Hipolito No.1 NOS

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by hydro451, Apr 19, 2010.

1. hydro451

A Hipolito No. 1 NOS , still in plastic.
    Looks just like Kerophiles Geniol , internal link here :

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/5475

Except mine tank is obviously marked Hipolito , but the RSB is marked Hipolito on my stove and Kerophiles , so some how they are really the same stove - any info on the relationship between Geniol, Petromax, Hipolito and BriteLyt much appreciated

1271688594-hip__1sb_kit.jpg 1271688635-hip__1sb_tank_2.jpg 1271688664-hip__1sb_tank_graphics_1.jpg 1271688680-hip__1sb_tank_graphics_2.jpg

It's hard to see , but the spindle knob is exactly like Kerophiles on the Geniol

1271688725-hip__1sb_sb.jpg 1271688742-hip__1sb_kit_box.jpg

Any help on the relationships in this letter from BriteLyt would be very nice

1271688759-hip__1sb_kit_letter.jpg

Tom

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. itchy

A while back I ran across an exchange between a Britelyte customer who had ordered a "Petromax" stove from the Britelyte site and received a Hipolito. As I remember it, the customer complained and was slammed and berated by the Britelyte site owner who claimed (1) Hipolito was just as good as Petromax and (2) Hipolito now made Petromax (??). I wouldn't trust what the Britelyte guy claims, but it seemed to me that Britelyte should just call a Hipolito a Hipolito.

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, I believe that the Hipolito Co. in their Portuguese factory, were licensed to manufacture Petromax pressure lamps in the 1980s and possibly earlier.
    Hipolito at the same time were making their own Hipolito H502 pressure lamp, whose parts are interchangeable with the Petromax original....Go Figure.
    I have always rated the Hipolito products very highly and have had no problems with build quality or performance.

Tom, your stove looks to be one of the last produced by Hipolito before the factory sadly closed in 1999. Mike at Base Camp sold off some of the final production and a friend kindly gifted me one of these stoves at that time.

My stove has since been used but I still have the original box and instructions etc. I found it really annoying thet this stove appears to have been sold without a reserve cap. I guess your is the same?

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. hydro451

Hi All,

Thanks itchy for the added info - seems all these companies were the same at one time or another

George, yes mine also came without a reserve lid - I looked carefully in the box when it arrived and it wasn't on the stove itself and there's no place to park one , so I just assumed it came with out one - strange.

I agree George this is one of the last of the Mohicans, sorta speak - late 90's most likely. And I agree that these Hipolitos stoves are of high quality - well maybe not my Sunflower - but all the others are very good quality.

Tom