Help dating this Model 2021 AGM stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Jay Tews, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Jay Tews United States

I Picked up this model 2021 istove recently had a flea market. It is in really nice condition and has its original box and paperwork. I haven’t been able to find out much information on it; but I did have one collector suggest it may have been made in the late 1940s. Seems like there are tons of variations of these AGM stoves. Especially a lot of decaf variations. Lots of different names and sometimes combinations of names. AGM, Scotsman, sun flame, Kamp Kook. This one is an American gas machines sun flame camp cook model 2021.
    Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

Check The Terrence Marsh Lantern Gallery The hunter green makes me think post WWII although it could be early 1940's. Stoves from most of the non-Coleman makers pre-WWII tended to be khaki/brown/sage green or black.

3. Jay Tews United States

Bill,
    I did look at Terry’s site, just didn’t see this particular model. I’ll keep that rule of thumb in mind afoul the pre war colors though. Best I may be able to put together the characteristics of similar stoves and make a guess.
    Thanks

4. OMC

OMC Subscriber

I thank you too @cottage hill bill

@Jay Tews
    1st following onto chb comment.
    I ask a couple favors.
    Can you do a tiny paint scrape on the bottom and assure us it is not a very nicely done repaint? The bright green is interesting and may be the only Sun Flame Kampkook like it? and
    re "It is in really nice condition and has its original box and paperwork."
    We may yet learn more here in this stove forum discussion. Eventually it will be much appreciated to post detailed images of this example of complete AGM model in the reference gallery. I thank you either way.

That said re chb's "The hunter green makes me think post WWII although it could be early 1940's."
    >>> it could be early 1940s <<< :thumbup::thumbup:.
    I have seen Sun Flame 2021 offered in 1941, a black & white image, so i suppose it could have been (an unexpected) bright green . There is *more...
    --------------------------------------

I presume "Sun Flame" is registered trade mark and there is a year range AGM used it. Amidst AGM's long eventful history.
    It has been said
    > "AGM first used the term Sun Flame in 1933"
    I add today that
    > Sun Flame was in use into 1941
    I do not know approx. last year that Sun Flame was in-use.

I post to also add that Sun Flame Model 2021 was featured in an (exclusive) Hardware Convention SPECIAL. A post card offer "...1941 models..." the 2021 with 3006 lantern for $4.95, quote "sold in sets only ... while supplies last".

The 2021 was offered as 1 part of "a set" in 1941. This does not mean it was the 1st nor the last we see either one.
    ---------------------

The 2021 research tied-into a 3006 and onto CPL otherwise I've done zero research on lamps / lanterns.
    It seems the AGM 3006 lantern is rare. Marsh has a 3006, the thought was c. WW2.
    A google search finds a @mackburner comment on CPL re a 3006 considering 1937-47.

3006 was offered in 1941 on a post card.
    *I don't know the original finish/color of the 1941 3006 but if sold as "a set" one would think the 3006 was plated or the same color as the 2021, no?
    I'm sorry I do not have permission to post image of the 1941 post card (found with "Sun Flame Kampkook" google search.

tag for cross reference, other Sun Flame Kampkook stove model #s 2022 and 2322

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  5. Jay Tews United States

! Can’t thank you enough. That’s a wealth of information! I picked this up on vacation, so I had not taken much time to look it over closely. What I thought at first glance was an original manual was not. I I have included pictures of it. It has what may be the date of the 11/40 on the bottom of the form. Even If that actually is the date, it only dates the form not the stove. Although the stove is a nice condition there are plenty of spots were the paint is worn through, or it is scratched. I scraped a little spot on the bottom as well for good measure. I am certain that the paint job on this stove is original. I took pictures of everything I thought it might be important on the stove. I hope this helps and thank you again.

6. Jay Tews United States

C80EF1FC-EA52-4C16-B4D2-6F3CF75CFB75.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. Jay Tews United States

8. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Excellent images, thank you.
    This is all fantastic. Hopefully we'll hear from others (sooner or later) and may learn more.

Again, all the details are great.
    I comment on one for now. Your "11-40" pamphlet:
    "List of gasolines approved as fuels for GASOLINE PRESSURE APPLIANCES ..."

Myself and others would appreciate seeing the complete document.
    Yours differs, maybe significantly, from the "10-37" printing seen here. credit Hazet.

Many items on CCS are quite rare, contributions to such content are much appreciated beyond myself here and now.
    Thanks again.

9. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Comparing yours, the more I look around I return to, i found yours as a
    1941 "Hardware Convention SPECIAL" :-k (re color, legs, gen.,) .
    I do not have anymore re your 2021 specifically.

I find yours has similarities with a few AGMs posted.
    Trevor's 2522 included, which has the most detailed images and he has reliably dated it 1947 :thumbup::thumbup: .

I increase Sun Flame Kampkook stove model #s for cross reference:
    2022, 2322 and *2522.

Yes, not sure why but Trevor made no mention his was
    *American Sun Flame KAMPKOOK No. 2522 , American Gas Machine Co.
    as seen on his 1947 stove and instructions.

update to
    It has been said
    > "AGM first used the term Sun Flame in 1933"
    I add today that
    > Sun Flame was in use into **1947
    I do not know approx. year AGM's use of Sun Flame ended.
    ** Credit Trevor's '47 example and that macburner had included 1937-'47.
    ----------------
    EDIT thank you chb for "4-38" pamphlet link below

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  10. cottage hill bill

11. Jay Tews United States

Thanks. I’ll take some more pictures of the pamphlet this weekend.

12. Jay Tews United States

Color comparisons. It seems to be kind of a grass green.

13. Jay Tews United States

14. cottage hill bill

It really shows in the comparison pictures above, and it shows even more when you use electrolysis to strip the paint, but the green Coleman used for 220/228 founts has a much more pronounced blue component than any of the other makers, any of the rattle can greens or even Coleman stoves. I have never been able to match that exact shade. Perhaps by taking it to a paint store and having a computer color match done, but that's more expense and effort than I'm willing to put into something as common as a 220.

15. Jay Tews United States

F7D5BF1E-4AF1-4CB4-947F-DF51DE4A237C.jpeg F3B77BAB-3889-4DC5-9AB7-3DEBDDE7244F.jpeg 89036F70-1F39-4DB0-8697-4C390E72C486.jpeg 10CFC320-51E0-4478-A6BF-7B3711C697AF.jpeg Here are some pictures of the 11-40 “List of gasolines approved as fuels for GASOLINE PRESSURE APPLIANCES”. The page order is from bottom to top.

16. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Thank you. Your pamphlet is
    complete
    and
    considerably different than the Oct. '37 version.
    Very interesting, for me anyway, on several fronts (ie the catchy brand names etc etc etc). It will take some time to digest it all. I'm certain to be referring to it in the future. Thanks again neighbor.