Here is my SVEA 123 burning.

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Ari, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Ari

Ok here is the burn shots of SVEA as promised. Is this doing what it should? If not can you all give me some ideas what I need to do. Thanks for the info on where to find the new flame spreader.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27782973@N05/7660018066/]My SVEA [/url]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Sounds and looks good except for a slight yellow flam tip. Could be a worn jet but more likely a fuel residue or choice. Is that petrol or white gas

3. Ari

It is running white gas.

4. hobowonkanobe

I just posted on your flickr page all my 123s ( yeah, there has been MANY of them) sounded like that, including the brand new one. look into A&H or the site sponsor here for a spare jet.
    I may be wrong here but I believe that also the jet from an 8R, optimus 199 etc shld work for it as well.

5. itchy

Is that a new production Svea 123?

Before I worried much about the little bit of yellow in the flame, I would put a pot on it and see if that makes it burn more blue. Also, simply raising the burner plate a tad has been reported to have big effects on the flame color and pattern.

6. Sparky

I agree, bend the legs down a tiny bit so the flame plate is raised a bit. This adds tiny bit more exposure do the fuel to the air and adds oxygen to the flame.

7. magikbus

Mine doesn't sound like that, it sounds more like a very big cat purring. It's an old Svea 123.
    Stan

8. Ari

This is an old one too.

It is this one from my resent post.
    My last topic

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

That's what most of mine sound like at full throttle. At lower throttle they have a fluttery sound. I actually use the sound to adjust the flame rather than actually looking at the flame itself. After you've used yours a while, you'll be able to tell simmer speed versus full throttle just from the pulse.

Some of my others have a deeper sound, more like a helicopter, which is an awesome sound in the woods, which creates an echo that either attracts or repels bears. So far, it's repelling all of the polar bears in the area... :oops: :^o

sam

10. Viscara

Originally Silicon Valley now in Netherlands.
    Is it me or is that spreader plate looking kind of flat? Also is this one of the brand new stoves evil bay? as the metal does not look like most other SVEA123? Perhaps try what the other said and bend the spreader plate legs as well as maybe show us a photo of the spreader plate and what the "DIP" in it looks likes.

11. clancambo

clancambo Australia Subscriber

It looks like a 123 Not a 123R. Lovely example

Ian

12. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

G,,day idahostoveguy
    you might have a problem
    all of my stoves repel every type of bear here.
    hahaha
    kerry

13. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

seriously.
    until some of these discussions. i didnt know that the flame plate distance could change it so much.
    obvious when i read the facts.
    thanks
    cheers
    kerry

14. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

The distance from the top of the jet to the base of the flame plate seems to be quite critical. Also, the shape of the 'dip' in the plate seems to have an effect - some plates have more of a point at the base of the dip than others.

The jet to plate distance can vary according to the setting of the jet, height of the bell, and the angle of the plate support arms. I have two Primus 71s, and the jet on one definitely sits lower than on the other. The arms on the plate will have been factory set and may need tweaking for your stove. The arms on brass plates are easier to adjust than those on steel plates.

The stove noise definitely keeps away the bears here in Sussex :thumbup: .

Regards,
    Terry

15. Ari

Here is the spreader plate. I put a 6mm bb on it to try and give some contrast. It sure does look flat in the photo but it is not.

1343599888-IMG_1886.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015