Governor 'Sump Heater'

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by igh371, Jul 26, 2018.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC07355.JPG
    Here we have an example of one of the more diverse products offered under John Shaw & Sons 'Governor' brand in the 1920s/'30s. This is one of the type of so-called 'sump heaters' which were actually designed to be hung in the gap between the back of the radiator and the engine block on cold nights in the days before anti-freeze! All I can add is that in my opinion this Governor heater is of far better build quality than the versions sold by the likes of Raydyot, Sirram, Desmo etc. No cheap pressed tin construction here; the Governor has a real brass tank and top, and a proper ceramic wick holder8]
    Roughly about the same size/dimensions as a standard pit lamp, this is the 'lamp' referred to in this post.

DSC07348.JPG DSC07350.JPG DSC07351.JPG DSC07352.JPG DSC07353.JPG DSC07354.JPG

2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

3. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

Many a truck probably had a kerosene smudge pot rolled under the crank case back in the old days.
    This looks like it would run much clearer and with the installed screen possibly attempting to be flash/explosion resistant

4. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

I'm surprised that it is marked 'Petrol'. I thought all these ran on paraffin/kerosene.

Hate to be pedantic but this is a radiator heater, not a sump heater. Sump heaters are flat and squat for sliding under the engine. This would have hung on a hook from the bonnet (hood) to sit behind the radiator.

Terry

5. igh371

@Trojandog An important point, the heater does not use petrol, it uses paraffin. I think Trevor just added that generic photo to show what the Governor logo in the centre should look like given how badly worn the logo on the heater is.
    Ian:thumbup:

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Yes! I tried to show the whole logo, but that image was from a blowlamp.

7. igh371

Successfully used overnight to stop inside of Land Rover windows freezing up:content:, much better than the 45 mins it took the other day to scrape the ice off the inside:cry:
    DSC08142e.jpg

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  9. Simes

Simes Subscriber

I think you might need it tomorrow morning as well if the forecast is anything to go by.

10. igh371

This is a better photo (from a different example) of the S.H.&S badge on one of these old Governor radiator heaters:
    DSC08144.JPG

11. igh371

This addition to the thread is to compare the Governor radiator heater with 2 other higher-end contemporary British frost heaters, the 2-pint Primus is for scale:

DSC08176.JPG

All 3 use British Sherwoods ceramic wick holders:

DSC08177.JPG

The brass tank Governor and the copper tank Ever Warm use the same Sherwoods Lynlight burner, whilst the cast aluminium body heater uses a Sherwoods Mobilite burner:

DSC08178.JPG

DSC08180.JPG

Each one of the 3 shares the use of a less corrosion susceptible tank material with a ceramic burner to set it aside from the usual tin plate Raydyots, Sirrams and Desmos. It would be interesting to know who made the aluminium bodied radiator heater. Perhaps someone will recognise what remains if the logo:

DSC08179.JPG

@Trojandog @Simes @shagratork

12. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Thanks for the prompt Ian. I'm going to keep an eye out for them from now on.

I can see how handy one would be in a van say given cold weather as you did. Unlikely to need more than one, but we all know what happens when you start looking....

13. Radler Switzerland

The logo shows a centrifugal governor as used for steam engines or early diesel motors. It keeps the rotational speed steady.

Radler

14. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

[​IMG]
    in Poland - it's Watts regulator