Home-made windshield/case for a Svea 123

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by kerophile, Jul 31, 2016.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

I was recently gifted a Svea 123 by a very generous stove-friend in the USA. This lovely stove came in its really neat Sigg aluminium case, but I wanted a case/ windshield so that I can use the stove outdoors.
    I have had a small project underway to make such a case for it.

This is still a work in progress but following @Tony Press comments about a similar requirement I decided to take some photos today, and make a post here.

I obtained a 100mm diameter stainless steel kitchen storage pot approx 130mm high. I made the cut-out with a thin abrasive disc fitted to an angle-grinder and then drilled the ventilation holes using an electric drill and a set of indexed drill bits.

Here are the photos:

The Sigg-cased Svea 123 as I received it:

P1090732.jpg P1090733.jpg P1090734.jpg P1090735.jpg

P1090737.jpg

Here is the stainless steel case/windshield that I have made for it:

P1090738.jpg P1090739.jpg P1090740.jpg P1090741.jpg

Once out of its Sigg case we have the Svea 123 in the home-made Stainless steel case/windshield:

P1090743.jpg P1090744.jpg P1090745.jpg P1090746.jpg P1090748.jpg

I have chosen the Kerophile trivet for use with Ibriks and my small kettle:

P1090749.jpg P1090750.jpg

After use the the whole outfit can be packed like a "Russian Doll" into the home-made windshield/case making a secure small volume for storage or transit:

P1090751.jpg P1090752.jpg

Finally here are a few shots of the stove operating in the home-made case:

P1090657.jpg P1090658.jpg P1090659.jpg

Please note that the three photos above were taken before all the ventilation holes were drilled in the case/windshield.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016
  2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Pretty neat job and setup.
    Duane

3. gideon SotM Winner

i need to do the same right now...

4. Etherman

Etherman United States Subscriber

Hi George

Great work! I like how it all nests neatly together as a good user kit.

Ren

5. SGL70

Impressive. Great job!
    Greger

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Excellent work kerophile.
    Your windshield looks like it was made for the 123.
    Of course it was made for the 123, so maybe I should have said 'made originally by the manufacturer'.

7. orsoorso

orsoorso Subscriber

Hi Kerophile,

please, do not take this as criticism, but I dare suggest to add a heat shield between the burner and the tank, there is a lot of backward reflected heat from the bottom of pans, and 123 are hot tanked by themselves to be helped in that sense.

(presumptuous suggestion driven by envy for that really professional looking add on, mine tend systematically to look like crap)

8. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Nice kit! I always like a set that fits together neat and makes a self-contained setup all complete. really great work.
    Ivan

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks, @kerophile. That's the kind of thing I was thinking of - you've done a great job with that stainless steel container! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers

Tony

10. Giri

Very nice!

It has me thinking if one of those Ikea utensil holders will work as well.

11. zeke79

I agree with this post!

12. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

Very nice stove, and great job on the wind screen. One correction: this doesn't look like a 123R, more like a 123, and looks like an older one. Congratulations!

....Arch

13. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Mmmm... Yes, @ArchMc. It certainly looks like a 123.

Tony

14. kerophile

Hi, @ArchMc , and @Tony Press , you are of course both correct. The stove is an early Svea 123, with the downward sloping control assembly. I will ask a Moderator to correct the title and text.
    Thank you.
    Best Regards,
    George.

15. kerophile

Hi @orsoorso , you are correct about the need for a heat-shield to prevent potential over-heating of the fuel tank. I did say the project is a work in progress, and I have been considering my options. I took some photos of possible alternative pot support arrangements and will post them later. I will also share some thoughts of the design considerations which stove makers must have faced in making cases/winshields for stoves, since this exercise has certainly brought them to my mind.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

16. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce SotM Winner Subscriber

Looks good! And a great carry case as well. Nice job, well done.

Cheers
    Rob

17. kerophile

Hi, as promised here are some thoughts on the case/windshield I am making:

1. At the moment I have retained much of the strength and structural integrity of the case by having only one large cut-out and a modest number of additional ventilation holes.

2. This means that the lid fits, and the case is a viable storage/transport container. I have to load the stove into the case via the top and having a fixed heat shield would be impossible. I could construct a movable heat-shield that could be positioned after the tank is loaded, or insert a partial one via the front cut-out, but this relies on any operator being aware of the need for a heat-shield whenever the stove is used. It is also one more loose piece to be lost!

3. My trivet/pan-holder grips firmly onto the top of the case, helping to make the case more rigid and offering good support for whatever pan, kettle or Ibrik I chose to use.

4. An alternative approach to the case/windshield is to adopt a front-loading design similar to that used in the 1930s Primus No.71L:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/primus-71-e-−-mid-1930s.27916/

Here the front cut-out extends to the top of the case, an intergral heat-shield is fitted, and the stove can now be front-loaded into its case.

5. The rigidity of the case, which could be compromised by the big cut-out, is retained by the integral heat-shield. Cooking pans are supported on three brackets riveted to the top rim of the case and placed equi-distant around the circumference.
    This approach allows a good gap between the top of the case and the base of any cooking pan being used, which should help avoid overheating of the outfit. The lid of the case/winshield is deep enough to still locate on top of the case for transport/storage.

6 I had done some preliminary work on following the side-loading/ integral heat-shield approach and had taken photos, although I did not include them in yesterday's CCS post.

Here are some images, showing pan-support brackets temporarily stuck to top of the case/windshield. In practice these would be mounted on the inside surface ot the rim, so as to still allow the lid to be used:

P1090754.gif P1090755.jpg P1090756.jpg

7. If I now install a heat-shield just below the level of the burner, I can cut a slot in the front of the case and into the heat-shield, which will allow the stove to be front-loaded into the case/windshield. Alas, the presence of the fixed windshield means the case can no longer accept the SIGG-cased stove for transit/storage, so goodbye Russian Doll.

As I worked on this home-made stove case I have come up against the same design choices of stove designers long-dead. Compromise is the name of the game as some choices preclude other options.

I actually have three identical stainless steel kitchen containers, as my supplier (a Charity shop in Edinburgh) would only sell the set. This allows me to experiment and perhaps have more than one final design.

These are my thoughts, which I share with you, and I await any comments.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

18. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

@Giri

The ikea utensil pots may well be a good starting point they are stainless steel as well, I had a go with one but found it a bit tough to cut so made a bit of a mess of it and gave up!
    Cheers Nick

19. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

@kerophile
    You could also go low-tech on the heat shield -- just a sheet metal disk with cutouts to allow it to be arranged around the valve riser and over the tank, and with some tabs bent down to maintain an air space over the tank. This is what was done with the Phoebus 725.

Almost seems a shame, though, as the rest of your design is so elegant.

....Arch

20. kerophile

Hi Arch @ArchMc and fellow CCS members, I did consider making a three-legged stool-type heat shield but thought it would take up too much space when packing the outfit.

Here are some photos of the current prototype.
    This is the Russian Doll Svea 123 case/windshield with removable heat shield:

P1090777.jpg P1090776.jpg P1090775.jpg

The first image shows the outfit packed in its case/windshield, the trivet, heat shield plate, and case top are then removed and in the 2nd and 3rd image, one can see the SIGG-cased Svea 123 in the case/windshield.

P1090774.jpg P1090773.jpg

Images 4 and 5 above, show the SIGG container opened, to reveal the Svea 123 stove.

P1090772.jpg P1090771.jpg P1090770.jpg P1090769.jpg

Image 6 above, shows the interior of the case/windshield, and in image 7 the stove has been inserted into it from the top. The 3 support nuts for the heat shield can be seen at three points on the innner circumference, and close-ups of two of these nuts/supports are provided in Images 6 and 7. These nuts/supports have been carefully sized so that the Svea 123 stove in its SIGG container, can still fit in the case/windshield for transit and storage

P1090768.jpg P1090765.gif P1090764.jpg P1090763.jpg

Image 8 above shows the flat doughnut heat shield and trivet alongside the cased stove. The heat shield is inserted from the top and is supported on the three nuts (Image 9), The trivet is then clipped onto the top of the case/windshield (Images 10 and 11).

P1090762.jpg P1090760.jpg
    P1090779.jpg

Finally we have a couple of additional shots to illustrate the relative position of the heat shield (Images 12 and 13)
    The nuts are fitted on stainless steel button fasteners, which provide a secure and neat finish (Image 14)

As I said earlier, I still have another two containers which could be made into cases/windshields, perhaps with the heat shield permanently fixed in the case, and the front cut-out extended to allow front-loading of the stove.

P1090781.jpg P1090782.jpg P1090784.jpg

However, the removable heat shield does allow the whole outfit to be securely gathered into a single package for transit and storage and I believe that the Russian Doll approach has a lot going for it.

P1090780.jpg P1090783.jpg

The heat shield can be stored either on top, or inside the case/windshield for transport and storage.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2016