History of allotment find please.

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Mrsh, May 4, 2021 at 7:15 PM.

1. Mrsh United Kingdom

Hi, I found this on my allotment and have had it stored for a couple of years. We’ve just googled it abit and know it’s a Swedish army issue mess stove.

We don’t know how to tell if it’s aluminium or steel and wonder how’s best to clean it up?

best wishes 8CB14CD3-AADC-4E4E-97D5-7DA8651C1492.jpeg C73016C2-609C-4104-BF29-3BEE10B79739.jpeg AD51C059-14A2-45A2-848C-66519F11C962.jpeg

2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

It's years since I played with one of these but I seem to recall they're aluminium for lightness although some parts may be steel for strength - use a magnet. The best way to clean it up is with detergent and hot water - just wash it in the sink with the cutlery and crockery...

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

That’s the version with an aluminium pot but there’s another where the clasp is welded to a stainless steel pot and not rivetted as on that one.

4. Marc

Marc Subscriber

That's got the dull look of alumin(i)um.

Great find, they're ridiculously expensive these days.

5. Daryl United States

Looks to be the AL version with two indented rings around the upper section of pot. SS version had only one indented ring. Your 1966 kit should have a plastic fuel bottle and a trangia brand burner also. Take a look in the Reference Gallery for some examples. Use food safe cleaners on the inside of pan and maybe simple green on the outside. Really great cooking system and provides enough heat for thin fry pan. Daryl sunny SoCal
    100_1437.JPG 100_4304.JPG 20200401_083209.jpg 100_4290.JPG

6. Daryl United States

Might add: The outside windscreen came with that reddish brown finish, that OK. The pan looks to have been place in wood fire or PO used dirty type fuel. Here in US denatured alcohol burns clean, no soot.

7. Lennart F Sweden

You have the original finish on the windshield made in 1966, late ones were matt black.
    Your pots are not year stamped but details and material grade indicates mid cold war - the most common production time.
    It looks like the pots had the green paint removed, very common and in many cases with intention to sell it as brand new and earn more money - most of the never painted are from the last batches in 1980's.
    M40 / M44
    Swedish military "Enmanskök"(one mans stove)

8. Fettler United States

Just curious, "Allotment" is a terminology not used over here. Can you translate that into Bloody Yank vernacular? :)

Whatever it is, wish I'd find stuff like that!

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Allotment is a community garden I believe.