1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodwill 425F

Discussion in 'Coleman No:425' started by JoeDotCom, Oct 28, 2010.

1. JoeDotCom

just picked up a 425F with some history (stamped for Feb of 1980) at my local Goodwill for $4.99. Thanks for this site, the photos and comments helped me greatly in figuring out how to use the stove. I fired it up last night and was very happy to see it worked!

The only tweak i made (aside from cleaning it) was to "fluff" the plunger in the pump. I saw Walmart had replacement Coleman pumps for $8 but figured I would try to tweak mine before spending the extra $. The pump was not working. so i took the existing plunger out and kinda flattened it a bit, so it fit into its tunnel tighter. it worked immediately. Judging my the cracks and brittleness of the plunger, I think I will be replacing it soon, but i was super happy to be able to take my $4.99 Goodwill treasure and fire it up with no additional cost!

The stove is rusty and was very dirty. I ended up wiping the stove down with a rag and some WD40... is there a better way to clean/preserve the beat-up metal (without putting any/much money into things like repainting)?

Do I need to de-pressurize the fuel tank before storage? if so, how is it best to release the pressure (aside from letting the pressure run out while cooking)

Is it OK to store the coleman fuel in the tank if I only use the stove a few times a year?

1288279845-IMG_3213.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Matukat United States

Nice score Joe! If you read further here, you will see that a soak in some olive oil or neatsfoot oil will help your pump leather, if it's not beyond hope. Motor oil has also been used for soaking pump leathers, as has, I believe, 3 in 1 oil. You get the idea. Any light to med-light oil will work.
    Welcome!

edit- As to letting the pressure out of the tank- turn off the burners, let it cool down, and then open the cap on the tank. Close the cap tightly and stow your tank in the stove. :thumbup:

3. itchy United States

Nice find.

As to leaving fuel in the tank for extended periods. People (including me) do it all the time and the effects are hardly noticeable, over a few years at least. But, water will contaminate the fuel as a result of condensation from humid air pumped into the tank to pressurize it and these tanks can rust badly, so I try to remember to empty out old fuel at the end of the season.

4. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

I just add in a tablespoon of HEET or Iso-HEET to each tankfull, and to hell with the humidity issues!

Keeps the little bit of water from the air from getting to the steel and causing problems.

Murph

5. Lance United States

If you have some rubbing alcohol or medical alcohol that will work just as well.

lance