Hi Fettlers!

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by short tip, Apr 22, 2008.

1. short tip

short tip Subscriber

New guy here, after looking around the site (and my garage) I'm starting to realize I'm a collector! 2 Primus 71's, Optimus 8R, Hank Roberts Mini (Once owned a Gerry Mini) and a wild looking Sievert 925, propane I know, but still has some soul. All these stoves have had long and fulfilling lives, and some now need some attention. Problem 1: My older Primus 71 seems intact, will pressurize and start pretty well, but after a minute or two it starts spitting a little (shoots little fireballs) and then seems to lose pressure slowly. You can shut it off, wait a minute, and repeat the performance. Fun to watch, but not good for cooking. As much as I have used these stoves, I've never had one apart past the jet, so go easy.......Thanks in advance!

PK

2. armory127

Welcome aboard :lol:

3. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Hi PK,
    Probably you are losing pressure thru a hardened cap seal. Replace it with a new seal or o ring (nitrile) . These 'self pressurizing' stoves don't have much pressure to start with.

4. Henry

That's 5 then, couple of months time there'll be a few more and ........ :roll:

As Steve said, I'd look at the filler washer first.

Welcome by the way :D

5. short tip

short tip Subscriber

Thanks for the welcome and the help, guys! I changed the cap washer, you were right, it was dry and shrunken, but no love. Maybe a slight improvement. Yellow flame that slowly dies to a candle. This one's an oldie, my newer (60's) 71 roars right along. Checked the valve stem and riser tube (not sure of my nomenclature here) and everything seems OK. Packing in the valve stem?

6. Henry

I think if that was leaking you'd get a flame from there, try taking the burner off the tank the wick may be carboned up

7. short tip

short tip Subscriber

Thanks, I did that, wick looks clean (what I can see) Is it possible to remove wick entirely? I was afraid it would never go back up the tube......... Looks like I have a spare, from a bag of parts gifted by a friend. Not sure it is for this stove, but it is in with a couple of new jets. (I did put a new one in - no love.)

8. Henry

The top of the wick where it doubles over the wire normally gets tarred and scorched.
    I'm sure this stops the fuel vapour rising.
    I've pulled the fold through a bit before now that seemed to do the trick.
    And yes it is a bit of a game to get an old wick backinto the tank, just try hard ;)

9. short tip

short tip Subscriber

Thanks Henry. Before I saw your post, I returned to the garage and checked the fuel level, it seemed a bit low. (Stove was dry when I started playing around a couple of weeks ago) On a whim, I swished, shook and then dumped the tank, and refilled with fresh fuel. She runs! Guess I need to do a thorough cleaning. This little stove has seen parts of the world I likely never will. Thanks for the help, I have always believed that 90% of fixing something is paying attention to it.......

Anyone have a trick method for restoring the roundness of the burner? This one has taken a few knocks,

10. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

Don't get too carried away with the cleaning. Some stoves are like cats and will never forgive you for doing that.

NOT EVER ! !

There are those who will try to tell you stoves are inanimate objects and have no emotions. Well, I suppose they might be, but still....................are you willing to take that foolish chance?

As for the burner being out of round, if it's workin' OK, I wouldn't go messing with it unless you simply can't sleep or eat knowing it's out there.

In the garage.

On that shelf.

Out of round.

I subscribe to the school of thought that posits " If it ain't broke, don't go fixin' it."

Welcome to the forums (Forae?). We need more folks with a sense of humor. We have lots of 'em, but we always need more.

Gerry

11. short tip

short tip Subscriber

Thanks Gerry, I'll just clean the innards so I can have some hot soup and coffee, my efforts on the outside will probably be limited to scraping off the remnants of someone's Mountain House goulash (or worse)

Imagine my joy, upon arising from a sleepless night, in reading your post about the oval burner. Scratch one off the to do list, now I can get back to something important, like polishing the inside of an antique fly reel.....

Seriously, folks, thanks for all the help. I'm learning. I love old stuff, it's absorbing on many levels, not the least of which is - It's repairable!

12. Henry

Quite right that man

13. justjeffrey

Gerrys post made me laugh out loud.

I am that guy who not only can't sleep but I won't sleep till Ive fixed someting that has me bothered.

14. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Well it's 'fora', apparently - but I've never, ever heard that word used in the UK - we say 'forums'. The only people I've ever known to use the word 'fora' are two certain Dutchmen... ;)