Help to identify this stove......

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by lanevitt, Aug 29, 2018.

1. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Hi

Just recently purchased this but can anyone identify it ? I see the brass burner is stamped "The Ideal Express" but all my searches show this to be combined with a tin outer casing.. So I'm guessing it's a marriage... but can anyone identify the aluminium outer of this kit ?

Many thanks in advance...

100.jpg

200.jpg

2. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Hello lanevitt,
    Thank you.
    re you're "...guessing it's a marriage".

I will comment as per request re aluminum outer but I'll like to see link to burner details or learn more re the burner as well.

My 2 cents: The shape of yours resembles older storm cookers which, imo, can be very difficult to ID. There are many that are similar and ones we do know the ID of have multiple versions. I ask a favor of you, please look as closely as possible with magnifier in various lighting hoping to recognize any mark in the aluminum.

There's a strong resemblance to a META 50 , credit @presscall , but it is not exactly a match.
    thx omc

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

@lanevitt
    Hi Andrew. Mark, @OMC , is on the right lines certainly but it looks smaller than that old Meta 50 style stormcooker.

In fact, I’ve acquired one (on the right) more like the size I think yours may be than is the Meta 50 set on the left.

FF185DD7-58B3-465E-BD5D-0D29FA7E17CE.jpeg

However, yours may be of a similar size, but there’s a difference in the size of the openings/air vents in the base and windshield.

I’ve a second set of that ‘small size’ which has the openings that most resemble yours in size - here on the left.

9B842F0C-FA17-46C7-AC5F-96AEE9F225AC.jpeg

Yet yours has a single verticle bar within each opening (unlike the two in the set on the left) but without the small hole above (or below, depending on which way up you look at it) as in the set on the right.

The set on the left is a Sigg product with a crossbow logo (very William Tell!)

4773CD76-02D8-4C87-AD74-26A1B81987AC.jpeg

The other one has the brand of the Swiss soup/stock manufacturer, Maggi.

3CAEB05C-4E70-4C97-9EF5-5C8677F142C1.jpeg

4A578038-B570-4767-83CB-AFC59278963D.jpeg

Another observation on the burners for these sets. The Maggi above has an indent for what I suspect was usually a solid fuel tablet burner, which the Swiss seemed to favour - Meta tablets and burners being a Swiss product.

A Meta solid fuel burner does in fact match up with that Maggi base indent. I know it looks too big, but it wouldn’t overpower the set because the scale of the burn could easily be pre-determined by burning an appropriate number of tablets. From a simmer (one tablet) upwards.

F48CD12A-3646-40F5-9BF5-2EA85EE9FDBD.jpeg

The Sigg set base doesn’t have that indent, but that doesn’t rule out the use of that type of burner in it of course.

A set of this type (and probably size) but with a rectangular opening cut in the base wall, was coupled with a Borde burner - seen here in a Sigg catalogue.

4F58F2D9-B9B8-48A1-A5D8-7D4C601EC7AD.jpeg

Your set Andrew looks to have openings all around the base, but my Sigg doesn’t (the Maggi does).

8E2D8C79-E064-4C96-AF8D-2AA1C61536E0.jpeg

It wouldn’t take much to get it to accommodate a Borde ...

A8C44C36-0663-4EFB-8320-287A77672159.jpeg

To conclude, it seems to me that the Swiss went for these types of sets in a big way and several manufacturers produced examples - not identical clones - sometimes with their brand on them (the Sigg for example) or commissioned to put another brand on it (the Maggi soup example). Others wouldn’t be branded.

Probably doesn’t clarify much!

John

4. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

@presscall you are a wealth of knowledge and an invaluable resource stove collectors like me. My hat's off to you.

Ben

5. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Hello John

Thank you for your superb reply... I too was on the Meta trail but with the vent hole detail being differenet It had me wandering through the reference gallery for a while.. I didn't look at the Sigg option..Trouble is the stove was only just purchased and probably in the postal system as I write..As soon as it arrives I will check for any stampings, the seller didn't make reference to any other brand than the one stamped on the burner.
    All we need is the postman to deliver it !!!! I know, If I stand by the front door it may get here quicker !!

All the best

6. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Well, it turned up and it seems very much like your stove on the left.. starp does differ and the vent hole pattern isn't quite the same, but apart from that they are so close. The aluminium is very soft and easily pushed out of shape if you are not careful.

7. OMC

OMC Subscriber

hello @lanevitt ,
    SO I'm a month late :oops:… as mentioned above, i'm interested in the meth burner as well.

With all due respect, might I ask a favor, can you do the magnet test on the burner, please?

I ask for double check if it is brass only because A. if it is brass, it is noteworthy. I hope to confirm it is brass BUT also that, on CCS we find,
    B. these were " lacquered steel", which is often made to "look like" brass (ie like many steel items with an antique brass finish).
    thx omc

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  8. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

No need for any magnets it is not of brass construction ...brass plated tin.

9. OMC

OMC Subscriber

lanevitt,
    Thank you.

here is your burner from OP:
    idealXprssBrnr1.jpg

ok
    It does differ slightly from other UK picnic stove burners but any rate it is not a "brass burner" (like *Trangias etc.). I maybe should have expected it was not brass but as mentioned, I hoped it was. We like brass, oh well, thanks again.

FWIW we might expect questioning of "brass plated …" ...anything. If by chance this discussion does develop further (in stove forum any/all comments welcome)…
    ------------

*There is a question i meant to ask earlier for **anyone with the UK picnic stove / IDEAL type burner:
    What is the > height and > width (at the base)? I wonder, approximately, how does it compare size-wise to Trangias
    either the basic modern Trangia?
    or the larger Trangia, Svea etc (old military surplus)?

There is no scale that I have found for these burners in the UK picnic stoves. Due to that if I "guess" that it appears to be larger than a basic (small) Trangia burner,
    I may be (very) wrong about that.
    thx omc
    (not asking for image, thx. Side by side image, eventually, would exceed any/all expectation).
    tags ** @logen @cmb56 @Primus 96 @shagratork

10. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

If you are a good boy and eat up all your dinner, I will do a side by side comparison for you... measurements too.

11. OMC

OMC Subscriber

I look forward to that, thank you. omc

PS
    TMI:"If you are a good boy..." Oh shoot, I don't have a chance.

Elders of our family are known to tell anyone who is single:
    "Be good and you'll be lonely, please be careful ".
    (I'm single, listen to my elders and can't get this smile off my face :lol:)

12. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Okay... here we go

Ideal Express burner Overall height ..47mm
    base width ...... 71mm
    max width at flange..78mm
    fuel well opening lip to lip.......39mm
    fuel well depth ......45mm
    number of jets ....... 16
    weight without lid ............ 61.58 gramms (bone dry) 2.172 oz

Trangia burner Overall height .... 42mm
    Base width......... 69mm
    max width at flange ....75mm
    fuel well opening lip to lip ...............39mm
    fuel well depth .........41mm
    number of jets .......................23
    weight without lid and simmer ring ...........71.19 gramms (bone dry) 2.51 oz