Heinze 'Kocher' German Army Stove plus accessories

Discussion in 'Petromax & Aida' started by Chris J, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Chris J United Kingdom

Now whilst I realise that this stove is by no means unique, it is utterly original, un-issued and unmolested. It's complete in terms of its tool kit and the spares are still sealed in their original packaging therefore I'd imagine it's certainly somewhat rare in that regard. With it are the instructions and full exploded parts diagrams; again this is not unique on this section I appreciate . It also has the original fuel bottle marked 'Benzin' with the reverse cap / pouring spout. However, what it also has which I have not seen with any other stove featured is the tin of starting gel. Again this is in 100% unused condition.

With a bit of fettling help from other members the stove is running well (currently on kero) but I have tried it briefly on standard diesel and unleaded petrol. Both seemed fine. It's just a beautifully (over) engineered bit of kit but that's so typically German. It's effectively the King Tiger of field stoves.
    Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 13.50.27.jpg

Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 13.51.42.jpg
    Burns cleanly on full power and turns down to a nice simmer without stuttering

Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 13.51.03.jpg

Starting gel - basically looks like Vasaline
    Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 13.52.26.jpg

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Chris J
    Did you use the quick starter to prime the burner or a slather of the starter paste?

3. Chris J United Kingdom

Heavens above no. I couldn't bring myself to disturb the museum quality surface of that sacred paste! Other than that, I'm not sure how to actually apply it! I did use some lighter fluid in the doughnut once and that worked fine, but generally I just fire up the blowlamp. It is very effective. Yes it drains the pressure off quite dramatically, but lit for about 30 seconds and it's good to go. Never run it for the full 90 seconds.

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Excellent!

Cheers

Tony

5. presscall

I guess it could only be in the depression on top of the tank where people who don’t use the quick lighter pool the meths primer.

30 seconds use of the quick lighter is good going. I usually indulge in a work-out (!) and maintain pump pressure for the whole minute-and-a-half.

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, @Chris J ,

As you say, these stoves are certainly not rare, but they do cost a bit, these days. I now have two of them, both came with all the tools, sealed spares, and no real signs of use at all. I keep one a virgin, at least for now, and fired up the second one at our recent CASG event. Great stoves, for sure, and super well made. As my quick lighter was in need of a new pip, I decided to use Meths in the big "dish" in the fuel tank, and it worked wonderfully. I also bought a steel windscreen, on the bay of evil, made in Taiwan, and it fit perfectly, and worked a treat!! Well worth it's $20 asking price, IMHO. After I replace all the seals, including the quick lighter pip, I'll use the QL, and see how that works. I'm sure it will work just as @presscall states that it does! Good man, he!!! Thanks for sharing your stove, and for posting it here in the Stove Reference Gallery! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

One caution about the QL. It can heat and quench the burner. Heat and quench can possibly crack the burner. So, it was suggested to slowly add kerosene to the heated burner. I believe it was BD that did the research after we all heard about the German users no longer using the QL.
    I have not been convinced that the QL was intended for a long term owner. Military exercise requires the speed of use.
    I use 10 ML of alcohol to prime with the added shield around the burner. Kerosene with a wick will also prime with the small amount of added smoke.

Trust me, getting parts for these stove are expensive.
    @Russenjesus also knows all to well.
    At some time in the future parts will no longer be available.

Ken

8. presscall

Interesting, Ken. I suppose the concern is that the quick lighter heat may be too intense, too localised. Incoming fuel quenches the hot metal on vapourising? Mmm, perhaps.

If I have doubts it’s because I’m aware from undertaking silbrazed repairs of burners that burner tubes conduct heat very efficiently and rapidly dissipate the heat from hot-spots. Indeed, I’ve had to heat-soak a burner under repair with a large kerosene blowtorch while at the same time using a MAPP torch to get the spot to be repaired up to silbraze metal melting point.

Additionally, though numerically stoves with quick lighters are in a minority, I’ve not had to repair a disproportionate number of burners from such stoves. In short, plenty of non-quicklighter primed burners develop leaks.

9. Chris J United Kingdom

Thanks guys. All duly noted. However, if I am honest, this is a bit of a showpiece in my collection. I have a great number of stoves and use all (ok I'm lying, MOST) of them in the field. This one is simply too nice. It's almost like a piece of naval engineering. I'm sure it will indicate North and predict icebergs or something. I just like the ooohs and aaahhs when I open the lid.

10. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

11. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Chris J

Well, you’d better go and find another one, because I can attest they are an outstanding car and base camping stove. So can @presscall, @Doc Mark, @snwcmpr and many others.

Cheers

Tony

12. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

An outstanding stove. In a class by itself.

13. Chris J United Kingdom

So I was sitting in a friends kitchen and he says 'Hey, my barns are full of off road and overland gear. Maybe you'd have a look through it and see if there's anything you'd like. Take what you want, sell it or whatever and pay me what you think it's worth.'

You can guess what happened next. Amid roof racks, waffle boards, bridging ladders, snow chains, high lift jacks, spare tyres and such was this square cardboard box. "Oh you'll like this" he says

It was the first time I'd ever seen one. I may have let out a little wee. Needless to say I left with the Hilux fully loaded but the only thing I could think about what that cardboard box and its contents.

14. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Classic case of stove pox.

....Arch