Hermes delivered me an item today...

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Colin Geer, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Colin Geer

Colin Geer Subscriber

It came in a box.

IMG_3764.JPG

IMG_3763.JPG

There were no distinguishing marks or warning stickers on any of the sides or the top or bottom. It was a plain cardboard box with a single piece of tape securing it and it was filled with foam chunks.

Inside the cardboard box was 5Ltrs of panel wipe. 5Ltrs of extremely flammable petrochemical fluid with a relatively low flashpoint.

IMG_3761.JPG

So how come was this allowed to be couriered to me? Did the consignee have to declare the extremely dangerous contents? If they did it didn't seem to affect Hermes decision that it was safe to transport! Yet if I send a 50 year old lamp or an old stove I am effectively forced to to lie to have it transported, even though most times it will have only minute traces of kero, a fuel that is way safer than any naptha based flammable liquid, but that doesn't seem to matter.

So what is the logic here? Whatever hoops the supplier had to go through, whatever paperwork they had to sign it makes no difference. This is allowed because there are commercial interests at stake, so no matter how dangerous transporting cans of panel wipe may be, if Hermes banned their transportation they would lose money, whereas banning us from from sending stoves and lanterns is small fry and it panders to the security services paranoia that we're all wild-eyed maniacs intent on causing societal mayhem (I worded that last part quite carefully, just in case). I'm sure Hermes will have some carefully worded justification, but it'll be a bunch of old bollocks! It just makes me mad as hell! (points will be awarded for the correct identification of that film reference!)

I'm glad I've got the panel wipe and I hope I can continue to buy it online and have it delivered, but I am genuinely fuming because it gives a lie to the nonsense we have to go through when send each other wonderful old devices through the post or via the couriers because that's our hobby.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

At least in the USA, would have to be a correctly labeled cautions box, by ground, under a certain quantity, that may vary by courier.
    Duane

3. Marc

Marc Subscriber

:-#

4. Afterburner

Same here in Finland. Courier & transport companies you can send flammable liquids, gun powder, ammunition, etc. if correctly packed & labelled. Postal system doesn't carry them maybe because logistics centers are not intended/safe for those kind of items.

5. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Right, I don't know about fuel, but buying ammunition by mail order here requires express labeling. I haven't ordered for a few years, but it was by US mail if I remember right. It's when I was doing a lot of Cowboy Action shooting, and commercially reloaded mail-order ammo was a lot cheaper than store-bought.

Of course, liquid fuel shipment presents more potential risks than cartridge ammo.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, All,

I used to order such things from out of State, but now it's illegal to do so in CA, or as I like to call it, "Commiefornia"! No ammunition, no Black Powder, nor other such things can be bought Mail Order. However, UPS will deliver that stuff, or used to. Not sure they still can, now that it's verboten in CA. Also, back when we did the PCT, it was completely legal to send kerosene in the US Mail. It had to be triple-boxed, and labelled in a specific manner, then could only be sent via Ground delivery, if memory serves. We had purchased 40 gallons of it, from a Feedstore who sold it in 5 gallon tins, and our supply person (Sweet Bride's Mom!) was filling our quart fuel bottles, and sending them in the Post to various Ranger Stations, or small towns near the trail. We would drop down to get out resupply of home dehydrated meals, fuel, etc., and send one box back with the empty kerosene bottles we had used since the last resupply. That system worked wonderfully, and we never had a single problem. I should check our Postal regulations today, and see if that's still possible. (Note: NO other fuels could be sent that way, just kerosene, for it's very low flash point.)

@Colin Geer , I'm glad you got your fuel, Sir, and hope that your success can be continued for as long as you want it to!! Well done! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

A few years back I ordered some carbide from Germany. It was the cheapest place at the time with free shipping. Go figure how they could even do that all the way to Canada?? Anyways...I was way surprised when it showed up in my mailbox in a plastic bag in one of those padded envelops. Apparently it isn't as dangerous as I thought. lol

The older I get not much of anything makes sense anymore. The issue with stoves is a real head scratcher for sure.

Alex

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I ordered some UCO strike anywhere matches a couple of years ago. They are getting very hard to get now. I vacuum sealed some of them for long term storage.
    They came airmail. I noted this to my postal worker, and she said that should have been a banned item. No need to identify, no need for a special label, no need for ground shipping. It is not an allowed item on USPS.
    UPS has added such a fee that that UCO cannot sell them anymore.

There were reports of strike anywhere matches igniting, inside the package, when the package was thrown. Maybe that was why I liked them, they actually worked.

The strike anywhere matches I get now are the worst matches I have ever used. I even have trouble lighting them on the striker attached to the box.

Ken in NC

9. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Hermes didn't pack it the sender did. I expect they just described it as 'Hardware' or something similar. I worked for DPD for seven years, you'd be amazed at some of the packaging - weight lifting weights loose in a plastic bin liner, ditto 2kg of nails, six bottles of whisky in a standard supermarket box with no packing, chainsaws leaking fuel, unmarked fireworks, unprotected laptops in plastic bags, 20 litre containers of methanol with brown tape over the Hazchem labels etc...