid. If you had lid that would ID that.
    For readers and if you hadn't stumbled across these posts already:
    > "8R like stoves" a Shinabro - made, like yours, is among them , credit itchy for content.

> Basically Shinabro model in above link was re-branded as a
    Precise Phoenix Backpacker as seen here :
    in box w/paper NOS. Both the 170 & this backpacker are same stove as far as i know and same brown but the lids are different... if you had a lid :content:.

FWIW I've seen only the one 170GR. In US & CA the Precise Phoenix rebranded stoves aren't particularly rare. Finding one in E.C. complete or NOS as in link... are hard to find.
    thanks for posting, omc

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  9. Colin Geer

Colin Geer Subscriber

I've had a Shinabro 170GR since new and it lasted 35 years with no problems at all ... However, it's always been run on petrol (my bad) and it's now blocked up with gunk and running like a dog.

Used properly and run on the correct fuel they are super little stoves.

10. Barrett New Zealand

Thanks @anlrolfe re expectations, had some improved burning last night, so as you recommend, I will use it and flush it as is for a couple of tanks to see, rather than chasing a performance rainbow that may not be there :)

@OMC great information as always, Thank you.

@Colin Geer you know now that you've admitted your neglect..... you have to punish yourself by cleaning your stove out :)

Cheers
    Barrett

11. Colin Geer

Colin Geer Subscriber

You're absolutely right, Barrett. I bought the stove from the YHA shop in London in the late 70s when I was maybe 19 or 20 and knew no better, but now I really must strip it down and get it working the way it used to. I used it constantly and so did both of my sons so it's done extremely well considering it's had unleaded in it all that time!

What I really want is a Shinabro 400C 'Royale' which was basicaly a poor man's Optimus 111 but with a couple of different features. I saw one a couple of years back but bought a 111 instead. I really should have got the 400C when I had the chance as they don't come up often!