Hipolito No.2 Marine Kero Stove

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Bob M, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Bob M

This never fired stove is fitted with a gimbal mount. The pot rest legs are riveted to the tank to keep the stove from falling off when suspended.

1394077237-Hipolito_Marine_Kerosene_Stove_opt.jpg

1394077284-Hipolito_Marine_Stove_2_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Bob M

Here is a close up of the tank with the stampings.

1394078320-Hipolito_Marine_Stove_tank_closeup_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

Nice little "Sea Swing" style stove Bob. Is it newly made and available over the counter or NOS and made of pure unobtainium?

I've got three differing styles of "Sea Swings" in my stove pile and I'm always looking for another.

One of mine was sold by "Force 10" with an address in BC and has a sticker on it recommending diesel oil as the fuel. I wrote them a letter asking if they had actually tried to use diesel in one of the stoves and what the results were. They answered than they just assumed diesel would work. and asked me to email them what I thought would be better since I brought it up. I emailed them that since the primus type pressure stove came on the market in the late 1800's kerosene was the fuel of choice as recommended by the manufacturers world wide. I also said that I had experienced acceptable performance from deodorized mineral spirits (paint thinner).

Gerry

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

I think this is the first time I have seen an Hipolito in a sea-swing.
    It is a wonderful example and obviously has never been used.

It has a very interesting arrangement to keep different sizes of pans in place.

I might have missed it before, but I also don't think I have seen pot rest legs riveted to the stove.

5. Bob M

Hi Gerry,
    It's NOS that had been "warehoused". The seller did mention the name "Force 10" SE 17.
    "Unobtainium"? :lol: I don't think "Atomantium" either. Just nice brass that I won't even touch with polish. Keep whatever patina it has.

6. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Nice stove. I like the spring bars designed to hold the pot securely centered over the burner. I have a soft spot for these gimbled stoves having used a Sea Swing with a kerosene Optimus 45 while sailing down the Pacific coast of Baja in 1974. They really do hold the coffee pot level even heeled over under sail in rough weather. Believe me coffee is important pulling night watch duty.

7. Bob M

Having sailed the Great Lakes in races I TOO know how much a "fresh pot" is appreciated on the "Mid Watch". :thumbup: :thumbup:

8. Capt Don

Capt Don United States Subscriber

I have one just like that! Mine, however, is anything but unfired! It has been on numerous cruises on all manner of boats. I love the Hipolito #2 stove, it is a really nice piece of kit, well built and a reliable as the sun. This particular sea swing design is probably the safest of all the sea swings, as it is so deep, there is no way the pot can jump out.
    The hard part is finding pots and coffee pots to fit the small diameter of the rings.

I found a great "milk frother" pot that fits perfectly and holds a lot. For coffee, many of the larger Bialetti Moka pots fit well, as does a number of the smaller vintage perk pots. The big issue is handle placement, if it is too low it can prevent the pot from sliding all the way in.

On open boats, I find a roarer burner works better to cope with the breezes, so I also have one of them to fit when using it on my small boats. But it is really a lovely piece when fitted with a silent burner inside the cabin. It just makes one feel warm and happy to look down the hatch, in the pouring rain and spray, and see the Hipolito quietly hissing away, doing its job, while he boat pitches and sways over the waves.

20181216_194735.jpg

20181216_194752.jpg

9. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Like our late great friend Nordicthug, I have one of these (without swing) from Force 10 in BC, marketed as a diesel-burning marine stove. The "modification for diesel" that it claimed was simply a very large spirit cup.

It has a regulated burner, and I have used it in the kitchen a lot over the years. With kero of course. A very good stove.

I've always been a fan of the Hipo stoves, particularly their great graphics.

10. Capt Don

Capt Don United States Subscriber

Yes the graphics are top shelf! Love the seahorse and Arabic writing. When polished up they are a really stately looking stove. Ive been pondering replacing the rivets on the legs with tapped screws so I can remove the swing unit, as I really enjoy this stove more than most of my others.

I have one of the Force 10 cabin heaters that has a "diesel" modified regulated kero burner. It will "run" on diesel, but it takes a lot of preheating...think blow torch on high. Once preheated and running it does burn diesel pretty clean, but I know the burner is not happy. Its happier on kero or low odor mineral spirits, by a long shot.