1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good places to buy fuel.

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Trojandog, Jul 3, 2013.

1. SSW United States

Well I think that I have possibly found a alternative for Coleman fuel. From what I was told one is called 225 Thinner that is available from Northwest Solvents in a 5 gallon container for $60.00. Read the data sheets on the 225 thinner and it appears to be just pure Naptha to me but I might be wrong. I am going to stick with the Crown from Walmart because it costs less per gallon and works fine.

2. hikin_jim United States

A friend of mine just found the cylindrical 100% butane canisters on sale at a Korean market in Seattle, four for $5.00. That works out to $1.25 for 8 oz/225 g of fuel. It's hard to find canister gas for less than that unless you you can find the larger Coleman type propane canisters, which are about 16.4 oz/465 g of fuel, for $2.50 or less. Typically though, the propane costs at least $3.50, and that's if you buy two at a time.

HJ

3. SSW United States

Bought some really good Jet A yesterday that contains no additives from a local airport for $3.50 per gallon. You have to use a metal Jeep can, safety can, or 55 gallon drum. They do not allow plastic. The Jet A burns in my Perfection heater and my lamps and I have not had any soot or issues with wicks. I gave away my last gallon of Klean-Heat because it stinks like rotten paint thinner. Add a little Hoppes#9 and a few drops of alcohol in it smells great keeping the house warm.

4. snwcmpr United States

@SSW
    Good news.
    Did you have the option of Jet A vs. Jet A1? I am not suggesting JetA1, just asking if....

5. Ray123

Ray123 United States Subscriber

@SSW I agree with you on that Klean-Heat. It is some nasty smelling stuff. I like Klean Strip 1-K kerosene for my stoves. Perfect blue flames and besides the one gallon size it's available in 5 gallon size to save some money over the per gallon price.

For my heaters I use pump kero from Speedway (formerly Hess) North Main St, Concord, NH. $3 a gallon, untaxed and undyed.

6. snwcmpr United States

Klean-Heat is a kerosene Alternative.

7. SSW United States

Hello, I don't know what the difference is between Jet A or Jet A1 I am now I am curious. All that I can tell you is at the airport I go to the choices are Jet A in one huge tank the other tank is low lead aviation gasoline. I just walk in from 9 to 5 Monday through Friday and Saturday they close at I'm thinking noon. The Jet A they sell is just a clear non dyed cleaner burning kerosene from what I understand. I asked about the Jet A containing anti gel and anti ice additives. The guy told me that's an extra charge, he has to add it from a truck, would never ever want to be in the same room as a stove or any appliance burning Jet A with the additive because the fumes would make a person very sick. The guy who I buy the Jet A from was curious why I was buying it. He said I'm the first person he has ever seen come in with a 5 gallon can strapped onto a motorcycle in the rain and cold weather. So I told him I am a classic stove enthusiast and how much fun the hobby is. Showed him pictures of my Perfection heater, my kerosene lamps, and the current progress of my Sad Iron stove. I told him to visit the CCS forum, and Miles Stare's site. Ever since he is curious about what else I have been cooking on the Perfection and we talk about stoves and airplanes. First time I bought Jet A this guy said perfect a metal Jeep can no plastic cans are allowed for safety reasons. He pumped the fuel for me teaching and showing me all of the safety procedures for dispensing fuel into a container. The guy explained the rules and what is allowed so I can walk in during business hours and fill my can. I am really happy with the Jet A. For me It seems to burn much cleaner, no problems with a wick, and it lasts as long or possibly a tiny bit longer than the clear dye free K1 kerosene I can get from the local gas station. Thanks for your question and comment. Oops got a cake in the Coleman oven on the Perfection I have to take out that's starting to smell a bit well done. Have a happy holiday season and take care. - Josh

8. snwcmpr United States

JetA1 is JetA with the additives.

9. SSW United States

I talked with the guy I buy solvents from and he told me the Klean-Heat is just basically made from recycled paint thinners. He said that he would feel much safer himself burning regular clear kerosene and did not think that it was a safe or healthy alternative unless it was the last thing available to burn. I trust his professional and personal opinion he has been selling solvents for over 30 years. Have a wonderful day and a happy holiday season.

10. SSW United States

Thank you for sharing that information. I know that the cost with the additives per gallon is pretty expensive.

11. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Jet A is the closest thing to pure kerosene you can buy. But it is only available in North America.

Jet A1 is the next best thing and is available around the world.

The difference between Jet A and Jet A1 is that Jet A1 has a lower freezing point than Jet A and Jet A1 has (mandatory) anti-static additives.

In Australia, all kerosene is Jet A1 has unless specifically imported as prepackaged product. I use it all the time in my lamps, lanterns and stoves and it is excellent. If I had access to Jet A I would use it.

A logical account of Jet A and Jet A1 can be found here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_fuel

Cheers

Tony

12. mthirsch United States

For anyone in the Northern Virginia/DC area, the Citgo stations in Falls Church and Merrifield have clear K-1 kerosene pumps. Last weekend it was about $3.50/gal. Sometimes the K1 pump is down in Falls Church so I recommend calling ahead.

13. SSW United States

So have you ever burned Jet A1 indoors ? I am curious because I had a guy offer me a bunch of it free. He is an aircraft mechanic and gets it from helicopters and planes he services. I don't want to burn anything that will produce toxins that are dangerous to breathe. I love the Jet A it is extremely clean. The only odor I get when I burn it is a sweet pleasant aroma from Hoppes #9 rifle bore cleaner I add to it. I do add a little bit of alcohol to it too because it seems to help keep the wick cleaner. Thank you for the information. - Josh

14. snwcmpr United States

Any idea of what breathing that indoors will do?

15. SSW United States

I add just a half an eye dropper in the font of the Perfection heater every time I fill it up. I run it inside my home and I do a lot of cooking on it. Guessing 10 or 12 hours a day of operation for over a month now. I have had no problems and my pet has no problems. Amyl Acetate aka "Banana oil" in a small amount would be perfectly safe if you want to have a sweet smell. I have bad allergies and I think that if the Hoppes#9 was bad news I would be sick from it by now. I know another trick if someone is sensitive to the smell of kerosene you can put a cup of limestone dust in a gallon, shake it up, let it sit a few days, and pour it thru a felt hat seems to help deodorize it. Adding a little bit of pure grain alcohol or pure isopropyl alcohol helps too. I know that if I don't add the alcohol and the Hoppes#9 I get a headache. If you find anything in the Hoppes that you think might be toxic please let me know. Take care and have a great day. - Josh

16. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

@SSW

Burning Jet A1 indoors in a stove/lamp that is functioning properly is fine. It will produce fewer fumes (fewer additives) than burning the commercial packaged kerosene available here in Australia: but remember that any indoor fire needs some ventilation to/from outside.

Cheers

Tony

17. Phillip Brown United States

I use methanol. I have 1 gallon left over from mixing my own model airplane fuel. I bought it as racing fuel from an auto racing store in a 5 gallon can. I have bought 3ea. 5 gallon cans so far but I now have quit flying models so I have a leftover gallon. The 5 gallon can cost around $38 USD.

18. hikin_jim United States

I was in my local Walmart a couple of days ago, and they had 1K grade kerosene (i.e. the good stuff) on sale for $5/gallon. That's at least 50% off of normal prices.

HJ

19. SSW United States

If you want more methanol let me know I can get it for a great price. What I used to do was buy it from a dry cleaner. I can get quite a few solvents.

20. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

I use Methanol for pre-heating and, when outdoors, for alcohol stoves. BUT, it is poisonous, so needs correct handling. £20.00 for 25 litres locally, as opposed to £6.00 a litre for Meths. I know some people have concerns re vapours, but outdoors it is not an issue. Most studies relate to chronic, long term exposure over many years, mainly in unregulated industrial applications.. Gasoline vapour is also very harmful, but we happily use it in our cars and stoves. In fact, 95% of winter anti-freeze and screenwash is methanol - hence the funny smell when you clear your windscreen. So you breathe in far more methanol vapours driving your car in winter than pre-heating a Primus.

Terry