Globetrotter collection

Discussion in 'France' started by Chris J, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Chris J United Kingdom

I appreciate that this little stove didn't exactly change the world, but it certainly rocked mine. I struggled a little with where exactly to put this post, but eventually settled here. There is a vague nod to it being a reference thread I'd like to think.

OK, so to begin with, this is my original, bought brand new as a boy with my pocket money (44 years ago) I have been camping; solo camping in fact since the of 11 when I got my first tent from CCC in Sheffield as a birthday present. I still have the tent in fact but it's somewhat, well, shagged really.

Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 15.42.08.jpg

Backpacking around the Lakes, this little stove heated many a tin of soup, beans and noodles. It's all there, completely genuine and still working.

As you can see, I also have a set of the longer legs that came from a Bluet lantern. I know people have tried to make these, but this is a genuine set. I have quite a few of the larger pierce-able cartridges on the shelf so we're good to go.

I've a decent stack of full GT 106 canisters to see me through the Apocalypse.

Now this may be contentious, as the next stove is a later generation that works off the 270 resealable gas. Purists may say it's not really a Globetrotter as the gas won't fit in the pans. I won't argue. It's in unused condition and complete. There was a version after this one, I believe that had built in ignition. I haven't had this since I was a boy of course. I bought it some years ago when I happened across it one day. At £10 it was too good to pass up.

Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 15.43.38.jpg

Whilst this is a stove forum, I couldn't miss out the Globetrotter lantern that makes up the set. It's a neat little thing complete with carry case. I have tried repeatedly to clean the glass, but I just cannot get those marks off with anything.

Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 15.44.42.jpg

And here it is all together. I've a silly amount of stoves and lanterns, but each one has a special place in my heart, but none more so than the little GT.

Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 15.45.36.jpg

2. Fettler United States

I had a Camping Gaz GT lantern. Very lightweight, bright. The canisters are somewhat unobtanium on this side of the pond.

Try 0000 steel wool and undiluted ammonia to clean the globe. It won't scratch. Or steel wool and stove fuel - real stove fuel mind you. (Kidding!)

3. Chris J United Kingdom

I will do Sir. Thank you.

4. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Unused GT106 canisters are like rocking horse teeth!
    I would keep your unused stash in a safe deposit box, and keep refilling a used one :lol::lol:

5. Chris J United Kingdom

They are under 24 hr armed guard already. Ha ah. Yes there's only a few around now. Most have been snaffled up and hidden away.

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Camping Gaz is from France, is it not?

7. Chris J United Kingdom

Well it is but you could argue that petrol comes from Dubai so should a Coleman come under a Middle East banner? :roll: No 'm not really serious about that. I appreciate that CG is a French brand, but I'm British, the stove is British and I bought it in Britain. I did wonder where to put it and searched for other GT threads. I'd didn't find any under the heading of France. I'm good with it, but if it needs moving then move it.

8. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Nice collection, Chris. There's a couple of Globetrotter (or, at least, GT106-based) lanterns that almost certainly pre-date yours;

there's the Minigas 106, which I suspect may have come first...

Minigas106.jpg

and the Lampe GT ...

LampeGT.jpg

Lovely little lanterns, both. <3

9. Chris J United Kingdom

Indeed they are; the Mino gas in particular. That's definetely the little sister to the stove.