1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home made burner bell and plate for a '96'

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Twoberth, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi,
    I bought a cheap hand bell souvenir on holiday, as it was made of plated steel and looked suitable for a home made burner bell for a '96' stove. You can buy the equivalent on ebay for a few pounds/dollars/Euros.

s-l225.jpg

After drilling a hole in the base (top?) to match the lipstick burner head, I cut the hand bell down to size, and file four notches for the burner plate to fit on. I then drilled and filed some air holes and slots, and brazed on a piece of 15mm copper plumbing pipe. Before brazing I slit the cylindrical pipe lengthwise, straightened it and cut off a thin wedge from one of the edges so that it formed a truncated cone when bent back together. By stages, I filed the cone edges until I got a tight friction fit on the lipstick. I then squared the ends and brazed the cut edges back together and onto the bottom of the bell.

DSC05101.JPG DSC05102.JPG DSC05105.JPG DSC05103.JPG DSC05104.JPG

I cut out the flame plate from a piece of brass (from an old tank) to fit in the notches.

DSC05106.JPG DSC05107.JPG

Initially I had only put in the elongated air holes in the bell, but when I lit the stove the flame was blue and yellow/orange, so not enough air. So then I drilled the extra round holes and the flame was much better.

DSC04961.JPG

Total cost 4 Euros. I would probably use thicker brass or steel for the next flame plate. The burner is currently fitted onto a Monitor stove with home-made pot legs to give the correct height. I haven't run it for extended periods, but it works well to boil water for a brew.

2. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

That was pretty handy. Like most projects we see here, only a hand full of fettlers have the skills, still a good job.
    Duane

3. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Canada Subscriber

Excellent bit of work!

4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

Great eye spotting the potential of that bell! :thumbup:

5. Colin Geer

Colin Geer United Kingdom Subscriber

Nice retro-fitting! Using that bell was a really good idea!

6. Jeopardy

Jeopardy United Kingdom Subscriber

Good to know that a steel bell will actually work. This type of stove relies on thermal feed back through the bell and the collar into the lipstick. I would have been doubtful that you'd get enough heat transfer though the steel to maintain vapourization of paraffin inside the lipstick.
    Clearly my doubts were unfounded. Well done on a good and tidy looking fettle.
    Regards
    John

7. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Nice bit of work . :clap::clap:

8. Twoberth

Thanks for your comments. John, I was a bit concerned myself that the heat transfer into the lipstick wouldn't be enough, which is why I made sure that the copper collar was a good fit and made good contact with the lipstick over as large an area as possible.

9. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

10. Twoberth

Thanks Murph,

I remember seeing that post with the brass bell and also a post by Kerophile who modified a plant pot stand for a trivet. Both these posts have changed my mindset when I go to flea markets/car boots - in that I don't just look for stoves, but for other items that I can make stove parts from.

This brass vase was 20p (30 cents), and I am sure there is a small (or large) roarer flame ring in there somewhere!

DSC05112.JPG

11. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

12. Twoberth

13. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber