Hello from an accidental collector...

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Jennifer, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Jennifer United States

Hi all,

Thought i would finally say hello and introduce myself and my accidental stove collection! I’ve been prowling through the forums for a while now as I teach myself about all these stoves.

so...hello, my name is Jennifer and I think I have a stove problem...

I currently live in Atlanta and I love to go camping whenever I can. While I hike, I’m not a backpacker - I enjoy returning to a well kitted out campsite at the end of the day!

My stove collection started several years ago between camping and having a small sailboat. I wanted to be able to make coffee before the fire got going or cook if it was raining so I got a Trangia cook kit. Then I got a second smaller set to keep on the boat so I could make a cup of tea. Then I started staying overnight on the boat and researched marine stoves and next thing I know I’ve a Punker marine stove and that was perfect. Of course, in the search for that I bought a SS kerosene two burner roarer for $15 that was being sold as an alcohol stove, but I digress.

The Trangia did me for a long time camping, then I went through three 5 day long rainy, cold trips that revealed a need for better cooking potential. Over the next few years I added a few wood burning options(Biolite stove, Biolite fire pit, and a portable woodstove). Of course I also have half a dozen small twig burners and so on. One of these days I’ll dig everything out and see just how bad my collection is!

Ok that brings me to the past year. A friend asked me to keep an eye out for a Coleman two burner - the ones near him were going for $75-100 while around me it’s easy to pick up a 425 series for $25.

Guess who has a 425D now?

And while looking up troubleshooting for my 425 I ended up here.

Then I saw a Selus I had to have, then a pair of Descas, then decided I wanted an Optimus 8R, then my saved eBay searches served me up a stove lot with a never fired Coleman peak1 and a very lightly used 8R for a price I couldn’t pass up. I can’t quite figure out where I started acquiring stoves!

Anywho. heres the line up and I think I have photos for most of them!

2 - Punker marine two burners - one has a larger tank than the other
    Trangia alcohol stove(two of those actually)
    2 Optimus 8Rs
    Kerosene two burner - I need to figure out the brand on that one
    Selus no 37/38
    Desca 1 burner with box never used
    Desca 2 burner
    Coleman 425D
    Coleman peak1

28975EEA-3CBB-4E73-9249-3C773BB1B6F4.jpeg 89A11DB0-8BCF-40F7-A5C3-084EA246F3BD.jpeg A774E919-12E9-4031-9037-4B9BB046E155.jpeg D2CDBBE2-B52C-44FC-978F-F80BB2AA6486.jpeg 795B17C6-8088-45CA-992F-D1B113EF48E3.jpeg 03471CBD-4BA7-47D0-9C5B-CD9300A0D9E7.jpeg 946694FD-7169-4429-BAC4-E456B75B094A.jpeg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Welcome, Jennifer.

Cheers

Tony

3. itchy

Good morning Jennifer,
    Nice collection and pictures.

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Welcome to CCS Jennifer. A really useful collection you have there.

John

5. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Honest, I didn’t mean to be a collector! I think most of us started that way. Brad

6. Jennifer United States

Hi everyone and thanks!

I joke with a few friends that I’ll never not being to make my coffee or cool a meal ;) I’m the friend to have when the power goes!!

7. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Welcome! I don’t collect stoves either, they are free to leave any time they want. Most want to stay though. :lol:
    Ivan

8. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Welcome to CCS @Jennifer. A very neat collection there, and the wood burners are certainly not out of place here either, several Biolite owners which you may have already discovered.

I'm not sure if any members left school with the intention of dedicating a significant area of their future living accommodation to storing vintage brass.

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  10. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Welcome Jennifer,
    Camping, day hike and day sailor are of interest and taking-on cooking duties.
    Your collection reflects this and many members join your interests.

You've offered: "Kerosene two burner - I need to figure out the brand on that one"
    This is your stove in question?
    [​IMG]

What is it?
    That's a good question.
    Please confirm it is kerosene.
    There is a sticker on it (any clue there?), is there any manufacture tag anywhere or other markings?
    It, to me, has appearance of galley stove with back splash (which lends itself to alcohol or multi-fuel and i'm less familiar w/galley stoves).
    There are some Optimus Princess similarities but I don't yet know what it is.
    A closer look at burner assemblies and knobs may reveal burner maker (which often does not ID stove maker btw). A closer look at tank may help too. More detailed pics will help. There is a mystery stove category btw.
    The filler cap is definitely familiar (Optimus?) but it may be just that, a familiar shape/design and may not reveal exactly what it is / who made it? :-k
    -------------------------------------------

Your NOS Desca will make for an excellent ref. post down the road (take pics before you fire it up is all). If you've not seen it yet, fwiw this Desca post may interest you.

Thanks for your nice "hello" and the little background. Congrats on acquiring a nice collection and thanks for sharing those with us :thumbup::thumbup:.
    thx omc

11. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Welcome to CCS!

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, @Jennifer ,

Welcome to CCS!! It IS amazing how fast the Stove Pox spreads and strengthens, once it's got hold of you!! My lovely wife and I very much enjoy cooking on many of our collected stoves, and interestingly, there are most definitely certain stoves, and one specific oven, that she has claimed as her own!! Who'da thunk it??!!?? :lol:

You have a nice collection going there! Thanks for sharing them with us, and here's to many more happy years of being a Stovie, and a member of CCS!! Oh, and you might consider becoming a subscriber here. It's only a $9 annual fee, but once you are a subscriber, you have access to much more information than you do when you just stop in a visit us! Take care, happy stoving, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc and Sweet Bride

13. Lennart F Sweden

I think that mystery stove is based on Sievert/Svea domestic and marine kerosene stoves but it may have some influence from 1930's Radius too.
    Radius sold a batch of old tools to USA in 1963 so I guess it's US made in mid/late 1960's.

14. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Jenifer,
    Welcome to the addition, I too did not start stove collecting but my grandfather gave me an Optmus he purchased in 1924, that was when I was very young , I think about 14 or so , it all went from there.

Cheers
    Rob

15. Jennifer United States

@OMC - I made an assumption that my mystery marine stove is kerosene based on the pump and my limited knowledge three years ago. Now I realize it might as likely be a white gas stove. Back when I acquired it I was able to fire it up pretty well with kerosene. I can give white gas a try later and see what happens.

Gave the stove a wipe down and took some detail shots - no labels or marks that I could see. The sticker just said stainless marine stove

I’ll make sure to take some photos before I start playing with the Descas. I’m pretty sure neither of them have been fired!

E15ED71A-16AD-4CEF-AE86-0FA421C21D7F.jpeg 8831EC1C-72B4-4814-B9D4-35DC57C31ECD.jpeg 61E53612-4B7A-40F9-9609-4DC3752C5D1D.jpeg 78F320FF-17EF-4D29-991A-DC9C7A7B3C0F.jpeg 73DCD2E3-A6B8-4899-B487-84C29AA166C8.jpeg

16. dwarfnebula

dwarfnebula United States Subscriber

Marine stoves have pretty much never been made for white gas, it’s just too volatile and dangerous. Every marine stove I’ve seen has either been made for kerosene or alcohol. If you got a clean blue flame with kerosene then that’s the fuel it takes. An alcohol burner uses a much larger jet.

17. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Thanks all for input,
    Jennifer,
    We may never learn who is this maker but there is much to be learned.
    For now, going forward I would suggest:
    it is a galley/marine stove and
    not white gas.

I see less similarity w/Optimus in hindsight. The following comments have a Homestrand focus, so I want to say upfront, it is similar but I am not aware of a Homestarnd that looks like yours and have no reason to say it's even connected in some way (not yet).

The frame type (minus back splash) was used by Homestrand 126 seen here link.

*Homestrand used very similar rails.
    That said yours are butted where they fasten to frame (rails a little different / better than Homestrand).

*The tank type and general situ: between burners, pump front, filler cap top/forward is in-use with Homestrand.

*The same tank mounting and fuel line connections were used by Homestrand.

Above are similarities, not convincing for me (not yet).
    *Similarities are seen in this link and FYI there are many examples like that Homestrand stove.

there's more

18. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Re my:
    " A closer look at burner assemblies and knobs may reveal burner maker..."
    Maybe 1 step at a time, we can determine burner type.

It is a regulated silent burner (has a valve for gradual flame adjust: off-low-high.
    Is it alcohol, kerosene or multi-fuel.

Although there are many variations of alcohol regulated silents… in above link to presscall's example we can see his is alcohol.
    HOW you might ask.
    All regulated silent burners that have one thick cylinder as base (vs small tubes), the thick cylinder base will always be alcohol.
    209.JPG
    If the base of your burner resembles ^^^^ example.
    It is alcohol.
    end of "the easy part".
    ==========================

There are many versions of kerosene regulated silenet burners and a handful of such burners that are modified for multi-fuel use.

All these other versions (some alcohol) do not have the thick cylinder base. Instead they will have (in a variety of ways) thin tubes under the burners.
    Most such burenrs can also be referred to as 4-tube burners, the base having for 4 thin tubes.
    OPxyz.jpg
    the above examples happen to be Optimus but Svea, Radius, Primus etc. all offered their versions of regulated silent (4-tube) burners.
    I hope I've not just confused things...
    As is usually the case i'm short on time, I'll check back when I get the chance,
    omc out

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  19. Jennifer United States

With better light I found markings for Volcano Alemania. There’s one just like mine in the gallery. I’ll try to get into the shop later and check the burner configuration. I also need to check seals. Couldn’t pump up and pressure when I tested it earlier. The pump leather looks great, so seals are next.

Vulcano Double Burner Marine Stove

8326FA20-1194-4B5F-92CA-9B12791DB70B.jpeg

20. Lennart F Sweden

There you nailed it! The "Alemania"=Germany indicates it was made for a spanish language market.