Havent been here for a long while...but....

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by It'l Dodat, Jan 14, 2019.

1. It'l Dodat

Here is a rather nice WW II issue petrol field burner, 100 % complete & working that I picked up in December.

I've done a video of lighting it up, but not sure how to upload the video.

As the day goes on I'll post comments on the pictures.

Besides this one, I've got another very special one on the cook..... I'll post when it arrives.

stove field petrol g burner in position.jpg

stove field petrol t first cookup 1 mug water 5 mi.jpg stove field petrol q first time start roaring.jpg stove field petrol p leather seal excellent.jpg stove field petrol p funnel sieve perfect.jpg stove field petrol o lid unlatched by stand bracke.jpg stove field petrol n carry handle.jpg stove field petrol n upside down is right way.jpg stove field petrol m closed and secured closed.jpg stove field petrol l flame control knob.jpg stove field petrol k accessory funnel for filling.jpg stove field petrol j grid upside down perhaps.jpg stove field petrol k grid right way perhaps.jpg stove field petrol j ready to be  fuelled.jpg stove field petrol i pressure pump unlatched.jpg stove field petrol h pressure pump latched.jpg stove field petrol f windshield and instructions.jpg stove field petrol e all the accesories.jpg stove field petrol d spares cover latch disengage.jpg stove field petrol c spares cover latch engaged.jpg stove field petrol b lid open.jpg stove field petrol a front ready to be opened up.jpg

2. Simes

Simes Subscriber

A stove that has a rather small fan base. It is one that divides many.

3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

These were build very strong as they had to live on the outside of military vehicles. Being mil spec they were never meant to be pretty, only practical. As these are designed to run on petrol, maintenance is important (with their very limited life expectancy during war times this was not much of a problem back then). So yes, some love'em, some hate'em! I like them. I have 2 of these (one is a NOS 1970s example) and 2 of their bigger brothers + ovens. A bit heavy for backpacking, but fine for car camping.

Best regards,

Wim

4. It'l Dodat

Thanks fellas.

Please excuse my English, as my "mother toung" is actually Africkaans, whic is a hoch-poch of Dutch / French / Flemmish and a host of others......

One needs to bear in mind that here, in South Africa, we don't get much in the way of stuff like this, and when you do it's very expensive.... So not only is it a find, it's a find of note!

OK, so what I have in mind is to "de-millitar-ise" it for use as a civillian cooker of that period. The "value as original" is not an issue to me as I'm not re-selling, but rather to add it to my collection, of theme camps, one of which is "camping 70 years ago", and it would fit in nicely with a Swiss dome tent that has cane poles....

If I re-painted / powder-coated it, I'm thinking black on the inside, red petrol tank and chockolate brown bottom with beige lid...

Or do you fundies have insight to colors of that period?.....

Thanks
    Warren

5. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@Wim, they also have a limited tank capacity. I take the wind shield off and use it to drive the coleman oven. I can't think of a use for it otherwise.

Mine would also benefit from a repaint, another round tuit job. Probably.throw it at the powder coating people and say whatever they are using that particular day and see.what turns up.

6. It'l Dodat

7. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Hopefully. :D

8. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

A really nice example of a No.2 Mk2 :thumbup:

Alec.

9. It'l Dodat

Hi Alec,
    What gives it the Mk2 as different from the Mk1?
    Thanks

10. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Great to see you back @It'l Dodat . Great stove, I imagine on clean fuel instead of pump petrol, it would last just fine.

11. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Hi, HERE is a post that you may find informative.
    Warning - Military cookers and their respective equipment are addictive.... :whistle:

Alec.

12. It'l Dodat

Many thanks Rangie... I kinda pegged it now.

from the SA forum, we wore browns, the info is that the unit was issued with an armoured personell carrier called the RATEL, but was modified to be used with diesiel.

ratel.jpg

This units clearly states in the instructions, for use with "unleaded" petrol

So I believe that I have the model issued during WW II so that would be around 1945

ADDICTION....
    You got that soooo right..... Here are a couple of pictures, of a display I set up, at the local forum KAMPFORUM's get together, March last year.... My interest lies in portable - camp cookers and related items...

DSCN0271.JPG DSCN0303.JPG DSCN0304.JPG DSCN0305.JPG DSCN0322.JPG DSCN0334.JPG DSCN0335.JPG DSCN0336.JPG DSCN0337.JPG DSCN0338.JPG DSCN0339.JPG DSCN0340.JPG DSCN0341.JPG DSCN0291.JPG DSCN0287.JPG DSCN0300.JPG DSCN0301.JPG DSCN0306.JPG DSCN0307.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2019
  13. It'l Dodat

Morning you lazy lot..:lol:

I've been up since 02:00 this morning, watching U tube clips about fixing Optimus R8's as I've just been offered one, and it's comming up from Outshorn in the Cape (+- 1000Km's away).... Learnt some neat tricks... use a piece of a mop for a wick, don't leave the valve knob in when it's running because it get's hot, and a whole heap of stuff that I still have to jot down on my newest home-brewed how-to-do-it manual.....

I've posted about my very special one that I had on the cook when I made this post, and as you can see I've now got a third one in the pipeline!

I know, to you guys over the big water's, this is "old takkie" & just another one, but you have to take into consideration that older stoves and the like are extriemely rare in SA, and when you do come acroos one, the prices are way out of preportion to what it is because of that.

The next one down the line is a rather mundane Optimus R8, but I have been looking for an affordable one for what.... 20 -25 years??? So that gives you an idea of just how small the stock of these things is...

But, back to this little baby

Ok so here is the video I was blabbering on about

14. Marc

Marc Subscriber

If you have to replace the wick and use a mop head to do so, make sure you burn a piece of it and make sure it actually burns instead of melts. Many of them are a synthetic of some sort and totally unsuitable, no matter how many times the package says cotton.

15. It'l Dodat

EEK! took too long to get back, (making an early morning cuppa...seee................ But now I can't edit above video...

EDIT
    Here I'm using 93 unleaded petrol, and obviously over pressured the tank, I know better now....

Remember, this is South Africa, not the UK or America.... Unlike you guys where these are literally hundreds and hundreds of examples, with swop-meets all the time....... Nothing like that at all..........here stuff like this is really very scarce.

16. It'l Dodat

Marc thanks, added to my FETTLING notes...

17. It'l Dodat

Hi Marc, Thanks, I plucked a string from a brand new mop at work, shovelled it into a flame and it burns! got me wick's for a ton of years
    THNKS
    Warren

18. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Another observation check would be to blow out flaming cotton, which should then just smoulder slightly, possibly with glowing embers if breathed on.

If it's at all tacky to touch you'll have manmade.fibres in there.

19. It'l Dodat

Hi Simes
    Smouldered.... No plastic in that. BTW I'm in plastic injection moulding...

20. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Good stuff, glad to hear.

I've been wanting to re-wick my cheap Chinese mop-wick stove. Have bought a couple "cotton" mop heads and both have turned out to be synthetic of some sort. Luckily my mop uses the same head, so not exactly a loss.