1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heat-resistant burner washers, and fitting them.

Discussion in 'Fettlers Master Class' started by kerophile, Jun 27, 2008.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi, I have recently been offering some heat-proof burner washers for sale to CCS members. I was subsequently asked, by PM, for some advice on fitting such washers.

DSCN0124_edited-7.jpg

Above you will see burner washers fitted to a one-pint and two pint, classic stove burner.

DSCN0135_edited-1.jpg

These are replacement heat-proof washers for the one-pint size burner

DSCN0134.jpg

And, these are heat-proof washers for the 2-pint size burner ( which also fits 1.75pint "discus" stoves)

It was then suggested that it would perhaps be useful to make such advice more widely available by posting it on the Fettling Forum, so here goes:

Burner washers can be challenging to make at home, and I had these made professionally. If you try punching them yourself you either need an expensive concentric punch set, which allows single strike production of a washer, or you do double strike, and perhaps get split washers or off-centre holes.

Originally, for classic stoves, burner washers were made of asbestos-bearing compound. They were very brittle and probably injurious to health. You were advised to wet them before installation as this made them a bit more pliable...but I still lost every second one to breakage.

Along with my friend, Bryan Miller, I did a lot of research to get the correct dimensions, and suitable non-asbestos, heat-resistant, gasket material....The washers I offer are the result. This is the fourth year of production, so they have been well field-tested.

Base Camp also sell heat-proof washers, and I expect these are also available from suppliers in the USA.

You will find that these heat-proof washers are a snug fit. I "screw" them onto the threaded portion of the burner head, until the bottom section of the thread is exposed again. A squirt of WD40 helps.

I then attach the burner to the riser tube, and screw the burner on. This pushes the washer into position, evenly and with no damage.

DSCN0127-2.jpg

DSCN0127_edited-5.jpg

The above two photos are of a heat-proof washer in place on a one-pint burner.

DSCN0125.jpg

DSCN0125_edited-9.jpg

These are the corresponding shots of a heat-proof washer in place on a two-pint burner.

If you use a second washer under the spirit cup, just follow the same installation procedure

These washers are robust but only need to be tightened up sufficiently to achieve a gas-tight seal. They can then be re-used if you ever need to remove the burner head.

Some buyers have asked as to whether they should replace the washers on "new" stoves that they have acquired?

I replied: Once you have good washers it is easy, and cheap to replace those that came with a classic stove.

On the oldest stoves these washers could be asbestos-bearing, so keep them damp when working with them to help avoid dust inhalation, and dispose of the old washers safely,in a taped-up plastic bag.

I always change washers it if I am cleaning a burner, as I like to remove the burner and totally immerse it in Citric Acid. However, don't do this if there is a regulator needle inside the burner, or you will corrode the steel needle away very rapidly.

I would say that best practice with classic stoves, is probably to replace the burner washers, NRV washer, and cap washers as a matter of course, when you receive the stove.

The existing washers will probably be old and brittle and will give way when you least expect it, if you take the "If it ain't broke don't fix it " attitude.

I should have reminded everyone of the importance of making sure all the mating surfaces are absolutely clean and free of old washer deposits, before fitting the new washers. Many people have complained, on the Website, of non-sealing washers leading to fuel or vapour leaks.Subsequently,after getting advice from CCS members, they dismantle the burner, and find that the new washer has been unable to seal due to small lumps of dirt or old washer material left on the brass surfaces.

Many stove manufacturers machined a groove on the mating surfaces of burners and upstands, to encourage them to "Bite in" to the new washer.

DSCN0126_edited-6.jpg

The photo above shows the burner thread and mating face of a one-pint burner.

DSCN0128_edited-6.jpg

Here is the corresponding photo for a two-pint burner.

The mating face of the upstand from the tank is also grooved. These are some photos of the face of the upstand on a Primus No.5 stove:

DSCN0136_edited-3.jpg

DSCN0125_edited-10.jpg

These grooves need to be fully cleaned out before attempting to fit a new washer. I use a Stanley knife blade, but I quess any sharp, pointed scraper will do. You must remember to handle brass carefully as it is soft and easily scored with a carelessly-used tool.

Just for interest, you should note that the filler upstand on Primus stoves is also grooved to help sealing with the rubber compound washer used on the filler cap;

DSCN0137_edited.jpg

I hope the above information and tips are helpful.

Aren't stoves fascinating?

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

2. ulysses

ulysses United States Subscriber

Kerophile:

Great Tutorial! Great Photos! I'm awaiting the washers to up-grade my stoves. I'll let you know when they arrive.

Paul

3. jlgatton

Hi Kerophile,

What a great Tutorial and the excellent pictures will make this fettle almost Jerry proof.

Just as in Paul's case I'm waiting to receive your washers which several of my stoves are in need.

I offer my personal thanks for all you do for the CCS members,

Jerry

4. Henry

Another use for her best embroidery scissors :shock:

I would like to add these washers are the DBs
    I've removed one burner from an ongoing project 5 or 6 times and it still seals :D
    As K says you only need to tighten it down enough to form a gas tight seal.

5. kerophile

hi Henry, Many Thanks for the product endorsement.
    Damn, I should have spent more time building in the planned obsolescence though.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile

6. bajabum

bajabum United States R.I.P. Subscriber

Just got mine, now I have to discover a 'new' three legger to fettle...... :lol:

7. Jaymo

Kerophile, do you sell washers to fit BAT stoves? Mine has K3 stamped in it.

8. kerophile

Hi Jaymo, measure the diameter of the burner at the thread section. Or if you don't want to remove the burner, the diameter of the riser tube that it fits into, and then send me a PM.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

9. Jaymo

Yes, I will have to do that this weekend. IF I can remember to. I also want to find a replacement pump leather. I really like that stove, but, years of sitting without use or maintenance is not the best thing for them.

10. fyldefox

fyldefox Subscriber

Jaymo measure the diameter of the pump tube in millimetres and then contact our good friend Sefaudi who will sort you out with a quality leather.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  11. Neil B

I've been testing some soft aluminium washers instead of the fibre washers with good results.
    I have to file them to fit, but they don't leak. And I don't have to replace them if I take the burner off. The brass is harder than the ally, so the sealing grooves in the burner and riser cut into the washer to make the seal.

Neil

12. arthurr

will your washers fit an optimus 45, how much each and what's the process for buying them from you?

13. kerophile

Hi arthur, yes the larger size washers were made for Op.45s and similar stoves. I have sent you a PM regarding price and shipping.
    Regards,
    Kerophile.

14. RonPH

Kerophile, nice tutorial, I have to attest to the washers you sent as they are a snug fit and use minimal pressure to seat it firmly.

Ron

15. majorbenjy

Hi Kerophile,

I recently joined this site to get some information to get my old primus stoves up and running.I've done 3 out of the 4 I have but need some heatproof washers for a No.45 optimus - your post regarding washers came up in a search I did.
    Do you have any more washers for sale? I'm sorry, but I'm not very internet friendly so don't know how to PM ( Private message ?) you.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ben

16. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

I learn more every week here. Some of my stoves have no washer.

17. MrEd

Were would i get some of these washers?

I need 2 x filler cap washers, and 2 x lipstick burner washers suitable for a monitor picnic.

also the filler cap washer, and burner head washer for a burmos no21

Cheers

Ed

18. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Viton (rubber)& lead washers: Ross-Spiritburner,

Heat resistant (burner) washers: George-Kerophile

If you pm these gentlemen, they will sure help you out!

Regards,

Wim

19. MrEd

cheers, ross is going to sort me out!

thanks

ed

20. cooter303

cooter303 Canada Subscriber

I am in Canada. where can I get a set of these gaskets for an old optimus no 1s stove. It is the non collpsable one.
    thanks Scott