Help to identify small stove.

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Brassmonkey, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey United Kingdom Subscriber

Can anyone advise as to the make type and possible age of the stove in the attached picture?

For sale in a local bric-a -brac shop. Thinking of buying it.

Thanks in advance.

Brassmonkey.

Attached Files:

2. Ian

Ian Subscriber

It looks like an incomplete French Selus copy of the US M 1942 stove. There's a few listed in the stove reference gallery. Spare pot rests will probably be like hen's teeth, but if you have a good look at the pics, you may be able to sort something out.

Here's one...
    SELUS camping rechaud

Coincidentally, that's the second Selus needing IDed today.

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

4. Brassmonkey

Thank you Ian and presscall for identifying the stove.

I agree presscall that the tank does indeed look like it has a number of stress lines. Shame really as it looks a neat little model.

I am intrigued that the flame control on the pictures supplied by Ian is adjusted using the spanner shaft where as this one has a control knob. Does that make it an earlier model do you think?

Thoughts and feed back appreciated!

Regards

Brassmonkey

5. presscall

Looks more like it’s a pump knob adapted by an owner to fit the control spindle, or just been stuck on there at random. The shape’s wrong for a control knob and as a manufacturer, if you were going to the trouble of fabricating one instead if a key you’d have made the knob out of a heat-insulating material and not brass.

6. Brassmonkey

Now that makes sense presscall. Your experience and attention to detail bring clarity to the inexperienced yet again!

Thanks for the response. I will let this one go!

Cheers!

Brassmonkey

P.S I did buy the Brass CEAG Miners Safety lamp shown in the picture instead!!!

7. presscall

Good call, best of the bunch I’d say.

I can’t fathom what the device on the far left is. I’ve a feeling there’s something similar plumbed in under my kitchen sink, but couldn’t swear to it!

C6228658-7CE9-4428-B6BF-EDD5DADC1C81.jpeg

8. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

Is it a Carbide lamp?

9. Ian

Ian Subscriber

It's a battery operated safety lamp. The top part and handle rotates to switch it on and off.

10. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

OK. Thanks.

11. Brassmonkey

I agree prescall. This was the best of the bunch and has been added to my collection. It is quite rare and having looked at the prices they can fetch for sale I am happy with my lot!!

Ian is right it is battery operated!

I am a member of the South Gloucestershire Mines Research Group down here in Bristol or 'Brizzle' as we like to call it.

I have been working with a team on an Archaeological dig at a location not 5 miles from where I live which involves excavating a shaft and tunnel dating back around 1750's. The site once housed a Newcomen Steam Engine. One of several in the area used to dewater the coal field.

So far we have climbed down a 60 foot shaft to remove spoil that covers a tunnel which is recorded on deeds and particulars related to the site in its heyday. We will be the first to rediscover the tunnel in over 150 years. Once we are able to safely access we will survey and record the detail of the build and map where it goes. We know it meets with others across the area.

The above is done with a dedicated team who are experienced cave/pothole enthusiasts and qualified Archaeologists. All shafts and tunnels are related to air and water movement back in the time when the area was active extracting coal.

I would add any shafts or tunnels related to coal itself are left well alone for safety reasons and because it is illegal to enter coal workings themselves!

Brassmonkey

12. presscall

Thanks for clarification Ian. Not a waste disposal unit then. And @Brassmonkey too for that facinating insight into what strikes me as the sort of retirement volunteering activity I could fancy - a year into retirement now and not a lot’s appealed yet.

I don’t own a safety lamp but appreciate they’re a fine device. Form follows function and all that.

I think my Hydrolite acetylene lamp may have a mining connection, surface work at least, with its Swansea manufacture.

8457E7D6-6AFA-47AA-A072-D9A510362E84.jpeg

82F3A8A4-F576-4861-AE89-511F889ED868.jpeg

Clincher may be that it was missing a glass when I bought it but have since found that a safety lamp glass fits it like a glove.

0536A8F7-601E-48D0-AA8D-98BD8C45E058.jpeg

13. Brassmonkey

Wow presscall your Hydrolite acetylene lamp is an absolute gem!!!! Where did you come across it?

There is a mines expert in South Wales I know who may well have more information on this type of lamp and manufacturer. I for one have never come across one like it!

Would love one!

P.S. I am along way off retirement as yet and sometimes wonder how I manage to find the time to do some of the things I do. But I must admit by biggest fear is waiting until retirement to do all these things only to find ill health or something curtails the opportunity! It is sadly a story I see and hear all too often!!

I do hope you find something that takes your fancy. But what ever you decide to do I wish you a long and happy retirement.

Cheers!

Brassmonkey

14. presscall

Thanks for your best wishes @Brassmonkey Very kind.

The Hydrolite? It was an ebay purchase some years ago not long after buying my first carbide lamp, a bicycle lamp. A small collection, but a lot of fun.

15. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber