Homemade double burner stove

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Twoberth, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi,
    Being 'confined to barracks' I spent a few days in the workshop pursuing a project that had been in my mind for a while. Can I make a stove that fits all my needs for my outdoor activities - day hikes, fishing, overnight camping, multi-night camping. This is the result and details of how I made it.

The details of how I made the tanks are detailed here. I made the pot supports from steel by brazing as shown below.

DSC09612.JPG DSC09614.JPG DSC09615.JPG

and then I laid out the major components.

DSC09616.JPG DSC09647.JPG DSC09676.JPG DSC09677.JPG DSC09678.JPG

I used two Primus 96 burner bells and flame plates, but made the lipsticks from stainless tube with brass caps brazed on, and the jet hole drilled in the caps. The lipsticks were tapered before cutting off the tube to form stubby lipsticks.

DSC09693.JPG DSC09694.JPG DSC09679.JPG DSC09680.JPG DSC09683.JPG DSC09687.JPG
    DSC09688.JPG DSC09689.JPG

The brass gauze inside the lipstick was rolled around a straight pin so that it can be removed when necessary.

DSC09701.JPG DSC09703.JPG DSC09704.JPG

This is the right hand burner test fired

DSC09692.JPG DSC09691.JPG

These are the two burners together

DSC09695.JPG

and the left hand burner test fired

DSC09706.JPG

and the two together

DSC09716.JPG DSC09717.JPG

So, the two stoves were designed to fit into mess tins to be used for day hiking.

DSC09723.JPG DSC09724.JPG DSC09725.JPG

The frames for the burner pot stands were made from aluminium angle sections pop riveted together.
    The two square frames were made as separate items, but hinged in one corner. The hinge pin can be removed to produce two single stoves.

A single stove in its frame can be used for overnight car camping

DSC09727.JPG DSC09728.JPG

and the two frames lock together form a two burner stove for multi-day camping.
    The tanks can be located at the sides, in a diamond (to take larger pots), or at the front.

DSC09729.JPG DSC09730.JPG DSC09731.JPG DSC09732.JPG

The hinge allows 90 degree movement and a simple nut and bolt locks the stoves into either position.

DSC09733.JPG DSC09734.JPG DSC09735.JPG DSC09736.JPG

When in the diamond position the stove allows a decent size fry pan and a big billy to be used together

DSC09738.JPG

Stay safe and have fun.

2. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

That is brilliantly well designed, self-made and ditto documented!
    For that - I bow to the worthy @Twoberth

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Twoberth
    Very smart. Are the jet orifices in the ‘lipstick’ vapourisers 0.23mm as they’d be in the ‘96’ stove application for those burner bells? What’s your technique for drilling the holes?

4. Michelangelo Carone

my compliments project created by an art master
    Michelangelo

5. Twoberth

Hi John,
    The holes were drilled using 0.32mm drills from @igh371, then peened down so that a 0.23mm pricker is a snug fit. The best way I found to peen the (thickish) brass cap is to use a flat punch on the inside and outside.

I am still developing a technique for drilling. I have had many breakages trying different techniques, mainly because I am hurrying too much.

Two that work most of the time are.

1) Start with a piece of brass sheet that is comfortable to hold with the finger and thumb of both hands, and plan on drilling a series of holes a suitable distance apart. Put the drill into a small finger chuck, and put the finger chuck into the pedestal drill chuck. Then punch starter dents with a 45 degree pointed punch. I don't use the pedestal drill handle to bring down the drill, I bring the piece to be drilled up to the drill bit by hand and use slight upward pressure to make the hole. Concentration is the key, making sure that you keep watching and keep raising the workpiece vertically while holding it horizontal. As you will know, any slight lateral movement will break the drill bit. I have found that the flexibility of hand holding the workpiece is better than the rigidity of clamping, where even the slightest misalignment leads to failure.

2) Put the drill into a small finger chuck. Put some music on, and put the kettle on and make a brew. Sit down and drill it in stages by hand. DON'T have the TV on, you will look up and break the drill!

Having said all this, after a couple of breakages this time I was on the point of reverting to your hypodermic needle method, which is a bit less delicate to execute.

6. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

That's incredible my friend, from concept to execution. Wow. :thumbup:

7. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Really impressive. Thank you

8. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

That is a nice looking stove made by a CRAFTSMAN! Well done.

Alex

9. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Nice job.
    Duane

10. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Vision, skill, and perseverance all at their very best:thumbup: And to be compact enough to be able to take one in a mess tin is brilliant:D
    All that is needed now is the freedom to take it out for use intended:mrgreen:
    Ian:thumbup:

@Twoberth

11. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

That's very well made! Nice one!

What provision is there to seal the lipsticks/feed tube during transport? Remove and fit a bung similar to 96s etc?

Alec.

12. Optimust

Optimust United Kingdom Subscriber

Optimust.

@Twoberth
    Thank you for posting your very clever
    Idea of a double burner. Very flexible to use
    single or double. Idea;s like yours make
    CCS an even more valuable resource than it is now. Thank you again, & Best regards.
    Optimust

13. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Extraordinary.

14. Twoberth

Thanks everyone for the comments.

@presscall . John, I replied to your questions earlier but I forgot to 'alert' you.

Very good question. This is still a bit of a problem, since I can't use the usual 'rubber washer on a spring' gadget that I use to cover the jet on conventional burners, as the burner top isn't fixed in this case.

DSC09743.JPG

So the best I can come up with at the moment is a cheap thimble lined with rubber on the base and sides. It grips well when twisted onto a dry burner lipstick.

DSC09741.JPG DSC09742.JPG

15. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Monitor Picnic deals neatly with the transporting issue.