Halla Sport Stove

Discussion in 'Jae IL Metal Co' started by The Bird, Oct 23, 2010.

1. The Bird

Hello all,

This is my first attemp at posting, so please forgive a humble techno-phobe his misgivings.

I recently purchased a Halla Sport Stove. It called to me, and begged for a home.....how could I refuse!!! The hook was the dandy-lookin; can that the stove is stored in, I haven't seen another quite like it.

When it arrived, amid great excitement, it was unwrapped and examined with great care and curiosity. The dandy-lookin' can was opened, and the contents subjected to deep scrutiny.

The most obvious feature was the Pre-heater Torch. I have not seen one on a stove before, and was keen to give it a whirl.

The next revelation was the discovery of a Roarer Cap AS WELL as a set of Silent Caps. The revelation was that these were found to be interchangeable on the same Regulated Burner.

Also included was a Funnel, and a "Tool Kit." which contained only a spanner. I suspect that it contained prickers as well, though the burner has a built-in Cleaning Needle.

After inspecting the contents of the can, the usual checks were carried out. The NRV and Tank Lid Seal were checked, and found to be in good nick. The Tank was emptied and flushed, the seals checked, pumped up, and then submerged in a bucket of water. No leaks found, so all good. The Pump Plunger required a new O-Ring, which was duly installed. The only hiccup was the Needle Valve on the Pre-heater Torch, which also required O-Ring replacement.

With the pre-fight checks completed, 'twas play-time!!! The tank was filled with half a litre of clean Kerosene, and pumped up (60 strokes.) The valve on the Pre-heater Torch was opened, and the in-built flint struck.....IGNITION!!! I allowed a good 2 minutes to pre-heat, and the opened the main valve. The Roarer lit with a loud pop, which settled to a comfortable drone once the Pre-heater Torch was shut off.

The flames were a little on the orange side, any advice would be welcomed. I filled a Trangia Kettle with 1 litre of tap water, and set it on the stove. A rolling boil was achieved at 5 minutes precisely.

I shut the stove down, and lifted off the Roarer Cap, exchanging it for the Silent Caps. A fresh fill of cold water, and the Boil Test was repeated. The Silent Caps returned a time of 5:05 minutes, such a small difference!!!

With all that enjoyable play achieved, time to polish. Fine steel wool, then chemical scrubbing compound, finishing with Brasso. Brasso even put the lustre back into the can.

Summary: An interesting stove, the Pre-Heater Torch was soooo much fun!!! The interchangeable caps are very cool, and the energy put out by the burner is surprising. The cons are: the gauge of the brass in the tank is comparatively light. The Roarer Cap and the Silent Caps show negligible difference in the volume of sound thrown out, the difference being the customary drone of the Roarer cap.

Lastly, I hope the pictures work..... [-o< [-o< [-o<

1287814750-Halla_Sport_Stove_-_Stove_Can.jpg

1287814762-Halla_Sport_Stove_-_Stove_Can_Rear.jpg

1287814789-Halla_Sport_Stove_-_Stove_Can_Instructions.jpg

1287814808-Halla_Sport_Stove_-_Stove_Packed.jpg

1287814833-Halla_Sport_Stove_-_Stove_Unpacked.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. The Bird

More of the pics..... :D/
    1287815440-Halla_Sport_Stove_-_Both_Burner_Caps_1.jpg

Both Burner Caps.

1287815457-Halla_Sport_Stove_-_Pre-heater_Torch.jpg

Pre-heater Torch.

1287816187-Halla_Sport_Stove_-_Roarer_Burner_4.jpg

Roarer Burner.

1287816174-Halla_Sport_Stove_-_Roarer_Burner.jpg

Roarer Burner.

1287816375-Halla_Sport_Stove_-_Roarer_Burner_3.jpg

Roarer Burner, Kettle On.

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Bird. A high quality first post.
    The S. Koreans continue(d) to manufacture kerosene stoves well after the European makers had moved on to pastures new. These S. Korean stoves are very innovative, and as in the case of your stove, they seem to have packed in as many "gizmos" as possible.

This particular Halla stove seems to share many features with the later (1980s) Annby stoves:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/150

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/9063

Oh, your "tool kit" is complete IMO, and would only have contained the one spanner. The other pockets are for the stove legs, not prickers, as the stove has a built-in cleaning needle.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. The Bird

The rest of the pics..... :clap:

1287816531-Halla_Sport_Stove_-_Silent_Burner.jpg

Silent Burner.

1287816552-Halla_Sport_Stove_-_Silent_Burner_2.jpg

Silent Burner, Kettle On.

I hope you enjoyed it, I certainly did/am/will be!!!

Best regards,

Mike.

5. The Bird

Hello Kerophile,

Thank you for the compliment, but I only follow where Giants have trod before. You and the others have made it so easy for us to follow, so MY hat is off to YOU...collectively.

The links were very interesting, the 747 is very similar, perhaps a later model? I like the can your comes in, but I think there would be just that little extra space in the square one.

Have you fired yours yet? I found mine such a pleasure to use, the need for a Pre-heating Spirit Cup is almost gone. The Pre-Heater Torch is so easy to use, I'd not even bother to carry the meths at all, and a pack of spare flints would take up so much less space.

Cheers,

Mike.

6. Lance

First time poster and you hit the big time. :D/ :D/ :D/

Welcome and Well Done lad. :clap: :clap: :clap:

These are most interesting stoves and it appears you have done yourself proud to pick a great one.

i suspect the orange flame will stop once you have run a few tanks full of fuel throug. It's my guess there is some bad fuel or some other type of oil left in the fount and pickup tubes which will "burn off" over time. Might even be a bit of water in there from condensation. NOt to worry as it should clean up fairly quickly.

lance

7. bolexguy

bolexguy Subscriber

That is lovely - where can I find one!

I love that preheater torch on it

8. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

I love the Korean stoves. When Park first came on the scene posting here it was a revelation how many innovations there were in that market. Quality too.

This was too good to languish & be buried by chat in the Lounge so I have moved it to the Stove Reference Gallery where this brand has it's section.

9. The Bird

Hello Gents,

Thank you for your kind words.

Hello Lance, I appreciate your comments on the orange flames, and will gladly follow up on your advice. Anyone who tells me I must burn more kero is tops in my book!!!

Kerophile, you were right about the tool kit, the legs fit in there perfectly. Many thanks for the tip.

Hope you all enjoy your weekend.

Cheers,

Mike.

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Morning, Mike,

Your stove is flat-out stunning, Sir, and it's very nice to see the ancestor of my own Annby 747, and most especially in such outstanding condition!!! You are to be congratulated for scoring such a fine example of superlative Korean engineering and design!!! Well done, and many thanks for all the excellent photographs, too!! Thanks for sharing, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc