Handy campers' stove

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Doron Papo, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Doron Papo

Doron Papo Subscriber

Hi
    My new find today at the flee market a complete Handy campers' stove
    1298068122-HANDY5.jpg

Here is a close up of the label
    1298068110-HANDY4.jpg

and as it was used before added some fuel and pre-heated
    1298068052-HANDY2.jpg

and burns strong
    1298068059-HANDY3.jpg

and with a pot.
    1298068044-HANDY1.jpg

Does any one collect these?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. hikin_jim

They have a reputation for being dangerous I seem to recall. :shock:

HJ

3. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello,
    I have several of these stoves. They are quick hot burners good to heat up a pot of water. You have no control over the flame it just burns and surges to a constant roar. The problem with them is that you must extinguish them by a quick blow of air to the coil. Then losen the tank cap. Right after you extingush the flame the fuel will come out of the coil as a gas then a liquid. So just losen the cap and relieve the pressure. The cork is there to plug the hole in the coil when the tank is full of fuel. When you seal the tank cap and fuel remains in the tank the heat from where ever you store it (your trunk, backpack etc) will pressurize in the tank and if there is no cork the fuel will run out. Just like a SEVA 123 when you warm the tank with your hands to push out the fuel for primming.

They suffer from stress fractures like any other brass tank so keep an eye out.

Chuck

4. hikin_jim

Isn't that dangerous to loosen the cap when the stove is hot?

HJ

5. The Bird

The Bird Subscriber

Hello Jim,

I too have one, and take it with me every time I travel distances. I use it to brew up at the roadside, to break a journey. I have no issues with it, as long as I don't open the tank before I have snuffed the flame. I keep it in an Ammunition Box, along with a Sirram Kettle, and the necessary supplies. It serves me very well, and is in many ways as capable as my Primus 71.

As stated above, it is a great little boiler, but is completely uncontrolled. As safe as the person using it, so as long as it is respected for what it is, no worries. Fun to use, and very quick to get going.

I can recommend them, as long as all due care is taken, and they are well maintained.

Best regards,

Mike.

6. nzmike

I had an identical one, I quite liked it, it was nothing if not enthusiastic, but that wasn't to say I trusted it an inch. You have to admire it's simplicity tho, no moving parts and only one seal to keep an eye on.

7. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

i have two like this,after a few trys and the "problem" with putting it out i now use them as bookends.

8. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

The safest way to put it out is to pour some cold water on the tank.

I have an identical one, also from the local flea market. It has a small crack in the tank, so I keep it for display only.

Yonadav

9. itchy

I now have a few of this design and I think the concept is good, but the manufacturing quality of the product may not always be.

They are quick to light, run very hot for such a small stove, and fun to use for a quick boil. Obviously not a good choice if you need to "cook" something since there is no simmer and the tank gets really hot quickly.

The blowing-out-flame followed by venting is probably safe enough because vapor continues to spew until the pressure is released. So if it were going to reignite it would do so before you released the pressure. Never-the-less, the margin for error does seem small.

10. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi Doron

Nice example of that type of stove.
    I have a number of them with different names.

I think that type of windshield was put on the later versions.

I have never seen one with its box - brilliant!!!

I have used them successfully lots of times.
    Always make sure you use a relatively small diameter pan on them so that too much heat is not reflected back to the stove.

And as has already been said for anyone reading this, to extinguish, direct a quick, hard blow at the coil pinhole and then release the pressure - NEVER the other way round!!!

Nice one Doron!

11. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  12. Doron Papo

Doron Papo Subscriber

I must say I do like it but its play and let go on this one (mixed feelings here)

13. mbechtel

Has anybody ever tried one of these with alcohol?

14. Lance

As much as your question sets me to thinking i'm fair sure that using alcohol and this stove at the same time would not be a wise choice. Much like using alcohol and driving a car, they really do not mix. :lol: :lol:

Yes, i know what you meant.

lance

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  15. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

It might come handy for heating Japanese Sake, if that's what you mean...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015