Hole

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by JP2, Nov 7, 2018.

1. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

What is the hole for where you screw the top cap when the stove is in use?

Thanks

IMG_20181107_105058.jpg

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @JP2 as you say this is a parking boss for parking the reserve cap when not in use.
    During manufacture the parking boss is soft-soldered onto the top of the tank. If the boss has no hole, the air inside will expand on heating and displace the solder making attachment difficult if not impossible.
    By having a hole in the cap, the expanding air escapes through the hole and the soldering is successful.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Ok, and now is it plug? I mean if I don't screw the reserve cap on in use, does the air will go through? Also I am getting ready to fire up my new stove and only that seal cap has not been changed. Can I used a cork or the plastic from a yogurt container. Thank

4. Afterburner

Hole is only through the parking boss not through the tank.

5. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

What is the difference between a nrv washer and the HDPE nrv washer. Thank again

6. kerophile

Traditional washer for NRV made from lead.
    HDPE WASHER is made from a plastic.

Best Regards,
    George.

7. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

I never seen a traditional nrv washer but Julian send his nrv washer with that king of washer. Is it a tradition one? Or it is better? Thank

IMG_20181107_120212.jpg

8. kerophile

9. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

HDPE - 'High-density polyethylene'

10. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Ok but I am letter confused now, what a HDPE washer LOOK like ? Does Viton is also call HDPE? Or Does HDPE IS ALWAYS IN A SOLID or soft STAGE for its property. ??????????

11. kerophile

OK. HDPE is a fairly flexible plastic. It is widely used in making food grade bottles used for milk and soft drinks.

Viton is a flexible rubber-type compound. It is often black, but is available in other colours

Lead is a soft, dense metal, if scratched with a sharp object it will reveal a bright shiny surface.

Regards,
    Kerophile.

12. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @JP2

If you take some time and look through this link, you will see examples of lead, HDPE and Viton washers appropriate to their use on stoves:

https://fettlebox.co.uk/index.php

Tony

13. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Sheesh.
    Duane

14. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

@Tony Press
    Thank tony, actually I did order parts from there since August 9 and I still don't have it YET and on that order it has some HDPE PARTS FOR I CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCES but ?????? It seem that Post Canada did give the parcel to somebody else with my name on it ?????? Also I did order parts from Base camps on juin 27 and that order has been lost and another same order has been resend by the end of sept and lost too. Base camp did ask for a claim on the first order because Royal mail and Post Canada could not find anything on that tracking parcel and 2 days ago BOUM I did received the juillet 27 parcel that was lost and now nobody knows what happened with the resend order. In the mean time Base camp could not send that same order again because they don't have all parts needed to comply that order but now they got their money back (maybe already) and don't need to send again. Go figure.

Lately, I have read a post saying how important was the sender responsibility but if one person between the start and the end doesn't follow regulations, at the end, the receiver doesn't have what he or she wanted and everything is find. GO FIGURE.

NOW with Kerophile's teaching of this morning, I will go with the D system and make things happened. F T R but safety first.

Here I should add that in the mean while I have bought many stoves from GB, US, PERU and CANADA without any problems. Plus 2 of them did arrive with fuel in the tank and small smell but without any problems. Go Figure.

Thank you very much Kerophile for your time this morning, it is very appreciated.

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

That is some bad luck.
    2 orders lost.

Ken in NC