Gloy's 303 (Ender Baby)

Discussion in 'Enders' started by brownjeff, Nov 27, 2018.

1. brownjeff

I just bought a Gloy's mini stove No. 303 at a Boy Scout consignment sale for $2 and then noticed its similarity to my Enders Benzin-Baby No. 9063. The Gloy's has the original box (with slight separation on one side) and a broken funnel. It appears to have been used very lightly. I bought the Enders many years ago on Ebay because it is the same type of stove my parents used on their 10-week European tour in 1958. Can anybody shed a little light on the connection between the two stoves? Thanks!

DSCN0643.JPG

DSCN0644.JPG

DSCN0645.JPG

DSCN0646.JPG

DSCN0647.JPG

DSCN0648.JPG

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Never had heard of Gloys, but that baby has to be a Baby.

3. OptimusPrime Canada

I have to assume that is a re badge.. Is Gloy an American company? My Enders is identical in every aspect, except the blue label has the Enders insignia. I have dated my Enders to the early 80s in memory serves.

4. Wim

Wim Subscriber

The lid of the Gloys still shows the typical Enders "E" stamped in it. All that differs are the labels so it is (to me at least) very clear this is 100% an Enders Baby sold under a different name. An American company also would not put "Nur für benzin" on their products. Too bad the funnel got damaged!

Best regards,

Wim

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@brownjeff
    In THIS post on a Heat Pal alcohol stove I said,

6. OptimusPrime Canada

Thats where I had heard the name before...in relation to Origo....I bought a marine alcohol burner with that name.

7. Lennart F Sweden

And the outdoor illustrations are identical with 70's Trangia boxes giving a clue about the age.

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Good Evening, @brownjeff ,

Nice couple of Babies you have there, Sir! I agree with those who mentioned that Gloy's was an importer, or something similar. My very first Enders Baby #263 came in a box exactly like yours, but with a few small changes, Check this out, to see what I mean:

1.jpg

Note that, instead of Enders, the top left shield on yours had "Gloy's". Also, please note that the pot support on your Gloy's Mini Stove #303 is the very same one that I have on my Enders, but the box, which is otherwise like yours, has an earlier version of the pot support shown on the box photos, whilst the Enders Baby has the same pot support as yours.

3.jpg
    I bought mine, never fired, at "that same old Swap meet" that has produced hundreds and hundreds of stoves over the years, and in fact, brought me another one during the Thanksgiving celebration in San Diego! The Gent from whom I bought mine, quite obviously had only paid $2 for it at a garage sale, but added in another "0" to the price, and sold it to me for $20! Ya' gotta laugh!! Hey, I was happy to find a NOS Enders Baby for just $20, never fired, with the spare parts, and complete instructions!!

Last, you can compare your case lid to mine, which is really identical, aside from color, and lid decal/paper:

2.jpg

Congrats on scoring a wonderful little stove, which is well worth either keeping as a Collector's showpiece, as I did mine, or fettling and firing up to use, as I have other Enders Baby stoves I have!! Well done, and thanks for sharing your new "Baby" with us!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. brian kinne United States

Just bought a Gloys Baby Enders off the Bey for $88.00. Looks to be near new condition, Comes with box. Sure a lot cheaper than buying one with the Enders name on it.

10. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Welcome to CCS, brian.