Help with my Coleman Matchlight Propane Grill Stove (9921A700)

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Wilbur McGee, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Wilbur McGee United States

My Coleman camping stove (model 9921A700, maybe referred to as 9921?) is having 2 issues. This is an early 2000-era stove but I still use it, particularly more so recently than in prior years as I am doing more camping now. It's in great shape so hopefully can keep it operating well.

First issue - I was in the middle of boiling a pot of water when I noticed the flame looked weak and flame was sliding up and around the bottom of the pot. It was odd as only moments before the flame was nice and tight and hot. I swapped in a different propane tank and unseated/reseated the regulator assy but it continued to produce a weaker more wavering flame. Everything else looks fine and is clean including the air inlet orafice up inside the stove. Coleman Support says the R430-565T regulator assembly identified in the manual is discontinued and I am not finding one by that specific part number anywhere online. I see a lot of "5430" regulator parts for sale and wondering if this will still work? It seems like a universal replacement part but not sure.

IMG-7911.jpg

Second issue - admittedly minor... the burner control knobs seem touchy. I can use them to adjust to a desired burner output, but then the flame jumps up a little when I release them. I keep going back and forth a few times adjusting down, they jump up, eventually I find a happy spot and just go with it. My instinct thinks this is just normal behavior from a small, inexpensive knob assembly but thought I'd ask the experts here! But since the stove is maybe 15+ years old so I'm hoping something could be replaced or cleaned or adjusted to get me back to better control?

Capture.jpg

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2019
  2. Johnathan Canada

If you run both burners on "high", do they run properly? It very well could be your regulator that is going. I had picked up a Coleman stove similar to yours and the controls were very touchy and on high setting they barely ran. I switched to a different regulator that I knew was good and it fixed the problem.

I think all these propane stoves use a standard 15 PSI regulator, it will be the connecting end into the stove that might be different. I think the 5430 is for the longer style, which I beleive should work on your stove.

3. Wilbur McGee United States

My burner control knobs still seem touchy...but I have resolved the flame issue. Turns out I had the typical 'bug in the venturi tube' issue! Doh! I just broke down the unit and saw it up there. One beetle was inside the burner head....and it's a good thing I checked the rest of the tube with compressed air as I found a second beetle!

[​IMG]

Now she's back to burning good as before, although still somewhat mushy and touchy knobs. I'd still be interested in learning more about any known issues or maintenance I might be able to do for them. Trying to avoid burning breakfast!!!

[​IMG]

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Good.
    Welcome to CCS.

5. jrs08

jrs08 Subscriber

It's amazing how bugs seem to take up housekeeping inside propane units. I have an old Coleman propane heater I bought used and could not get running well. Tore it apart and sure enough, a spider had made a nest inside. Blew it out, and it ran like new. jrs08

6. Wilbur McGee United States

I'm surprised Coleman doesn't add a screen over the air inlet like my BBQ grills always come with. I guess I could add one but I already put it back together.

7. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

On the liquid fueled Colemans, a bug can always get in through the opening where the generator is inserted. Putting a screen inside would just become a concealed screen that could get clogged. I don't know why they don't put a screen on the propane stoves.

....Arch