Handi Stovette

Discussion in 'Handi Works Pty Ltd' started by Doc Mark, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, All,

Today, a new gent at CCS posted a few fun photos of a Handi Oven that he'd just bought. This reminded me that I had never posted photos of my own Handi products, including my lovely Handi Stovette. Back in the early 1980's, I saw an ad in a local rag, though which people sold off their "junk", and stuff. It advertised an "Australian camping stove", and the seller wasn't too far from me. So, I called, and made arrangements to see the offered stove. I was amazed at how lovely it was, and in truth, it had never been fired, and came with paperwork, tool, and some spare parts. After a bit of negotiations, I walked away with my new Handi Stovette. Cost? $40, if memory serves!

I still need to set it up, and take some quality, and highly detailed photos of this great stove. But, today, I'll at least begin by posting the various photos I have of the Handi Stovette, taken at CASG events, beginning with the very first such event we ever did, many years ago!

These firsts shots were taken at CASG #1, many years back. Amidst my stove display, you can just see the green case and burners of the Handi Stovette at the bottom of the photo.

1.JPG

2.JPG

The next few shots, were snapped at CASG #8, where, again, I had a big display of stoves, including the Stovette.

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

And, one photo from CASG #2.

7.JPG

Not too long ago, someone here at CCS asked about Portuguese-made Patria burners, and as those are the burners that are used in the Handi Stovette, I went down to the Hobbit Hole, and snapped a few quick photos of the burners. I haven't fired them up too much, but they seem robust, and work quite well. In truth, I don't want to mar the lovely green case by using this stove too much, but both burners actually lift out of the case, and an be used, together, or separately. So, I really should give it a go. Maybe at the next CASG event, I'll do just that. Here are the Patria burners:

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg
    As you can see, this lovely Handi Stovette, is very well made, and in excellent condition. After becoming a member of CCS, I was honored to meet and become friends with Handi Albert, from Down Under, who, at that time, owned what was left of the once prolific and great HandiWorks stove company, in Australia. Albert is a fine Gent, and a good man, and I learned a lot about Handi stoves from him, and in fact, did some trades to get a few more Australian-made stoves, including a nice Handi Quik Boil, and a few Companion brass stoves. Back then, Albert had spare parts to sell and trade, too, though I believe those days are long gone, now.

In closing, the Handi Stovette, and other products manufactured by the Handi Company, were well designed, and well built, and of excellent quality. I'm blessed and honored to have my Handi Stovette, and to have met Handi Albert. Good man, he! I'll dig out my paperwork, and a Handi catalog that I think is down in the Hobbit Hole, "someplace", and post them here when I find them. Thanks for checking this out, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

2. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout Subscriber

You look like a kid who just inherited a candy store Doc! Nice post, thanks for sharing. Jerry

3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

I have a couple of stoves from Albert - a real gent.
    I should get around to posting them.
    In case members have not noticed in Doc's photos, the fuel tanks are made of copper.
    Yes, pure, beautiful copper!

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Metropolitantrout , @shagratork ,

Jerry and Trevor,

Thanks, Guys! It's always fun to setup stove displays at the CASG events. We've had some very good ones, over the years! Just like they do at Newark, we love looking at such displays, and that's part of the fun of attending such events!

Trevor, yes, you are absolutely right! The tanks ARE copper, and with the brass fuel caps and accouterments, they make a very beautiful combination, me thinks!! When I can, I'll take and post more detailed photos, with the big camera, so you can see much more of this lovely stove, including some flame shots! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Netherlands Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Tony Press ,

Thanks, Tony! I love the Stovette, but really need to use it. Other than firing it up and few times, when I first got it, I've not fired it since then. Don't want to muck of the case paint, but in truth, I can just remove both burners, which are bolted together, and use a different type of windscreen with the Stovette. I'll give' er a go, one of these days, and will post photos here, when that happens. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc