Heat Exchange Kettle

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by z1ulike, Dec 9, 2014.

1. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

1418153832-PC090001_opt.jpg

I just received this 1.5 liter Fire Maple heat exchange kettle which I purchased on eBay directly from China. The same kettle is sold in the U.K. under the Fox Cookware brand. Here is a YouTube link to a demonstration video of the Fox version. http://tinyurl.com/k4sqhzl

1418154055-PC090003_opt.jpg

The lid has a lifting tab that stands up when tilted one way and folds flat when tilted the other. Handy for not burning one's fingers.

1418154159-PC090005_opt.jpg

The spout is shaped so the liquid pours in an even stream.

1418154371-PC090009_opt.jpg

There are 1 inch high heat exchange fins around the outside perimeter of the pan bottom.

1418154429-PC090006_opt.jpg

1418154455-PC090010_opt.jpg

When placed on the stove the flames are directed up through the center hole in the bottom and out through the heat exchange fins surrounding it.

1418154547-PC090013_opt.jpg

The handle on the kettle has an orange plastic coating which allows the kettle to be picked up without using a pot holder even when its contents are boiling.

1418154742-PC090014_opt.jpg

Both the Fire Maple and my Primus Litech 1.5 liter kettles are made of hard annodized aluminum. They both have the same 6" diameter and the same lid hole size. The Fire Maple is 1 inch taller to accommodate the heat exchange fins and weighs 103 grams (3.6 oz) more for the same reason. 308 grams (10.8 oz) for the Fire Maple and 205 (7.2 oz) for the Primus Litech.

1418155022-PC090015_opt.jpg

My testing confirms the Fire Maple claim of 30% increased efficiency. It took 10.5 minutes to boil a liter of water in the Primus but only 7 minutes to boil a liter in the Fire Maple on a French Vesta stove under similar conditions.

I prefer the black plastic handle and lid knob on the Primus to the orange handle and lifting tab on the Fire Maple mostly for aesthetic reasons and because the lid knob is less fussy than the tab. But if you're conscious of your fuel consumption or in a hurry to have a hot cup of Joe, the Fire Maple wins hands down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. arson51

I got my fire maple kettle earlier this year and I really like it. I wish it was made in titanium.

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

4. redspeedster

redspeedster United Kingdom Subscriber

Why?
    Thermal conductivity

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. arson51

To make it weigh less and be stronger of course! Also a wider mouth so a Svea123 can fit into it would be nice as well.

6. z1ulike

Titanium cookware has a better strength to weight ratio than aluminum. Because of its strength titanium pots have very thin walls and transfer heat very efficiently. It's a good choice for weight conscious backpackers who are only boiling water. If weight isn't the paramount concern, and you're cooking anything besides water, anodized aluminum is a better choice because of its thermal conductivity and non-stick properties.

All of the Fire Maple heat exchange cookware is made of anodized aluminum. Their titanium line is standard cookware without the heat exchange feature.

7. berserker

berserker Subscriber

Ben,

Hello my friend from Santa Barbara! Thank you for the test. I have had my eye on the LiTech 1.5L for sometime on the bay, just waiting for a deal.

I have not really considered the Fire Maple until you posted. Nice looking kettle. All things considered, I still like the LiTech. Out in the campsite the time to boil is negotiable.

I can't remember, but it may have been this classic CCS post from PressCall that had me sold on the LiTech... haha

Thompson Richie

Well, we all can't own a Thompson, so LiTech looked good to me! Others have the 1.5L LiTech too, they just don't come to mind right now.

Again, thanks for the test! You have been busy with the hobby! The wife and I are in SB Saturday for the Nutcracker at the Arlington.

best regards,

Jim

8. redspeedster

redspeedster United Kingdom Subscriber

IMHO titanium cookware is a case of Emperor's New Clothes. Why pay more for something that does the job worse. Anodised aluminium is a far superior material for pans and kettles for backpacking. If it was sold with a flash name like ultralunium, ad men's dream, consumerist backpackers and bloggers would buy it by the bucket load. And obviously go on and on about it.

Rant over

9. Odd

So, it would be possible to fit the Primus LiTech handle and lit to the FireMaple pot then? Rivets ground away of course...

10. z1ulike

Odd, you could absolutely do that. I've already switched lids and have added the Fire Maple pot to my coffee making kit. It really does work well and why take more time and use more fuel than necessary? I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble of grinding the rivets off and swapping handles but the distance between the handle supports is identical as are the rivet size so it could definitely be done.

P.S. - How do you guys get those quotes to show up in a box like that? I've tried but can't figure it out.

11. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

You just simply use the quote button when you are in full reply (i.e. not the quick reply at the bottom of each topic).
    Once you click it, the two codes "quote" and "/quote" will appear inside brackets where your marker was positioned in the text field.
    After that you just paste the desired, and as short as possible, text between the two bracketed quote codes.

It looks like this (the text used in my screenshot is from another example):
    1382983592-citat.jpg

And what Odd and many other miss, is to also assign the quote to the person being quoted.
    If you want to assign the quote to a certain person, you just write his or her name after an equal sign inside the first bracket.
    As seen here. (Ed was the example I used first time I explained this function in this topic, hence his name in this screenshot.)
    1383063947-citat.jpg

12. anlrolfe

13. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

It's Ben's Vesta stove.

Ken in NC

14. z1ulike

Thanks for the tutorial! I never saw the quotation mark symbol because I've always posted in quick reply. Being able to add the name is really a bonus. I should have used the search function to find this out rather than you having to re-post the instructions. I apologize for not thinking of that and appreciate you going to the extra trouble of teaching me.

15. geneislucky

Ben, thanks for the post and the link to the US branded product. Since anodized aluminum can come in colors, why buy the anodized product in titanium grey? Best of both world ! :D

16. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

You can also avoid the pointless line at the bottom when editing your posts. In the Edit screen, scroll down to the bottom and click on the '+' next to Reason For Edit. Then check the box - 'Don't mark this post as edited' and click 'Add post' as you normally would. Hope that helps...

17. Odd

When comparing the Primus LiTech kettle, the Optimus Terra kettle and the Fire Maple kettle - they sure look like they're all made in the same (probably Chinese) sub-contractor factory. :idea: It's only in details like lid, handle and rivets they seem to differ...

So, now I'm also building me a "Primus" Heat-Exchanger Franken-kettle. :D/ Thanks for telling the rest of us!

18. z1ulike

Well I've just finished my "Primus" Heat-Exchanger Franken-Kettle. Here it is:

1418489436-Finished.JPG

Like I said before I preferred the Primus handle for aesthetic reasons. That bright orange Fire Maple color just assaults my senses. So, I bought some Plasti Dip in a rattle can and sprayed over the orange plastic handle grip. Two coats did the job nicely. Plasti Dip is the stuff they put on tool handles and feels exactly like the orange handle did.

Before you go drilling out rivets and swapping the Fire Maple handle for the Primus LiTech handle here's a couple of things to consider:

1418489996-Handle_Mounts__FILEminimizer_.jpg

The handle and mounts on the Fire Maple (left) are made of stainless steel which is a very poor conductor of heat. The Primus handle (right) and mounts are made of anodized aluminum which is a very good conductor of heat.

1418490096-Holding_Handles__FILEminimizer_.jpg

You can grab the Fire Maple handle (left) with your entire hand because the whole stainless steel handle stay cool to the touch. The convex curve on the underside of the handle is comfortable when lifting and your thumb fits securely in the concave curve on the handle's top. With the Primus handle you can only pick it up using 3 fingers on the plastic grip. The rest of the aluminum handle is too hot to touch.

With regards to the lids, I prefer the Primus over the Fire Maple not just for aesthetic reasons but for practical reasons as well.

1418490486-Knobs__FILEminimizer_.jpg

Both the Fire Maple and the Primus LiTech suffer the same problem. The lids don't click into the kettle they just sit there. So, when you tilt the kettles enough to drain them completely the lids fall off. That means you have to hold them in place with a finger of your other hand while pouring. This is more difficult with the Fire Maple tab (left) since it's rather small and flops around. No so with the Primus Knob (right) which gives you a large flat area to rest your finger on.

P.S. - If anyone would like a 1.5 liter Primus LiTech kettle with an orange tabbed Fire Maple lid, send me a private message. I'll send it to you free of charge (U.S. only). Actually I'll have a second of these to send out as soon as I get another Fire Maple to replace the LiTech on my boat.

19. z1ulike

URGENT UPDATE - The Plasti Dip DID NOT work. Don't try it! It looked good at first but after just a little handling it peeled right off leaving me again with an orange handle. Still hating the orange color I painted it over with a black Sharpie permanent marker which covered it well. I should have tried the simple solution first.

20. geneislucky

Thanks for updating your info with the results of the plastic dip.