Green Tinted Fuel

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by HunterStovie, Oct 18, 2021.

1. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

Does anybody know of a green tinted fuel??

I recently purchased a Coleman 502 from ebay. It looked nice enough in the pictures though when I received it it was still full of fuel that seeped passed the rotted cap gasket. I replaced the cap gasket, lubed the pump cup and flushed the tank with alcohol because there was a green tint inside the tank which turned the alcohol green.

I pumped up the tank empty and when I opened the valve, nothing. I removed the regulator, valve and packing and disconnected the pipe from the generator. I noticed the tip of the spring loaded rod from the fuel tube inside the regulator housing was stuck in down position so I ended up pulling the assembly from the fount.

This is when I discovered the tip of the fuel tube was coated in hardened green gunk glued to the end. I was able to clean the assembly and put the stove back together. Current output is about 40% and I have a check valve issue.

Based on the overall condition it looked to only be test fired. It's dated stamped 6/66 so I'm thinking it's possessed.

I'll be running some new fuel through and hope it perks up.

2. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

Coleman fuel has a slight green tint to it.

3. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I also have a 6/66 in the 502 and a 6/66 lantern in the 220 series. They both work fine, although the 502 is a devil of a stove. 5D3CAC6A-67F9-4E25-A52B-71241698B071.jpeg

4. Jim Lukowski

Jim Lukowski United States Subscriber

The 502 is an awesome stove, and has one of the more classic looks. It's not a powerhouse at 4500 BTU, but is reliable and fuel economical. The green tinted fuel that was in there was likely Coleman fuel. If so, it was probably fine since Coleman fuel doesn't go bad, but there's no telling what was burned in it earlier in its life. Like a typical Coleman lantern, you want to open the valve all the way after the generator gets heated. Letting it run a while like you plan will probably help immensely. Just know that the fount on these get really hot and that's normal. As a result of it getting so hot, the stove is pretty much self pressurizing once it's going.

I feel rather certain that your stove isn't possessed because it was made in June of '66. Neither do I think that everyone born in June of '66 is a devil's spawn. :)

5. HunterStovie

@BradB , nice paint job.
    @Murph , the can I have is clear going in. Really Green coming out.
    @Jim Lukowski , thanks but not my first 502. I wish my camera had been working, I was going to post a picture. It looked like the air tube had been dipped in green lacquer.

Anyway I have a spare regulator assembly I might try out once I fix my other issue I'm having a weird pump issue, as in I can pump air in with the stove off but once it's running it's like the check valve is stuck, really hard pumping, and I can't add any more air. To make things worse I can't find my check valve removal tool.

Mike

6. HunterStovie

I found my check valve tool and removed the check valve, it was fine. I did find fuel behind the valve and the fount was not overfilled. Tomorrow I will fill it half full and see if I have an internal leak. More to follow.

7. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

One of the grades of AVGAS used to have a green tint.
    Pretty high octane for a campstove.

8. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

isnt the 502 a stove that wants to kill you?

9. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

No that's the 501. The 502s are benign. Improved 501s with the evil bugs deloused.

10. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

Coleman has used both a green and a blue tint to their fuel at various times in the past.

11. BradB

I have had more than one Coleman that had green crusty deposits on the fuel pickup. I guess I never thought much about it, other than thinking it was general “corrosion”. Maybe I was wrong.

12. ArcticStoves

Whilst the Coleman users here know more than I, I have encountered Bright Green Canadian fondue fuel alcohol, dyed so intensely that it turned the burner green, new normal ethanol fuel green etc...

Good luck fettling!

13. HunterStovie

Definitely not the green corrosion we are all used to but what looked like green lacquer or paint. Maybe someone was trying to disable the stove. Anyway I had a spare check valve so that problem is fixed. I'm still not happy with the output, but it's definitely good enough to cook with. I'll post pictures when I'm done messing with it, but it is just another 502 nothing special.

14. BradB

@HunterStovie do you think the pump breather tube “snorkel” might be partially blocked?

15. Duck United States

I wonder if someone tried using kerosene in it.

16. Yun124

Yun124 Subscriber

Hello, big curious about the actual photo, hope will be shared later :)
    If it was painted, very strange but It's real that there are so many strangers in our world.