Help/input needed with an Optimus 155

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Dutch_Peter, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Dutch_Peter

Hi,

This is the cracked pump tube of an Optimus 155 boat stove:

1416696737-IMG_0820_opt.jpg

1416696755-IMG_0825_opt.jpg

It looks like a stress crack to me. The pump tube is listed as spare part 2319 for the Optimus 155, but it does not screw off the tank, so I'm wondering why it's a spare part and if anyone has ever removed one.

The solution I'm thinking of is to slide a slightly wider tube over this cracked pump tube and secure it with solder or kit.
    Just soldering a stress crack isn't going to work, if I've read correctly here on CCS.

So I'd like to ask for your help on these 2 points:
    1) Has anyone removed this pump tube from a 155 and if yes, how did you do it?
    2) How would you fix this?

Thnx for your replies,
    Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

does look like a stress crack so replacement of the tube is the only real option. Sleeving it will leave damage on the inside which will damage the pump cup. Most likly the tube is soldered on so should be unsoldered.

3. dday

dday Subscriber

I remember removing one from a double burner Primus, I think. From my memory the tube on mine just unthreaded and on the end of it was the end of the NRV. Maybe try carefully unthreading the cracked tube from the tank?

Dan

4. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Order the tube and work out from the new tube how it was meant to be installed. If its threaded, unscrew; if not, unsolder.

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Peter, I believe that the tube should be replaced.
    I looked at the exploded diagram:

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/Marine15.htm

It looks like the tube is screwed into the fitting on the tank. The drawing seems to indicate the tube is threaded on both ends.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  6. Longilily

Longilily Subscriber

Lovely Stove Peter, doesn't seem to bigger job, guess the replicating the threads will be the trickiest bit

Definitely doable though :thumbup:

Good luck

7. threedots New Zealand

Hello Peter. I have repaired a number of Optimus 535 and Primus 535 models and as Kerophile suggested, their pump tubes unscrewed anti-clockwise at the tank on them, which then gave easy access to the NRV.

I have no experience with the 155 stove but I have always thought that the pump tubes may be similar if not the same.

Cheers, John

8. Dutch_Peter

Hi, All,

You were right, it just unscrews ](*,)
    It took some force using pliers and the tube cracked even more, but it unscrewed nicely .. I was scared to use force, thinking that maybe the fitting would snap off the tank.

I have 2 (actually 1-and-a-half) of these stoves:
    One is a parts stove with quick lighters. The stove had been stripped of its burners and other easily removable parts.
    The other one was a (reasonably OK) working stove without the quick lighters. Unfortunately one of the burners snapped off whilst unscrewing.
    Together with other spare parts it should be possible to make 1 good stove out of the lot.

To cut a long story short; the pump tube from the other 155 screwed on well :content:

Thank you very much.

Thnx,
    Peter

9. Longilily

Longilily Subscriber

Great news Peter :thumbup:

10. xavi_242

pics or it didn't happen!
    :D

11. Dutch_Peter

Well, here are the pics :D

1416770277-IMG_0833_opt2.jpg

Here are the two stainless steel frames, they each come apart in 2 pieces. On the right is a tank without the preheaters and without the pump tube.

1416770376-IMG_0834_opt2.jpg

Here's the tank from the first pictures, but now with a non-cracked pump tube :clap:

So, thanks again for all your help!

Cheers,
    Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  12. Afterburner

I have 3,5 155's :lol: From my stoves I have removed pump tubes as you finally did just by screwing with pliers. I am wondering why there is no seal between pump tube and tank. :doh:

Here is instructions how to fettle quick heaters(in case you didn't notices my post and you have same type quick lighters):

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/28489

One of my 155's have older type quick heaters but that 155 is still waiting for full service. 8-[

hytta.de is having some spares for 155:

http://hytta.de/kocher/Optimus-Petroleumkocher-155W__Optimus-paraffin-stove,774.htm

I ordered service kit from them.

Also http://www.qvist.nl/ seem to have some 154/155 parts on their web page but I don't know if they really have them. :-k

Edit: Dish washer powder was very efficient to clean the pot grill and all stainless surfaces of the 155. I put 3 spoons of it to a cup cup of water and cleaned stains with it. The grill I put to dish washer powder & water solution to for few hours before rubbing dirt off with rough dish washing pad.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  13. Dutch_Peter

Hi Afterburner,

Thnx for the information on the quick lighters! I remember your post and I'd like to get the preheaters working. One of them seems ok, the other one may need work and I hope the plumbing isn't jammed. I've fixed Petromax Rapid preheaters before and they're pretty easy, once you get the hang of it.
    Qvist is about an hour's drive from here :D but quite expensive as well imho .. My latest spares came from hytta.de .

If the pump tube is tightened well, then it seals. But, applying pressure with a wrench on soldered brass parts is counterintuitive to me. Too much pressure and the pump fitting snaps off the tank :twisted: .

Peter